Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PETROL

Jonny87

PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU HAVE A Mk.7 WITH A 1.6 Ti-VCT PETROL ENGINE >>> THANK YOU!  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What type of petrol do you put in your Mk.7 1.6 Ti-VCT - MOST OF THE TIME?

• Supermarket Standard Unleaded
    • Supermarket Premium Unleaded
    • Branded Standard Unleaded
    • Branded Premium Unleaded
  2. 2. This question for supermarket / branded STANDARD petrol voters ONLY - Do you occasionally drop a tank of premium in your motor now and again?

• Yes
    • No

She's a little ill due to (I'm hoping anyway) a bad batch of Tesco fuel!

-------------------- nicked from readers rides post

I know someone who had a BP garage and was told that BP supply Sainsbury's with fuel. That's where I fill mine with bog standard unleaded.

a few have said that...but I just can't believe it...when I realised they had ultimate I tried it in the bike...had to empty the tank...and refill with good fuel...I couldn't ride it!!

And me folks swear they get more miles from Shell than Sainsbugs...they are opposite in me town!! and Shell normally cheaper!!

a few have said that...but I just can't believe it...when I realised they had ultimate I tried it in the bike...had to empty the tank...and refill with good fuel...I couldn't ride it!!

And me folks swear they get more miles from Shell than Sainsbugs...they are opposite in me town!! and shell normally cheaper!!

Just because supermarkets are supplied by the big brands such as BP and Shell, doesn't mean that it's the same fuel. Many make this mistake.

Just because supermarkets are supplied by the big brands such as BP and Shell, doesn't mean that it's the same fuel. Many make this mistake.

good point....

like Tesco and Sainsbugs get fruit and veg from same source....but Sainsbugs get first dibs on the good stuff!!

Cheers for voting in the poll guys, much appreciated. Some interesting results, but nothing massively different to what I expected. I was thinking that more of you would have avoided the supermarket petrol esp. with a brand new car with the Ti-VCT in.

As some of you have pointed out, the branded garages do seem to be matching or even beating supermarket prices. More and more as time goes by

Can someone tell me what the difference is about the essence/diesel you buy? I mean, here, it's all branded - Shell, BP, Total etc. The supermarket means "no-name oil" thus, cheaper and with less fuel quality? :unsure:

Can someone tell me what the difference is about the essence/diesel you buy? I mean, here, it's all branded - Shell, BP, Total etc. The supermarket means "no-name oil" thus, cheaper and with less fuel quality? :unsure:

Depends on which company you buy from as to the quality you get. Here in the UK some supermarkets buy their fuels from the major oil refineries, so it is the same. Although i believe that Shell only distribute their fuels through their own network of franchised distributors and not via supermarkets.

Quality will depend on refining techniques, lubricants and additives used. Generally speaking, a big oil company's fuel will be better than a cheap branded product :)

I'm a big fan of Shell V-Power petrol, and in some areas you can now get V-Power diesel too.

I can't advise on the technical differences, for that i recommend you research on other websites, maybe try wikipedia for starters :)

but then some said Sainsbugs are supplied by BP...i really couldn't agree with that and would prove it again for you like I did once...used Sainsbugs ultimate...bike was a mare to ride...crap...had to drain tank...refilled with BP ultimate...no problem...always use BP/Shell ultimate for the bike and Shell normal for the diesel car!

• 4 weeks later...

petrol (and diesel) have to meet a british standard spec at the pumps. As a result oil companies will make to that spec with very little giveaway. In reality the main difference is the 'performance' additive that each company adds (or in some case doesn't add). Every company makes their own claims but you will find the majority use similiar additives but put it in at different rates somewhere between 250 and 450ppm. Most of this is to keep the engine clean (ie detergent agent of some kind) Throw into this the reproduceability of the test method allowing for .59R and there is virtually nothing in it. As for running on Super Unleaded or 'normal unleaded it depends on how efficient your engine is as switching between the 2 grades some ECU's compensate for it quicker than others. Most oil companies supply each other and only the additive might be different.

• 11 months later...

Not got mine yet, but my diesel 98% tesco, 2% (when I remember) Shell.

It must vary where supermarkets get their fuel from though.

I get the petrolprices.com email, and they send you the nearest 5 cheapest on your chosen fuel, this was mine 2 days ago for unleaded;

120.9p Asda York

Monks Cross, Huntington, York, YO32 9LB

Asda, 3.86 miles away, last updated on 27 December

121.9p Morrisons York

Foss Island Road, York, YO31 7UL

Morrisons, 2.44 miles away, last updated on 28 December

121.9p Tesco York Tadcaster Road Extra

Tadcaster Road, Askhma Bar, York, YO24 1LW

Tesco, 3.27 miles away, last updated on 28 December

121.9p Shell York

Hull Road, York, YO10 3JG

Shell, 3.32 miles away, last updated on 25 December

121.9p Sainsburys Monks Cross

Monks Cross, Huntington, York, YO32 9LB

Sainsburys, 3.7 miles away, last updated on 28 December

We have 2 tescos, the other is my nearest at 1.2 mile, but that is number 6 at 122.9. 2 tesco, both different price!

No petrol worth a difference for a 1.6 engine.

No milage difference either

All additivies about the supoiority of the more costly fuels are based on their own research, none of it is independantly Varified and they are now being scrutinised by the EU on their clams of better milage. cleaning yoru engine etc..the rest is just marketing.

Rmemeber this, Bp, Texaco etc, do not own their own refineriys, they rent them out to other mostly american companies that own them.

Bit of an old thread this isn't it?

As the Tories seem to have forgotten about that fuel duty stabilizer they spoke of prior to the election and we've just had another rise in duty, followed by a VAT rise on Tues followed by another rise in duty in a few months time (can you see where this is going?)

It'd be interesting if the poll was started again. Do people still fill up with premium fuel?

As luck has it, Shell garages around here are very competitive if not the cheapest therefore I fill up with the normal stuff. But if the local Asda is cheaper then that's what goes in my tank. Every penny counts.

For some weird reason Tesco's is always more expensive round these parts.

York is very small, so everyone (except BP) are with in 3p!

But it can be done!

I filled up in York on Friday with Shell, 29ltrs to be exact, filling it to the top. I then had to drive to London Colney, with iPhone maps tells me its 195.1, so I take its's route of A1, M18, M1...ecept a1 is closed between M62 and M18, so A1, M62 M1 was my route.

This morning on coming back, I was to go via M18, so 195.1, and car said 181.4. So I sets off, and stopped for a rain check at Northampton services, and maps said 145.4, car said 154.8, so I carried on, and hit a brief high of 49.1, but mostly 49.0, and dropped in to the garage to fill up with 30+ left, a total of 410.4 miles, an actual mpg of 52.61.

I'm lucky normally to clear 300 miles!

lol, cant see many sticking with the primium stuff as the prices go up, theirs been a raise now, then VAT will put it up with another duty hike in April time I think.

lol, cant see many sticking with the primium stuff as the prices go up, theirs been a raise now, then VAT will put it up with another duty hike in April time I think.

Nothing but V-Power will ever go in the M3, not sure what the wife sticks in the Fiesta.

As much as I don't like the increases in duties or VAT, I doubt spending an extra £1.75 when I'm putting £70 in the tank will put me on the breadline. If I was that worried about the cost I'd have one pint a fortnight less before I put crap supermarket fuel in my car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club