Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bought a StreetKa .....and started...

SzabiKa

Hi everyone, 

I just bought a StreetKa 2 weeks ago. 06 reg, ICE edition. I got it for £900. 59k miles in the clock. 

After reading horror stories, I couldn't resist. (I like trouble...I promised myself not to buy Italian motorbike after my first very negative experience 5 years ago...still doing it...and getting Italian bikes).

So far good, only a few issues.

- servo is a bit "funny" at slow speed, not too smooth..like has oil cubes in the servo instead liquid

- of course, doesn't blow cold air, even if I put the temperature to the lowest settings, fan still blows warm (not hot). On the top setting, you get cooked in 2 minutes

- rear window heating isn't working on the hard top - may be a fuse issue, I have to check it

- aircon... feedback light works on the button, but no cold air

- slight coolant leak, I lost around half a litre in 10 days - 200 miles

Any kind of suggestion welcome. 

It has 4 new tires, and I just changed oil, filters and plugs...

I need some quick help. 

I think the engine fan isn't working. I checked the fuse, it is ok.

When I start the car and switch on the AC, is the fan should come on straight, isn't it?

Where can I find the relay? And where can I order a replacement one?

On 25/10/2016 at 4:14 PM, SzabiKa said:

So far good, only a few issues.

- servo is a bit "funny" at slow speed, not too smooth..like has oil cubes in the servo instead liquid

- of course, doesn't blow cold air, even if I put the temperature to the lowest settings, fan still blows warm (not hot). On the top setting, you get cooked in 2 minutes

- rear window heating isn't working on the hard top - may be a fuse issue, I have to check it

- aircon... feedback light works on the button, but no cold air

- slight coolant leak, I lost around half a litre in 10 days - 200 miles

Any kind of suggestion welcome. 

A one way trip to the local scrap metal merchant wink.pnglaugh.png

Well, you did say any sort of suggestion!

On 27/10/2016 at 4:11 PM, SzabiKa said:

When I start the car and switch on the AC, is the fan should come on straight, isn't it?

Where can I find the relay? And where can I order a replacement one?

Ok, if my first suggestion is (rightly) rejected, yes I am sure a radiator fan will run if the a/c is running. Though if the a/c is disabled due to the pressure switch sensing not enough refrigerant, then the fan may not run. You may be able to see if the a/c clutch on the compressor is engaging, though I am not sure how easy this will be on a compact car.

Following the a/c pipes should locate the pressure switch(es), and they can be tested quite easily, though I don't have the wiring info to see if they are normally closed or open.

I would expect the fan to come on if the engine temperature got up to about 95 to 100C, which it should do if left idling when stationary.

I saw a bit more about the relay location in: http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8250-Ford-Ka-overheating-problems-fan-not-coming-on

The relay will probably be on eBay.

3 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

A one way trip to the local scrap metal merchant wink.pnglaugh.png

Hahahahaha :D No no no... I like the car. I just drove my boss's Audi S8 V10 yesterday and I was terrified and very happy to sit back in my StreetKa. Ok, it is not true... I love the S8, but at the moment it is just a dream. 

The engine fun is coming on , when the engine start to heat up. I will get the A/C sorted before spring time. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SzabiKa said:

The engine fun is coming on ,

Well, as long as it stays being fun biggrin.png, that is fine. But when the fun stops, then ...... You know where to go!:rip:

A/C systems are a pain. It might be worth getting some gas in it now. There are two reasons for low pressure:

1) Normal leakage with age. All car systems will leak a bit, mainly due to the rotating seals in the compressor, but there are quite a few other rubber sealed joints that gas can slowly diffuse through. If it loses say 50% of its gas in a couple of years, that would be normal. In that case, keep it re-filled as necessary, and keep using it, at least once a week, summer & winter. There is oil in the refrigerant, and it needs use to avoid major leakage & failure.

2) There is a significant leak. Often in the condenser due to stone damage or corrosion. In this case there are two options: Ignore it & don't use it, or repair and refill it. The latter is rather expensive.

You might be lucky, and it is reason 1, so you can get the system working. But the sooner you try this the better. If it is reason 2, then give up on the A/C and just open the roof!

Heater Control Valve probably needs replacing. This will be the cause of your not getting cold air and is a common issue. Check the expansion tank doesn't have a split in it and replace the cap. Again these are common problems. Also the thermostat housing warps after so many years and causes a leak and like the other items a loss of pressure in the system.

As far as the aircon goes I bought a top up bottle with PAG oil and a leak fix included in the mix and this fixed our old Sport KA and my daughters Luxury version. Good luck with it.

Heater control valve got totally broken yesterday. While we were driving home, big bang from the front and steam everywhere. I pulled over and all my coolant gone. One of the joint of the valve broken down. I called AA. The guy fixed it to get us home. He bypassed the heating system. This trouble wasn't enough, while we were waiting for AA , a drunk old bloke drove back of the car.

We were sitting in the car , waiting for AA (parked down on a quite side road, hazard light on). Big smash from the back and car got pushed half a meter with hand break on it. 

I quickly got out and realised an old guy sitting in a Range Rover, looking front of him, like he is out. I started to shout. He nearly fallen out when he tried to get out from the car and asking what is the problem. I told him, the problem, you hit our car. He was just looking, and quickly gave me his business card. I asked for the insurance details. He started to arguing, he didn't hit anything. I told him, I call the police now, because he is dead drunk. While I was calling 999, he ran off. Reported... I have eye witness, reg number and his home address on his business card. I still need a trip for the police station. Car need new left side plastic wheel arch and the rear bumper..and god knows what else under the broken parts. 

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:14 PM, SzabiKa said:

It has 4 new tires, and I just changed oil, filters and plugs...

No it doesn't.

It has 4 new "tYres" - why is everyone insistent on using the incorrect US spelling for circular rubber items?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club