Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Light.

Spitfire1979

Hi Guys, sorry if this has been posted before. I'm having problems with my boot light, as in it's intermittent. i have tried changing the bulb....nothing. Tried converting to LED strip light but still nothing. Any help you guys could give would be great. Many Thanks.

Check inside the rubber gaiter (tube) like thing that goes from the tail gate to the car to see if any wires hare frayed.

What model/year is it? On models where the switch is part of the tailgate lock mechanism it might be a problem with the wiring in the rubber boot between tailgate and body, as Matt said above, but I'd have thought that would also have exhibited other issues, such as problems with locking the car.

Things were much simpler in the past, with just a basic press switch in the body for things like interior and boot lights. There's a lot of totally unnecessary complexity in modern cars IMHO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjt said:

What model/year is it? On models where the switch is part of the tailgate lock mechanism it might be a problem with the wiring in the rubber boot between tailgate and body, as Matt said above, but I'd have thought that would also have exhibited other issues, such as problems with locking the car.

Things were much simpler in the past, with just a basic press switch in the body for things like interior and boot lights. There's a lot of totally unnecessary complexity in modern cars IMHO.

Mikes right I should've said have you anymore issues with your tailgate? such as wiper, numberplate light etc 

I've had no problems with the wiper, tailgate light or the lock.

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the boot light is controlled by a microswitch inside the lock. The boot light intermittently not working is often caused by dried out grease inside the lock. During time the grease inside the lock dries out and causes the microswitch to stick. This problem can easily be solved by disassembling and cleaning of the lock. Afterwards the lock must be regreased using a thin type of grease.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the boot light is controlled by a microswitch inside the lock. The boot light intermittently not working is often caused by dried out grease inside the lock. During time the grease inside the lock dries out and causes the microswitch to stick. This problem can easily be solved by disassembling and cleaning of the lock. Afterwards the lock must be regreased using a thin type of grease.

Good thing to know 

Things were much simpler in the past... There's a lot of totally unnecessary complexity in modern cars IMHO

Damn right! Oh for the days when a fuel problem in a Morris Traveller could be solved temporarily by a smart tap on the obvious and easily accessible fuel pump. And replacing it with a pump from a Rover fixed the problem permanently :biggrin:

Ah yes, the old 'tick-tick' electric lift-pumps. The Mini's was underneath the boot floor and you had to lie on the ground and kick it :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/22/2017 at 7:59 PM, JW1982 said:

Woo hoo a 4 year old post , my job for today, bootlight takes ages or just cant be a**ed sometimes ..... cheers

Just give it a stupidly big long blast of WD40 and by tomorrow it will be as good as new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Just give it a stupidly big long blast of WD40 and by tomorrow it will be as good as new.

Cheers for the speedy reply, i do have a big can of clutch and brake cleaner gathering dust that i'll never uses again [ it was for my ICV on my Mk1 ] , could i give it a quick blast prior to WD40

UPDATE ----- blasted with brake clucth cleaner dripping, wd40'd it seems better but boot latch seems a bit gritty grindy when operating with a screwdriver, will keep having a blast, but more likely removal strip and clean would be the best course if no better. I'm blaming that stupid white grease people smear into locks and hinges HAHA

Cheers

9 hours ago, JImpster said:

blasted with brake clucth cleaner dripping

Opps!!!  to late to warn you that brake/clutch cleaner often attacks the plastic of the microswitch in the boot lock. Just make sure to try and flush out the cleaner with WD40 and you might be lucky.

• Like 1

Too late LOL hopefully not done too much damage and TBF if it needed replacing its no big deal, as not massively expensive just the time to strip back to access.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club