Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What engine have I got??

1157jonboy

Hi all, I have a Mk2.5 focus 1.6 tdci (2009). very pleased with it so far. can someone tell me if it is the Peugeot engine and how do I tell? I have heard some horror stories about turbos disintegrating on certain engines,  just wondering how to tell what engine I have, and anything I can do to help prevent any problems occurring. Car has done 60,000 miles with full service history.

Under Ford Duratorq Engine on wikipedia it gives all the details, the engine is called HDI on Peugeot and Citroen. The only problem I have had was DMF failure which was sorted under warranty. My current 1.6tdci is good on 54000 miles. I do plenty of long trips and avoid supermarket fuel

• Like 1

the 2009 1.6 TDCI should be slightly more protected than the ones you have read horror stories about. I would highly recommend 6k oil changes though.  mines on 109k but ive done a fair amount of work on her to keep her ticking nicely, fixed the EGR and DPF problem, 6 k oil changes, 12k fuel filter changes, let her heat up for before booting it and before killing the engine let it sit for  few seconds and generally keep a good eye on everything else.

• Like 1

All 1.6 TDCI engines that Ford use are produced by PSA. The MK2/MK2.5 did have the old 16 valve version of this engine. Unfortunately on this type of engine all of the horror stories are applicable. The late 8-valve version (used in the Focus MK3) is much better.

This type of engine has a lot of known problems. It is very important to reduce the service interval to 9000 Miles (some people even used a reduced service interval of 6000 Miles). If you want to keep the original service interval you have to at least change the oil between services. The injector seals are also a point of concern. You have to inspect these regularly and when sticky substances are visible the seals need to be changed.

When well taken care of the 1.6 TDCI is basically a nice economical engine. 

• Like 1

For short journeys, let the car idle before switching off to save the dpf:

It is also said that idling a Diesel engine fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) can help prevent said DPF getting clogged after the vehicle is used for short journeys, where the exhaust system does not get fully up to temperature. 

P.S 

It may even be good for petrol cars, as it reduces hot spots. Though someone on this forum may have to verify that.

• Like 1

I had a 2007 fiesta 1.6tdci (the twin cam 16 valve) . Abosuluetly loved that engine it. bought at 1,600 miles, sold to my brother at 146,000 miles. I changed the oil every 15k with Castrol Magnetec and genuine Ford filter. My brother now has 152k on it. Never had any sign of turbo problems. never needs oil top between changes. I know 15k is more than Ford say, perhaps I was super lucky. My theory was that my mileage was mostly motorway, whereas ford must take into account more worse case scenario type mileage when they say12.5k.

Anyway, I did have injector seals leaking. when you have the heater on you can smell diesel as it seeps past the seal and forms a puddle around the injector and then cooks, smelling and turning into a tar like substance. Each time one started leaking I did them up tighter which cured it for many thousand miles (they all leaked at different times). Now my brother has the car one has started seeping again. Sometimes the leak is accompanied by a chuffing sound on tickover if you stick your head under the bonnet. 

But you must not overtighten, if you strip/snap bolt then you really have a very major problem to sort out.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, isetta that's very reassuring that yours was/is all good for so long. I will definitely be doing regular oil & filter changes on mine, however I have now just noticed an oil leak which I spotted when I took the drivers side front wheel off to do the pads, so no idea where that's coming from.......

mine was leaking oil at about 10k miles. I found that one of the sump bolts (at the pulley end of sump ) could be turned with my fingers. did it up tight and was fine after that. Very strange, it must have not been done up properly in the factory

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club