Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This should have cleaned before fitting a new clutch ect

Michael9

The bell housing, this was the guy I've used for the 6-7yrs when he was fitting the new def/clutch i said about the old clutch dust/dirt ect inside the housing and was going to clean it, he said it didn't matter and put it back together. Now maybe it's me but if i take a housing, casing or cover of some kind off to replace, clean ect what's behind it i'll clean the inside of it before putting it on.

My thinking now is that the old clutch dust/dirt is ruining the new clutch and dmf which will also go in and bugger the new starter too...am i right as the clutch housing should have cleaned before refitting..

When the gearbox is removed to replace the clutch and DMF assembly it is good practice to clean the bellhousing. Cleaning the bellhousing will only take 10 minutes maximum when the gearbox is removed. Personally I would be glad to pay for the extra 10 minutes labour to clean the bellhousing.

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

When the gearbox is removed to replace the clutch and DMF assembly it is good practice to clean the bellhousing. Cleaning the bellhousing will only take 10 minutes maximum when the gearbox is removed. Personally I would be glad to pay for the extra 10 minutes labour to clean the bellhousing.

I said to him but he said "it's ok it's only a housing" I wasn't happy but didn't push it, I know now I should have.

39 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Told you before, time to find another mechanic lol. 

I honestly think I'll go back to the guy I first used, I didn't get a chance to go today but will go Monday

I've a feeling because I take old cars I think he feels it doesn't deserve proper care and attention, as I've said before, he's a good mechanic but not so much on my stuff..

3 hours ago, Michael9 said:

I said to him but he said "it's ok it's only a housing" I wasn't happy but didn't push it, I know now I should have.

I honestly think I'll go back to the guy I first used, I didn't get a chance to go today but will go Monday

I've a feeling because I take old cars I think he feels it doesn't deserve proper care and attention, as I've said before, he's a good mechanic but not so much on my stuff..

To earn the reputation as a good mechanic you need to be good with everything and everyone, not just what he fancies doing or feels like. 

Exactly...as you and me both say, time to back to my first

He probably wanted it done as quickly as possible if the customer is going to watch and moan constantly. :tongue: 

Tbf, I don't tend to clean the bellhousing unless it's really dirty...won't take long to get dusty again.  Given plenty of time it won't hurt to clean it but I wouldn't class it as necessary.

:laugh: 

I was helping quite a bit...it was filthy, he'd probably say the same ie it'll get dirty just as quick even if it's cleaned.

There's been a few things in the last year I'm not happy with, there's a lot I can do but a lot I can't.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club