Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers side carpet soaking wet!

helsbels81

At the weekend I discovered that the drivers side footwell, both front and back in my 58 plate Titanium Fiesta, were soaking wet. When standing in the back footwell, I had a puddle surround my foot.

For the last 2 weeks, it had been getting very wet windows inside, the condensation was so bad it was dripping off my windscreen. I didn't think too much of it, as we had a lot of rain and thought maybe it was just damp from my shoes. I then got fed up so bought some interior window de-mist stuff - and it was when I went to put it on my rear windows on Saturday, I realised how wet the carpet was when I stood in it - and that's why it had been steaming up! I took the mats out, they were both dripping wet. It is now starting to smell damp and musty in the car which is most unpleasant.

Passenger side is completely dry, boot is completely dry. All seats also dry, no signs of any leaks from around the drivers door. Windows had been shut tight. I used a Vax hoover today to suck out the water - I got 4 pints of water out of the carpet, just on the drivers side - and it was still coming out but lunchbreak was over! Has anyone else had this problem?

I have been told by a friend it could be a damaged windscreen seal - but I don't know, as I admit, I'm a female and have not got a clue! How do you check to see if its water coming in from the windscreen? If it is, how can it be fixed and more importantly, how much is it likely to cost?!

Any help or ideas would be extremely helpful!

Thanks in advance!!! : )

hmmm... There have been a few people on here with leaking boots but I dont think anybody has had a leaking footwell. You're probably covered so take it down your dealership to get it sorted. Also make sure they fit a brand new carpet otherwise the smell will never go away

I have done a water test with a hose pipe and had someone sitting inside looking for any signs of water leaking in anywhere on the car and nothing. Got someone to also check the drainage wasn't blocked and nothing.

Contacted my Ford dealership where I purchased it from - to be told, as it is over 12 months old (14 months in about a weeks time) that it may not be covered under the Manufacturer's Warranty and if they look and find nothing, I will have to pay £50 plus VAT for the privilege! It is booked in for next week so I am crossing my fingers that they find a fault that will be covered.

I don't understand what a 3 year warranty is if nothing else is covered after the first year!

hmmm... There have been a few people on here with leaking boots but I dont think anybody has had a leaking footwell. You're probably covered so take it down your dealership to get it sorted. Also make sure they fit a brand new carpet otherwise the smell will never go away

I have done a water test with a hose pipe and had someone sitting inside looking for any signs of water leaking in anywhere on the car and nothing. Got someone to also check the drainage wasn't blocked and nothing.

Contacted my Ford dealership where I purchased it from - to be told, as it is over 12 months old (14 months in about a weeks time) that it may not be covered under the Manufacturer's Warranty and if they look and find nothing, I will have to pay £50 plus VAT for the privilege! It is booked in for next week so I am crossing my fingers that they find a fault that will be covered.

I don't understand what a 3 year warranty is if nothing else is covered after the first year!

Total stab in the dark but is it possibly coming from the hose that goes to the boot lid from the washer reservoir?

Without sounding too dumb, I don't know! How would I check that?

I have used my front and rear windscreen washers and water came out of them, so I guessed they were still full! I can't imagine 4 pints worth of water coming in from there though, surely?!

Total stab in the dark but is it possibly coming from the hose that goes to the boot lid from the washer reservoir?

Without sounding too dumb, I don't know! How would I check that?

I have used my front and rear windscreen washers and water came out of them, so I guessed they were still full! I can't imagine 4 pints worth of water coming in from there though, surely?!

Yeah you're probably right! I doubt that that much water could get in from a door seal, maybe its coming through the bulk head, or the boot... Maybe best if you dry it out completely and then check to see which part of the carpet is getting wet first... Check to see if you can perhaps pull up a bit of the carpet as there might be an obvious cause underneath

good luck with this :)

Also I understand your point about the warranty, however I would imagine that this sort of thing would be covered for three years, but I dont know for sure. Look in your paperwork and in the info on the Ford site to see if it is likely to be covered. Could also be worth calling Fords customer support line and getting a case number, people that have done this seem to get quite a good response...

Trim and water leaks are only covered first year with the mechanical components covered for the three I think.

Apparently there was a little problem when the cars first came out with water ingress getting in through the tailgate sealer where the hinges join onto the bodywork. Have someone take a look there, no guarantees but it's worth looking at.

My car was one of the first that came out - so maybe mine is one of the ones with the problem!

The assisant manager at my dealer told me that water ingress is not covered after the first 12 months but they have spoken to Ford and have already set up a case number - so fingers crossed!!

It can't be a short term thing to be able to get 4 pints of water out of the carpet. I am suspecting it has been over a period of time, and it has now got to the point where it was so full of water, the only way out was up through the carpets and mats on the drivers side!

The inside of my windscreen and rear window were running with condensation again this morning. Having felt the carpet behind the drivers seat, it still feels dry to touch, but in the drivers footwell, there is a little slit in the carpet (not sure if any of you have come across it when no mats in the way). I lifted up this flap of carpet and it feels quite soggy underneath and I can see wetness on the actual bodywork of the car.

When it goes in on Wednesday, hopefully it will still feel wet. I don't plan on drying it out too much so they can actually see it is wet! I will inform of any progress when my car goes in and hope no-one else has this problem as soggy carpets and musty old water smells are not pleasant in what is a gorgeous car! : )

Trim and water leaks are only covered first year with the mechanical components covered for the three I think.

Apparently there was a little problem when the cars first came out with water ingress getting in through the tailgate sealer where the hinges join onto the bodywork. Have someone take a look there, no guarantees but it's worth looking at.

Best advice you'll ever hear, and you heard it from me first: Same thing happened to me on a '08 reg Ka. Forget your dealer. Phone Ford head office (customer relations) and file an official case. Get a case number out of them. There is NO reason to pay for ANYTHING. Ford WILL do it as a goodwill gesture!! They paid for hundreds of pounds of labour work on my car, since they had to strip out the entire interior to fix the problem on my car. Tell your dealer you have a case number, and they should be more professional about it.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you now have a case number. You would of saved yourself a lot of hassle if you'd done this yourself. Ford dealers never tell you about customer relations and how you can get it done as a goodwill gesture. They would rather argue about it, hope you are stupid, and try and make lots of money out of you.

theres a post just like this being replied to only a short while ago..

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index...ic=8613&hl=

...last reply

"I have a Mk7 Fiesta, 59 plate less than 3 months old which has just gone into the garage it was leaking into the drivers footwell as well as the passanger side of the boot, with the recent weather there was over an inch of water in the spare wheel compartment. before I took it in found that the water was coming down from above the rear seatbelt mechanism in the boot and throught the trim next to the dash at the front. The garage did tests and found that the water was coming in from under the weather stip in rain gullys on the roof, through small holes in the sealant. hope this helps"

Thanks so much for all the help and info guys!!

It's kind of good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem! All though doesn't cure it!

My dealership set up a case number with Ford already - before even seeing my car, so maybe they know it's a common problem and are actually willing to try and help for a change!! (Unlike when they told me to carry on driving my car with the speedometer not working after 24 hours of having collected it from new! I was to carry on driving it for 3 weeks until I could have a courtesy car - I argued and left it there that day and went away with my salesman car but they kept it for 3 weeks as they couldn't get the part, apparently!)

The insulation layer that I can feel from the little flap in the drivers footwell is absolutely soaking still, even though the carpet feels dry from hoovering up the water. And water is visible on the bodywork - so if they try telling me it's not leaking, then I'd like to know what it is!

If they agree to pay - I will be asking for a new carpet, as if this one has been sat with 4 pints of water in it for however long, it's not going to be too clever! And I will want the bodywork checking properly as who knows what damage the water could have done if it's been doing for just over a year!

theres a post just like this being replied to only a short while ago..

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index...ic=8613&hl=

...last reply

"I have a Mk7 Fiesta, 59 plate less than 3 months old which has just gone into the garage it was leaking into the drivers footwell as well as the passanger side of the boot, with the recent weather there was over an inch of water in the spare wheel compartment. before I took it in found that the water was coming down from above the rear seatbelt mechanism in the boot and throught the trim next to the dash at the front. The garage did tests and found that the water was coming in from under the weather stip in rain gullys on the roof, through small holes in the sealant. hope this helps"

Forgot to mention, you should definitely get new underlay, since I did. Carpets are covered under all 3 years of warranty, as far as I know.

Forgot to mention, you should definitely get new underlay, since I did. Carpets are covered under all 3 years of warranty, as far as I know.

Absolutely!!

As they say, where there's water there's life! - If they leave the old carpets in they will also leave behind all of the waterborne badness :o

The underlay I can get to feels soaked - so will definitely need replacing!!! Thanks for the info!!

Right... my car has been to my dealership. Ford have agreed to pay 100% towards the repair as they did find a problem!

I was told that a sealant that should be on the inside and outside of the A-frame (not sure what this is!) and one of them is missing on my car which has been missing since manufacturing, and has been leaking water in for the past 14 months that I have had it!

On asking if they can replace the carpet and underlay - I have been told that Ford told them they must take the carpet out first and fully dry it and re-asses after that.

So, parts are on back-order, not going to be done until after Christmas. But, at least they will repair it for free, and I just have to see what happens with the soggy underlay and carpet!

Sorry Im new here so dont know if this comes up.

I had the exact same problem. I have a black 58 titanium fiesta and was noticing a puddle in the front and back only on the drivers side.

I took it into the garage after I booked it in. After numerous water tests they looked on the ford bulletins and realised that the problem was the a pillar was the cause. After the replacement of the part they did a couple more of the water tests and found there were no more problems with the wetness.

I picked my car up literally an hour ago so cant confirm if the problem is solved for sure. But it is almost bone dry now (it just needs the remnants of the dampness drying up)

The good news that all costs were covered afterall that it was a problem with manafacturing.

If anyone else is experiencing this problem i really reccomend booking it in as soon as possible to get fixed.

Thankyou for starting this topic and glad your fiesta is sorted too

That's interesting to hear Jon. Sounds like the same as my problem! The lady who phoned me said it was to do with an 'A' something, I thought she said frame, but could have been pillar!

How strange that your's is the same reg as mine, and a titanium and we have had matching problems! Glad yours is sorted now though. I am awaiting the call to say the parts are in then my hot magenta beauty can be sorted out and dried out and be as good as new!

I also agree with you, anyone who finds any sign of water or dampness anywhere in the drivers side footwells, get it sorted asap - as it doesn't do the car any good and the musty old water smell is not nice!

:rolleyes:

I picked my car up literally an hour ago so cant confirm if the problem is solved for sure. But it is almost bone dry now (it just needs the remnants of the dampness drying up)

I'm sure they fixed it properly, but they should of dried everything out. When the leak on my Ka was fixed, they removed carpet + underlay, and dried out the carpet completely, and replaced the underlay. When I got the car back, everything was bone dry, no remnants of dampness. And mine wasn't just 'wet' before, it was sodden - pushing on the carpet resulted in lots of water coming up.

• 11 years later...

I recently noticed I also have soaking wet carpets driver side and rear what do I do its on 2009 plate

• 3 weeks later...

I've just noticed the same soaking wet in boot wear spare wheel is and driver side front and back been to garage to see if they could look but came back saying they think a window was open so tomorrow I think I will take it to dealership see if that can sort out I've got fiesta 62 plate

Just had this issue myself . Drivers side front and back carpets wet . Top corner of screen was leaking , where the roof rail meets the screen. Lifted rail , cleaned and dried then siliconed . All done 👍

• 3 years later...

I have a 2011 ford cmax and my footwear is soaked but it's like an oily water I thought it was coolant at first as my coolant keeps draining quick but can't seem to find a link I bought the car last year so second hand am I still able to take it to ford for them to look at or will it cost mega money and if so should I just take it to a garage and pay mega money there?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club