Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What supermarket do you use and why.

jace1969

I have always wanted to know this as i have tried a few but i will make 100% what i mean and i mean as good as 1 shop (All under same roof)

As a carer full time i have to do all under 1 roof,well 99% of the stuff as time is a big thing and also have to look at labels being for what we can/cant eat.

I shop at asda and been there for years because of (quick pay tills open at 7/lot of branded makes to choose from if wanted/big selection(own brand/and branded)

Ok i know a lot with a big family that cost does come into it,i have tried Aldi and i come out with not a lot of stuff so needed to go to another shop so more time.

Being only me and dad its always a small cost and as i should say a lot know on here when you have to stick to a diet so you have to have certain foods.

Be good to know the main reason not only the money side.

I use both Tesco and Sainsburys regularly.  It's only myself to shop for but I do have to avoid certain foods that I'm intolerant to...means a lot of label reading or buying the already known 'safe' items lol.  I only ever use self-checkouts but both shops have them.

I prefer Tesco tbh, I have an Extra just 5 mins away by car (or 20 mins walk) so frozen stuff never defrosts, they usually have better offers on, they use the 'price promise' thing so the branded shop costs the same as it would anywhere else, and I prefer a lot of their own brand stuff as well.  Plus the Clubcard points give me a few pounds off vouchers each year which is nice.  But I also have a Metro about 2 mins away buy car or 15 mins walk...they never seem to have the items I want in store!

However, Sainsburys sell a few things that I prefer over the Tesco items so I tend to go there once a fortnight (before a main Tesco shop) to get those items.  Plus they have a cheaper fuel station and free tyre air machine which I find useful.

I rarely use ASDA as there isn't one local any more, but do occasionally use them, I find their own brands are usually cheaper but contain ingredients I can't eat, plus they don't have a loyalty card system so no point for vouchers.  They're also good for cheap 'household' items like kitchen bin, washing up bowl, drainer...and not forgetting their 75p toilet brush in holder!!

Don't like Morrisions, never have done lol, not really sure why!

I use tescos.

tried Aldi and Lidl and found myself having to do top up shops for the stuff they don't do, not to mention the lifespan of their meat when even in date leaves a lot to be desired; it smelled and tasted funny.

Nowt wrong with our fridge either

Every now and then I'll use sainsburys but not often enough to count

got to be Tesco it on my door step

Sainsbury's and Waitrose. They are both the biggest supermarkets and practically next door to each other! The Sainsbury's was rebuilt a few years ago so it's nice and modern, whilst Waitrose is Waitrose! :wink: The store atmosphere is one of the most important things for me.

Mum uses Tesco Express for odd things but I don't like Tesco particularly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I use both Tesco and Sainsburys regularly.  It's only myself to shop for but I do have to avoid certain foods that I'm intolerant to...means a lot of label reading or buying the already known 'safe' items lol.

I prefer Tesco tbh, I have an Extra just 5 mins away by car (or 20 mins walk) so frozen stuff never defrosts, they usually have better offers on, they use the 'price promise' thing so the branded shop costs the same as it would anywhere else, and I prefer a lot of their own brand stuff as well.  Plus the Clubcard points give me a few pounds off vouchers each year which is nice.  But I also have a Metro about 2 mins away buy car or 15 mins walk...they never seem to have the items I want in store!

However, Sainsburys sell a few things that I prefer over the Tesco items so I tend to go there once a fortnight (before a main Tesco shop) to get those items.  Plus they have a cheaper fuel station and free tyre air machine which I find useful.

I rarely use ASDA as there isn't one local any more, but do occasionally use them, I find their own brands are usually cheaper but contain ingredients I can't eat, plus they don't have a loyalty card system so no point for vouchers.  They're also good for cheap 'household' items like kitchen bin, washing up bowl, drainer...and not forgetting their 75p toilet brush in holder!!

Don't like Morrisions, never have done lol, not really sure why!

You are spot on to what i mean,you know where i come from saying certain foods and yes i do eat a nice few branded makes for a few reasons.

Time is a MASSIVE thing for me,i went round Aldi the other day and was shocked on not a lot of choice or branded makes to choose from and the tills are just stupid,there is no quick pay and for a small amount of items i was in a massive Que which didn't help me at all,30 mins just in a Que.

Why do people like Aldi so much and always top,there is no staff/no fast pay/not a lot of top brands,is it this why there top as no overheads.

• Like 1

I use Tesco mainly, very occasionally Sainsbury's and very rarely Waitrose for certain fruits that Tesco don't stock.  Soursops, for instance.

One of my biggest factor in choosing one supermarket over another, is actually the layout of the car park, and how much shrubbery and trees they have, for Brandy's pre and post shopping ablutions. 

My nearest Tesco, has an avenue of trees on islands with low non-prickly shrubs, in addition, scattered between the rows of car park spaces are individual trees and the whole site boundary is mixed planting landscape incorporating existing mature trees and woodland.  Brandy doesn't like multi-storey car parks full stop, non-stop howls of angst follow just upon entering. :sad: The nearest Asda has huge one, no shrubbery and the smallest of surface car parks: so we've never used Asda, although in terms of stock it's monumentally huge.  Whilst i could park on the open top level, there'd still be no shrubs and Brandy would find the journey up there traumatic:sad:

There's a Lidl that we pass on the way to Tesco (both on A349), it might be cheaper, but they don't have the range of products Tesco do, and apart from one solitary beech tree, it lacks shrubbery for Brandy. Their car park itself looks like it was laid in a piecemeal fashion by several "£50 for cash gov" itinerants, resplendent with tyre destroying and suspension wrecking pot holes of staggering depth and breadth.:ohmy: They don't have anything like self service checkouts and they don't seem to believe in having no  more than two tills open, even when customers are queuing up the aisles. Not a good place to shop if time is a factor or variety is important. It strikes me their business model is a supermarket from the late 1960's, like an over sized Spar.

I don't know of any Morrisons around here, there is an Aldi about 3 miles away, but I never been there. I know they don't have a car park and customers have to use the NCP one, which of course is not free, and lacks shrubbery

My nearest Tesco is an Extra, and there are two further Extras (3 and 4 miles away), should mine not have something I urgently want. I always use "scan as you shop" and I prefer their loyalty card scheme, which as Tom has already mentioned, gives you money off vouchers for your actual shopping.  As opposed to , say Nectar Points with discounts from other stores, for things you'll never buy or days out you don't want.

Apart from an incident when I ran out of vinegar on mid Sunday morning, I don't use the very local Tesco Express in the village. It just as easy to drive the 1.5 miles to the Extra.

I use a lot of Tescos own brand stock, preferring them over big brands in many cases (loo rolls and cat litter spring instantly to mind).  I tend to buy on unit price (per kilo, per sheet, ) rather than just buy it because it's on offer.  Tescos helpfully, have the unit price below the actual price on the aisle label, for those of us that shop that way, which saves time doing calculations at each product.

• Like 1

I use Sainsburys or Morrisons.  Both simply because they support farmers(being one myself).  Buy my milk religiously from Sainsburys, as I know their milk contracts are very very demanding and you have to jump through hoops + they pay a decent price.  And veg we get from morrisons as, as far as I know and have been told, they do pay a good/decent price for the veg.  But we get meat from the butchers, mainly because it's better value for money and he also pays a good price.  As for fruit we go fruit picking in the correct season and then buy it from either of the 2 mentioned above.  Morrisons is in town and Sainsburys is about 10 miles away in Whitchurch or 13 in Shrewsbury.

I mainly use Tesco for groceries, and always use them for fuel.  Mainly because the store is clean, well laid out, their own brand items are great quality and the Clubcard scheme is simple - spend money and you'll get some back.

I'll sometimes go to Lidl, but not as often.

15 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

Buy my milk religiously from Sainsburys

You're not given free milk by your employers then?

Asda, as its the largest and closest.

Tesco here is full of numpties, then there are the customers.

Sainsbury's generally speaking is more expensive.

Morrisons is a land far far away, so I cant be bothered.

I use tesco or Lidl. I find if we shop for fresh fruit or veg at asda it seems to go off really quick,also the bill seems to be higher at as day too

4 hours ago, GMX said:

You're not given free milk by your employers then?

Used to by my last people, within reason we could have as much as we wanted, used to get a 6 pint carton every day.  These one's no.  1.  He's a funny so and so 2.  Incase there is TB in it or something else.

Im glad i asked this as its true that most people do use 2 main supermarkets to complete there shop,i have 2 large Asda's by me so i just stuck

to them and a tesco express which i can walk to in 5mins,i wish a big tesco was closer as being 24 hour it would be great for me,asda is great as i

can get most under one roof,i like the idea where our asda opens the doors at 7 for quick pay customers  so quiet and im in and out in just over 30mins.

Sorry for Aldi people but ours is like a scrap yard,everything everywhere even when just opened like bread thrown on top of biscuits and so on.

I use Tesco mainly due to their price promise thing and the club card points. I do the occasional shop at Morrison's but very rarely. Also, Tesco do super unleaded whereas Morrison's (or at least my local one) doesn't.

I do also like the scan as you shop at Tesco.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Im glad i asked this as its true that most people do use 2 main supermarkets to complete there shop,i have 2 large Asda's by me so i just stuck

to them and a tesco express which i can walk to in 5mins,i wish a big tesco was closer as being 24 hour it would be great for me,asda is great as i

can get most under one roof,i like the idea where our asda opens the doors at 7 for quick pay customers  so quiet and im in and out in just over 30mins.

Sorry for Aldi people but ours is like a scrap yard,everything everywhere even when just opened like bread thrown on top of biscuits and so on.

The Elgin store (local to me) is like that, hence why I avoid it.  That and the staff have no skills when it comes to dealing with customers!  I tried to purchase alcohol twice before, once using my Young Scot Card (A.K.A National Entitlement Card) as proof of age, only to be humiliated in front of a long queue by being (loudly) told "we don't accept those - you can't purchase this!".  A few people behind me commented that it was ridiculous and every other shop accepts them, which made me feel a bit less stupid. 

Another time I tried again, this time thinking it'd be fine as I had my (then provisional) driving licence...  Guess what, I was refused again!  Their response was "do you have your counterpart?".  Obviously I didn't as it was in a safe place at home, and due to be abolished by the DVLA anyway, but in another raised voice I got "well we can't serve you alcohol as that isn't valid proof of age!". 

I would have made a complaint with the manager, but chances are he/she would have been just as ignorant and backed up their staff.

So, needless to say I now don't shop there at all, unless I am desparate. 

Asda 1.5 miles away Morrisons 2.5 miles away. Aldi in between. Used to use Tesco for home delivery, but no longer do so because they have removed so much stuff we like from the website list. Tesco store 10 miles away.

So in the main it's Asda and that is because my son works in Asda warehouse up the road so gets 10% discount. Morrisons once a month maybe.

By enlarge I prefer Asda bins as they are easy to get in and out of. Where as Morrisons bins are a nightmare due to them being in a secure compound complete with guards and dog. 

Edited by Joss max
spelinks

By the look at it that most people go on how local it is same as me,asda is close and a large one so a good amount of stock.

The staff there are nice and a lot of them,prices are ok but when you only get a small amount each week being only 2 of  you to feed you can go for better stuff.

Tesco, Co-op and Lidl all within a couple of hundred yards of each other are the only supermarkets here. We use all 3 for different stuff but mainly Lidl as our daughter works there and gets a staff discount :wink:

lidl for most stuff, then tesco for the last few items lidl dont do.

See a lot use 2 or 3 places for shopping,i can get most from asda in one go each week as if anyone is in the same situation where running round

2 or 3 places is very hard if leaving someone at home and also earlier is a lot better as it gets mad after 9.30 area,you have to try and work round

so much stuff,the places i can do most round is like asda i use and places like Tesco/sainsburys as they have a big selection from food to house stuff.

All these seem ok but asda is closer and open the quick pay at 7.

I'm not a slave to any particular supermarket. I tend to pop into Sainsbury's most regularly because there's a small Local round the corner and it has most of what I want. Even though there's a Tesco Express even nearer, it's a horrible shop. The manager can't run it to save their life and the queues are anything but express!

Can't stand going into larger shops and will only do so if there's something i specifically want. This tends to be when I have people over or if I know there's an offer on the expensive clothes cleaners - Morrison's are doing a deal on Bold liquitabs at the moment by the way 😉

Used to go to a small-medium sized Asda nearby, but found the quality of the food was shocking of late and only getting worse. Like, I'd buy sliced flavoured chicken and it'd need wringing out before I could eat the stuff. Literally, I could have a wash with the amount of added water in it.

Occasionally trek over to Waitrose when i want a decent bit if bread 

The only place I will make a particular effort to go to above any other is Home Bargains every few weeks. They can't be beaten on value for money with cleaning items and personal grooming.

God, I lead a boring life! 😁

See as for fresh things like chicken i never get as ours are frozen portions like chicken/fish and a branded name,the only fresh things i get is fruit/bread.

I think that the same store in another place is never the same and being just me and dad its good stuff but fast stuff,im a 1 man band lol.

I use Lidl and Asda mostly. We don't eat a whole lot of frozen food, pretty much all fresh so we end up in the shops every 3-4 days (it suits me). Aldi is perfect if you don't care about brand names. Their fruit and veg is always good and they tend to have good deals on cold meat and cheese which I use for lunches. 
Asda is where I do get the brand names I can't do without, like HP sauce and such. Asda's fresh prepackaged dinner things are also very good if I am short on time. Lovely dishes that you simply bung in the oven!

I used to always shop at Morrisons, and aside from not opening till 8am and closing early I enjoyed shopping there without complaints. But it is now on the opposite side of the city from me.

I've never liked Tesco. I find them expensive if you are only shopping for a couple of people rather than a family. They (multiple stores) also have refused me alcohol on many occasions even though I was 20+ and have a full driving licence (and car in the car park...).  Their customer service is really lacking in my opinion. 

Here is another thing,how many males on here do there shopping like on there own,i have been doing shopping for over 7 years now and its a

thing you have to get use of,i stick to a brand name as Arwen said from asda and just there own make like milk,don't think much of the fruit from asda

which i have to get as its trying to find the best and goes off in a few days,when i started shopping i always looked at the price (male thing) but now

being i don't get a lot of stuff i tend to go for brand more and also by a lot in bulk,frozen stuff and say milk so then no need to rush for more and when on offer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club