Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil & Filter / socket size

Albert27

Hi guys,

does anybody know the size socket i would need for the oil sump drain plug?  Also the oil filter has a bolt or nut at the top, what socket is best for that?

Car is 2008 mk2.5 1.6tdci.

Thanks

think it`s 17 or 19mm for the sump plug and 27mm for the oil filter eBay item number 361724368138

• Like 2

don't know what the oil filter access is like on the focus 1.6tdci, on my fiesta mk6  1.6tdci it was tricky getting to the oil filter top because of the angle of it. extensions were either too short or too long and once you put the rachet lever on there i also found there was little room to move that , so definitely check you get at it well with the tools you have before you drain the oil out.   But on the focus you may have more room than on a fiesta 

also the oil filter element has a small outlet(or inlet?) at the bottom of it that has to locate with the hole in the bottom of the oil filter housing. you have to be careful to get this in the right place. it can be tricky as you can't actually see the bottom of the filter element as you put it in the housing

3 minutes ago, isetta said:

don't know what the oil filter access is like on the focus 1.6tdci, on my fiesta mk6  1.6tdci it was tricky getting to the oil filter top because of the angle of it. extensions were either too short or too long and once you put the rachet lever on there i also found there was little room to move that , so definitely check you get at it well with the tools you have before you drain the oil out.   But on the focus you may have more room than on a fiesta 

Yes it is tricky.  Last time i attempted it i got in a right mess but there was a guy working nearby who knew about cars and came over with his tools and helped me out!  That was my first oil & filter change.... I'm hoping my second goes a bit smoother.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Yes it is tricky.  Last time i attempted it i got in a right mess but there was a guy working nearby who knew about cars and came over with his tools and helped me out!  That was my first oil & filter change.... I'm hoping my second goes a bit smoother.

Thanks for the info guys.

Best advice I can give you is to purchase a Haynes manual for the mk2 diesel focus, it's a blue book and refers to the mk2.5 inside aswell as mk2 

It shows you how to do the oil change aswell as dismantling the entire vehicle, you need to remove air box and top intercooler pipe to gain access to remove the oil filter👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club