Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issues with engine idling

ItsAnArse

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Fiesta Finesse 1.3 Duratec, I bought an aftermarket head unit and fitted it yesterday. All works fine, blower dials all work fine too. 

After that it wouldn't start when I wanted to go out, tried a few times and it only starts with a bit of throttle and then runs fine just like it has done. I've tried sticking the original head unit back in but the issue persists. 

Today I've had all the dash off again to check connections, all is fine. Checked all the fuses in the glovebox, all fine. Decided to disconnect the battery for a while to see if it reset anything. Same issue. 

I've done some research and it looks like the idle control valve is at fault. I've had the intake manifold off to access this, cleaned it up. Reassembled it all, same issue. Still starts with throttle but when you take your foot off the revs go down until it stalls. 

I assume the sensor could be completely faulty or something else is at fault.

Whilst I was there I replaced a pipe that leads to a valve(?) of some sort in the top of the valve cover. I've read this is a VAC pipe? Correct me if I'm wrong. It seemed to have been taped up as there was a huge split in it, apparently common. It has been replaced now. 

Can anyone give me any recommendations as to what the issue might be? I've hardly used the radio and would very much like to!

OBD shows no error codes, battery voltage at 14v whilst running, no lights on the dash whilst running. Drives fine as long as you don't let it stall. 

Attached is a picture I took once I had the manifold off, this engine has a huge air box on top that isn't pictured. I've read a lot and I've had trouble finding much for the 1.3 Duratec. Mostly for the 16v Zetec engine. 

Thanks!

IMG_20160908_191048.jpg

Fixed the issue by replacing the throttle position sensor, it was reading as between 29 and 31% at all times regardless of throttle position. 

Were is the throttle position sensor located,as I have similar issue with mine. And want to check mine

So my idle issues are persisting but they aren't as bad. I have ordered a new idle air control valve and will fit that. 

On 14/09/2016 at 10:37 AM, 1.6 tdci zetec s said:

Were is the throttle position sensor located,as I have similar issue with mine. And want to check mine

Your TDCI engine will be different. On mine it's located at the front of the engine on the right side behind the thottle body. 

My Haynes manual covered this after I'd figured out where it was. There's some Ford workshop manuals online if you just Google it. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club