Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Management Light Flashing and car juddering day 1 of ownership

aliv1999

Hello, I took ownership of a 1 litre 63 plate focus titanium yesterday at 5pm. Took it out for a drive this morning and the engine warning light flashed on briefly then went off but the car also started juddering- whenever it had to work (pulling uphill or when accelerating etc). Left it for a while then on restart the light came on almost straight away  (flashing not steady on) and the juddering got worse and more frequent. Took it back to the dealer by 2pm today and they will look at it this week. I know noone knows exactly what the problem is without checking the car but wondering if anyone knows the likely worst and best cases for this kind of problem? The car is under warranty which is great but my confidence has taken a knock and Im worried some kind of temporary fix could be done which will need sorting in the future at cost to me (know theres never any guarantee but ive had it less than 24 hours and it was meant to have sailed through the mot so feeling a bit dubious about things!) Would just like to have a bit of knowledge so I can decide whether to walk away from the car and request a refund or whether after Ford do whatever theyre going to do whether I am best to stick with it! It has done 37000 miles. Any advice or comment gratefully received, many thanks :-)

Personally if I had problems immediately after getting the car I would hand it back and walk away. I couldn't trust it even if the dealer found and fixed the problem.

• Like 1

depends on the dealer if it was a Evans halshaw they do it all the time truth is the car should be checked which it clearly wasn't and depends what the issue was best asking the dealer what the issue is first

• Like 1

If it's something small i would keep it but it something big ask for exchange or refund. They should be looking at it strait away as u have just bought it. 

• Like 1

Should that say 63 plate lol.

sounds like it's misfiring, worth a look around the plugs and coils, especially if they have washed the engine bay or anything like that. If this is the problem then worst case they'll need replaced if faulty. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies so far, I will see what Ford say tomorrow when their service team have had a look at it but Im very much in doubt as its such early days (as Zico says, Im not sure if I can trust it completely) there seem to be a vast number of possible reasons the warning light can trigger (thanks stef123 for info on the coils/plugs!) It drove beautifully on the test drive, seems to be since MOT done so a bit gutted! 

ps "Should that say 63 plate lol." yep, it absolutely should- will edit, thanks!!

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

Should that say 63 plate lol.

sounds like it's misfiring, worth a look around the plugs and coils, especially if they have washed the engine bay or anything like that. If this is the problem then worst case they'll need replaced if faulty. 

I think this sounds right, they probably used some kind of engine cleaner, and water washed it, maybe some water got into the alternator or something....

• Like 1

Just to update, I had a call to say it was a spark plug problem which they have fixed. Hoping if it was put right that quickly that it was a minor blip - still got the warranty period at least! Thanks so much again for the comments and suggestions, really appreciate them. Fingers crossed I can now enjoy owning a Focus! 

• Like 2

Good to hear it was nothing important.

I bought a 3 year old Passat in 2010 and it had a strange shudder that happened intermittently. Garage couldn't find anything wrong and it didn't happen on their tests... I could have kicked up a fuss and handed it back but someone on a forum recommended the fuel filter... £6 for a genuine filter and a turkey baster cured the problem!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club