Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mpg dropping

flogger

help ..... mpg has dropped dramatically in the last month or two.....was around 47 now down to mid 30's.... 😭

any clues or advice on what to look/listen for......plz

Fuel filter change, air filter change. Diesel or petrol?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, flogger said:

help ..... mpg has dropped dramatically in the last month or two.....was around 47 now down to mid 30's.... 😭

any clues or advice on what to look/listen for......plz

The fact the weather is colder drops mpg, (sometimes significantly) due to lights/heater/window demisters etc all being on

• Like 1

Ken.K.....so its a diesel, fitted K & N air filter last week

Russ.......true. I do start work at silly o'clock, I mean I do 6hrs driving (truck) before I see daylight but, I haven't noticed any like this

in the previous 5yrs of owning it (her)  :unsure:

Had the MPG dropped badly before the KN filter?  If not, I'd swap that back out again.  Some people claim the oil on them damages (or at least coats) the MAF causing problems.  I've always stuck with foam filters on anything with a MAF so can't say either way.

Is it one with a DPF?  And if so is it stuck trying to regen constantly, fans running on etc?

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Had the MPG dropped badly before the KN filter?  If not, I'd swap that back out again.  Some people claim the oil on them damages (or at least coats) the MAF causing problems.  I've always stuck with foam filters on anything with a MAF so can't say either way.

Is it one with a DPF?  And if so is it stuck trying to regen constantly, fans running on etc?

yes m8 it had, think it was around 38/39 when I swapped them......thought it might have made a difference to mpg going up not further down

yes it has dpf...got a guy coming over to check it out nxt w/e although I might invest in a elm & see if it forscan shows up anything before then.

• Like 1

no problem with brakesm8

gotta laugh........so elm327 arrived this am ( good ole prime) & would you believe it

my laptop doesn't have bluetooth :rolleyes: lmao so now,

waiting for dongle to arrive in the week

3 hours ago, flogger said:

no problem with brakesm8

gotta laugh........so elm327 arrived this am ( good ole prime) & would you believe it

my laptop doesn't have Bluetooth :rolleyes: lmao so now,

waiting for dongle to arrive in the week

Android phone? You can get Forscan Lite for that, or Torque.

16 hours ago, flogger said:

so elm327 arrived this am ( good ole prime) & would you believe it

my laptop doesn't have Bluetooth

Why didn't you buy the USB cable?

Also, you say no problem with brakes but have you checked the wheel hubs after a run to see if they're unusually warm? On our old Mk1.5 the mpg suddenly took a dive and I discovered that a piston was sticking in one of the front calipers. I hadn't noticed any unusual effect on the braking or steering but it was creating enough drag to make a noticeable difference to the mpg.

10 minutes ago, mjt said:

Why didn't you buy the USB cable?

Also, you say no problem with brakes but have you checked the wheel hubs after a run to see if they're unusually warm? On our old Mk1.5 the mpg suddenly took a dive and I discovered that a piston was sticking in one of the front calipers. I hadn't noticed any unusual effect on the braking or steering but it was creating enough drag to make a noticeable difference to the mpg.

ok thx....i'll check it out.....ordered the wifi/bluetooth version thinking bluetooth was on the laptop.....doh

I've got the ST and through the summer I was getting 34/35, currently I'm getting 27! So a big drop off for me personally and I can only put it down to the cold, just had new brakes, use 98 RON Fuel, oil levels etc all fine.  I don't drive very far at all to work so it doesn't do it much good in the first place but I make a point of going on a lengthy drive every other weekend to keep it running clean, maybe I could slow down on those long drives instead of hitting the country roads but I didn't buy an ST to worry about MPG so personally not too bothered :biggrin:

P.S This is the first winter I've seen in this car, but my last car (Suzuki Swift Sport) also dropped off in the winter time too, but not as much.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club