Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Ford Focus Starting Problem

Brammer_2k

Hi All,

I have got a 2015 MK3.5 Ford Focus 1.5 Tdci Titanium which has the push button start and its having issues some times when you want to start it.

the issue is when you want to start the engine it will crank but not fire up, So if you hold the clutch down and press the start button it will turn the engine over but not fire up, trying it again does nothing and plugging in an ODB reader when this issue is still here it does not give any codes. Only way to get it to fire up is "turn it off then on again" like i do all day in my job in I.T :laugh: 

I have had this occur 3 times so far, Once before its 2nd service, 2nd time a few days after 2nd service when i was taking the car back to the dealer where i had it done to have its brakes re bled (they was really poor after service) so i made the dealer aware of this and they couldn't find any issues and told me to let them know about it again if it happened as it might be a problem in the making? Both of these evens is where the car was stood for 9 hours or more.

This happened a 3rd time this weekend but was when i was on the way home from the supermarket so the car was warm so can rule out a cold start problem?

Personally i think this is a software problem with the immobiliser or the fuel system? Is there a way to check the software version of the engine etc like you can with the radio???

Has anyone came across this before and know how to fix it??

a little bit oh helpful information, auto stop start has been working so the battery voltage is good, whole car is stock, car currently just under 18,000 miles from new.

Need anything else please let me know.

Thanks

Get it back to the dealer. You have warranty. I had this issue and they installed a load of software updates and its cured it for me. It could be a blocked fuel filter however, that is due to be changed at service number 3.

Thanks Andy. I'll give the dealer a call and see what response I get. 

I think it would be unlikely to be the fuel filter due to the mileage and age of the car, plus its mainly ran on Shell v power diesel anyway. 

Also the car runs fine but recently the mpg has plummeted to mid 50s where normally it's just over 60 or so. This might be because of the cooler weather but not too sure? 

Mine was on less than 30,000 miles and that was suggested as a possible cause before software updates.

Regarding fuel type, I've tried V-Power in mine and found it causes my car to regen more frequently, and just a whole lot more growly than using BP Ultimate which seems to make mine quieter.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, had car in yesterday and they was aliment there was no fault but updated the car anyway, I even video's it and they never seen it do this before. Only when the key isn't detected but that's a different error. 

Since my last post it's happened 4 or 5 times. 

Since I had the update yesterday I've been from dealer to work, work to home and from home to work. 

On startup this morning same thing happened again, what the f?! 

Next week when I'm back home I'm going to use the spare key and see if it's this which is the issue. 

Anyone else had this issue before? 

Can you share these videos?

Yeah I can, at work right now so give me a day or 2 and I can put it on youtube. 

Only turned car on to test new wipers and it had error. Lol

Here you go. 

If i knew how to cut video at the end before I uploaded it that be cool. 

Edit : turn volume up to hear engine turning over..

Edited by Brammer_2k
Edit

off-topic but the car is due for oil and filter change from the service light on the dash, did they not pick-up on that when it was at the dealers or are you doing that yourself ;-)

3 hours ago, andypsp said:

off-topic but the car is due for oil and filter change from the service light on the dash, did they not pick-up on that when it was at the dealers or are you doing that yourself ;-)

No its not. The car only has the ignition on.

Brammer_2k... This is exactly what I was having with my car too. You'd try and start it and it would either turn over and over and never start or start and then promptly shut down again and both gave me this exact message. It does log a code in the EMS but normal OBD readers probably won't pick it up

I took mine back to Ford, and they performed a load of system updates and that seems to have cured it. So take it back to them and get them to perform updates to ALL modules in the car. As of today I currently have the newest firmware available on everything because if they miss an update to one module this can cause further issues.

• 2 years later...
On 5/22/2017 at 8:27 AM, DJ_Andy_M said:

Brammer_2k... This is exactly what I was having with my car too. You'd try and start it and it would either turn over and over and never start or start and then promptly shut down again and both gave me this exact message. It does log a code in the EMS but normal OBD readers probably won't pick it up

I took mine back to Ford, and they performed a load of system updates and that seems to have cured it. So take it back to them and get them to perform updates to ALL modules in the car. As of today I currently have the newest firmware available on everything because if they miss an update to one module this can cause further issues.

On 5/22/2017 at 8:27 AM, DJ_Andy_M said:

I am having similar problems i think its something to do with immobiliser from the warning light between fuel and temp gauge  it eventually starts after using emergency reset for the key in the arm rest all gauges flick up a small amount when it resets 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club