Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maps/Sat Nav issue after Sync 4 OTA Update

Al1966

Hi, I've had issues with maps randomly freezing since OTA update to Ford Power-up 4.2.2 last week. No pattern or error message, map just freezes and tapping on map display does nothing. If you switch screen to audio or other function then return to the home screen the map will re-load and work for a bit then freeze again, haven't tried factory reset of sync yet but may give it a go.

Car is booked in to dealer next week to investigate, curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, Al1966 said:

Hi, I've had issues with maps randomly freezing since OTA update to Ford Power-up 4.2.2 last week. No pattern or error message, map just freezes and tapping on map display does nothing. If you switch screen to audio or other function then return to the home screen the map will re-load and work for a bit then freeze again, haven't tried factory reset of sync yet but may give it a go.

Car is booked in to dealer next week to investigate, curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

Hi, 

I've been having the same issue for about 10 days now. I'm in the UK. I have to turn off the engine and restart for maps to work again. 

I've been looking to do a reset but not sure whether to or how to. I might phone my dealer for suggestions. The Focus is only 9 months old. 🤔

ummm, not great for either of you - wouldn't have replied except I wonder if the rest of the car is up to date on all its software....

one thought - as of Nov 2021 Ford had ONLY just patched the disaster of DAB+ channel logos and or too many channels confusing the system's brain (allegedly affecting only UK vehicles - with too many stations with our dual broadcast of both old DAB and DAB+ or BBC channel logos throwing a curved ball)

And why would that be a possible connection? - on certain VAG cars ONLY in the UK v10 Nav mapping causes a continuous boot loop for the head unit that VAG will not address, with v11 and v12 having the exact same issues, but ONLY ever impacting UK cars.....     It belatedly occurred to me with Merc DAB+ tuners in a constant boot loop (when un-patched) - is this what is hitting the UK VAG cars.... and maybe its also an issue causing hiccups in Fords ?

The reason no one cares, is its not consistent - as DAB is such a joke, whereabouts you are in the country and when it manages to find too many channels that the software forgets how to work, is a variable feast - with some regions still unaware of the phenomena

err... AI1966 do u have the latest ?  in this link it says until you get the last u missed you can't get a later one....   and 4.2.4 is a new one - edit: wow seems so well written they may have rolled back 2023 cars to 4.2.1

https://fpcommunity.ford.com/t5/Chat/Ford-Power-Up-4-and-Ford-Power-Up-5-Released-Updated-December-5/td-p/1804/page/30

22.5 MY Focus with SYNC 4

Ford Power-Up 4.2.1 – Background updates

Ford Power-Up 4.2.2 - Minor updates to OTA settings and Apple Airplay in SYNC

Ford Power-Up 4.2.4 – Background updates *NEW

Hi, I tried a factory reset but made no difference. Freezes haven't been as bad over the last few days. I've been keeping an eye on the fpcommunity page and have posted there about the issue too.

I can't get 4.2.4 yet, I think the deployment of updates is a bit of a lottery in terms of when you actually get it pushed out, hopefully I'll get it soon and it will resolve the issue.

• Like 1

Same applies to me, occational map freezes since over the air update about 10 days ago. This morning notification about another system update, but froze again. About once per hour of driving.

Use Apple carplay for audio and Ford Synch map in a tiny window, mostly without Nav guidance.

Noticed the problem since adaptive cruise control / speed limit assist suddenly stopped working (cruise control can not be activated, but no error message - adaptive speed limit shows wrong speed limits). It took me a good while until I noticed that the root cause for this ist the map freeze.

Technical reason: Camera speed limit recognition has its limits, so it is backed up by map data provided by Navigation. But only, if map is not frozen 😞

In case of any solution, please post...

apple - have no idea how to write software - I call it randomware

basically they disagree with any standards the industry uses, and it manages to have different behaviour from one day to the next

are u aware there was an iOS update for many phones this week - (I expect they'll be another in a few days) BT is usual broken every single release all the way back many years to at least iOS 4

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Botus said:

apple - have no idea how to write software - I call it randomware

basically they disagree with any standards the industry uses, and it manages to have different behaviour from one day to the next

are u aware there was an iOS update for many phones this week - (I expect they'll be another in a few days) BT is usual broken every single release all the way back many years to at least iOS 4

What’s that got to do with the thread?

22 hours ago, alexp999 said:

What’s that got to do with the thread?

coz - if you bother to read the post I was replying to - he was using carplay - AKA apple rubbish

38 minutes ago, Botus said:

coz - if you bother to read the post I was replying to - he was using carplay - AKA apple rubbish

Maybe you should re read what you replied to. CarPlay isn’t the fault Sync is. 

Updated to 4.2.4 but no difference, maps still freezing 🤬

On 12/16/2023 at 4:14 PM, alexp999 said:

Maybe you should re read what you replied to. CarPlay isn’t the fault Sync is. 

BMW and Merc often have fun with Apple iOS updates - Don't see why another 'german brand' can't have similar fun - the car manu pretend to write software to a standard, and then Apple invent this week's interpretation of whatever they thought might be novel or entertaining

the days of anyone knowing what they are doing is long passed - these days, software is fixed by you throwing the noughts and ones in a cement mixer - throw in some crosses, and switch on using a cold wash with a high speed spin, and hope the bugs come out - then just release without trying it out - after all they'll be trying it with a hot wash cycle too - whilst expecting a tuner update to address why the engine emissions on the diesels don't hit the homologated tyre pressures, for petrol cars running 22" wheels

Since the last update, I’ve had the same issue with the nav’ but also having a problem with phone calls - simultaneously the nav’ freezes & there’s a crackling sound, I can’t hear a caller but the caller can hear me swearing.

Swapping screens solves the nav’ freeze first time, then I have to do a soft-reset using the steering buttons. It’s a temporary solution because approx. 15 minutes later it happens again.

After a screen swap, there was a message telling me to go to the dealer …although I’m not sure if an “oil change mechanic” knows about software issues. Modern cars are better …as long as they don’t have an issue.

I'm unaware that other features are affected.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, Al1966 said:

Thought it was just my car having a meltdown. Mine usually freezes within first minute of driving, if I load up another screen and then go back to maps it reloads and then usually works for the rest of the journey. Rinse and repeat next time in the car.

Did your dealer come up with any solution for this or is it a case of having to wait for Ford to bother putting out a fix for it at some point.

Hi, after discovering it was a known issue with that version of software I cancelled the dealer visit. There won't be anything they can do if it's a software issue. Will just have to wait for an update that sorts it.

I spotted another iOS update today - fixes for last week's iOS update - got to love the idiots in IT today

28 minutes ago, Botus said:

I spotted another iOS update today - fixes for last week's iOS update - got to love the idiots in IT today

You really have no idea do you. That’s enough about unrelated Apple trolling. This thread is about updates to Sync 4. 

• Like 1

rather than having a pop at me - would it not be helpful if the people here with issues inform us if :

1) they have a phone linked via BT ?
2) if they get the issues with an Android device connected ?
3) if using Apple, have either of the two iOS updates in the last week impacted the issues experienced on the car ?

Having said other applications aren’t affected, it’s apparent they are. I did a 3hr journey on Monday & had to reset sync 5 times off the steering.  I’m tempted to cancel the diagnosis booking at the dealer rather than face disappointment, waste time & then have to report back “still freezing”.

I am having the exact same problem since the update. Hopefully they fix it with an update soon.

My map screen froze on almost a daily basis. My Ford service told me it’s because the car wants to run an update and stuff usually gets weird during those. Just let it be and the update should succeed. I checked for any new updates again today and it told me an update has now been installed (Power-Up 4.2.2). So far no new freezes.

The Sync unit got updated on Dec 1st (23159_PRODUCT rev. 915). That version didn’t change in today’s update.

Car’s been for dealer diagnosis …an accessory module has been ordered

• 2 weeks later...
I am wondering, if the issue meanwhile was fixed by a Ford software update? Was not driving much recently, so probably might have not yet received an update...

Any news?

Checked today for updates, no updates available. Was updated by OTA update to Ford Power-up 4.2.4.

Had another map freeze today.

Does anybody know if Ford is aware? Was this ever brought to customer service?

Thanks!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club