Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof Bars?

DrewP

Hay

I am thinking of getting a set of roof bars for a thule roof box, on my focus 2012. I've seen the standard ford ones but what are they like? I am a bit worried about the paint work etc, can any one give any advice?

Thanks

Drew

22 minutes ago, DrewP said:

Hay

I am thinking of getting a set of roof bars for a thule roof box, on my focus 2012. I've seen the standard ford ones but what are they like? I am a bit worried about the paint work etc, can any one give any advice?

Thanks

Drew

I'm not sure when Ford changed the fitting on roof bars from that used on the Mk 1 Focus 5 door hatch.  On the Mk 1 the OEM bars don't rest on the roof and secure using two bolts hidden under the door seal on the underside of the roof rail.  I used this type of bar with a Hapro Traxer 6.6 roof box (Great Box BTW) for thousands of miles without any issue to paint or bodywork.

Now at some point Ford changed the mounting and my new 2017 Focus hatch uses OEM bars that now rest on the roof using a rubber platform and the bars essentially squeeze the car using a wrench like tool to certain torque.    I debated buying bars for the new car but read reports of the OEM bars leaving indentations in the roof despite claims that it was fitted correctly.  

The thule bar mount in a similar way to the Ford OEM (also made by thule I'm told). Wish Ford had kept the old system as using similar thule bars on my Audi it did scratch the paint despite using tape. Wish I'd used 3M or Xpel film rather than cheap Halford tape as this would probably have worked better.

How does the OEM bar mount to the 2012 model ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, avi said:

I used this type of bar with a Hapro Traxer 6.6 roof box (Great Box BTW) for thousands of miles without any issue to paint or bodywork.

Just for ref this is the box I use http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/hapro_traxer_6_6_roof_box_anthracite_black_no_25908/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb{~cC4urewC{vW

Over the years I used numerous Thule products and to be honest I've not been that impressed but that's just me.  The above box holds about as least as much as can be squeezed into the standard Mk 1 Focus boot space and we don't notice any wind noise. We were surprised by just how much it holds and the left/right opening and central locking makes it convenient to use.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club