Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless ST's being stolen

Kylinski

Hi all 

Really happy with my new ST X.

While at work today, a colleague informed me that Ford ST's are being stolen on a regular basis.

At first I thought it was a wind up until I looked on line! 

I cant believe in this day n age modern cars are able to be stolen with apparent ease!! 

So, it's back to the trusty steering lock I guess. 

The things salesman neglect to mention hey!  

Any car with keyless start is vulnerable. They hack them through the OBD port.

That's why I always secure or hide mine.

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like the kind of people That just want to point out something negative about driving a desirable car.   They had keyless bmw's on watchdog about 5 years ago, it's a hand held clone in a gang of 2 people,they scan it in your pocket as you walk away, they also sit in service stations on the motorway, block your signal from locking it and just steal the stuff out of cars and trucks

Sounds a bit like the kind of people That just want to point out something negative about driving a desirable car.   They had keyless bmw's on watchdog about 5 years ago, it's a hand held clone in a gang of 2 people,they scan it in your pocket as you walk away, they also sit in service stations on the motorway, block your signal from locking it and just steal the stuff out of cars and trucks

That's the 5 yr old method, the new method is even easier. It's still a two man job but can be done on your driveway without the person ever being near you. All it costs is about £80 worth of kit and your away. A transmitter amplifier is used along side a receiver, an OBD connector and cable and the software to start the engine. Someone with the amplifier goes around the outside of your house, normally round the front door, and it picks up the signal that your key emits constantly. This is then sent to the receiver which is near the car and the doors unlock, they jump in and use the OBD port to start your car and they're away. Well that's what a friend told me [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

That's the 5 yr old method, the new method is even easier. It's still a two man job but can be done on your driveway without the person ever being near you. All it costs is about £80 worth of kit and your away. A transmitter amplifier is used along side a receiver, an OBD connector and cable and the software to start the engine. Someone with the amplifier goes around the outside of your house, normally round the front door, and it picks up the signal that your key emits constantly. This is then sent to the receiver which is near the car and the doors unlock, they jump in and use the OBD port to start your car and they're away. Well that's what a friend told me emoji6.png

Surely Ford must be onto this???

And if it's so common why isn't my insurance mega bucks? 

Keep your keys in a Faraday cage when not in use, that's what I do. Problem sorted. :)

• Like 1

As above, it's not just ford that are dealing with these issues. This type of theft, where the car is actually taken in this way is relatively new.

Keep your keys in a Faraday cage when not in use, that's what I do. Problem sorted. :)

Or the microwave [emoji12]

I have a tracker, clutch pedal lock and a dummy OBD fitted so short of picking the car up there isn't a big chance of mine getting nabbed.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, alexp999 said:

What's a Faraday cage? 

I googled it, the photos are of a pouch for mobile phones??? 

Just now, Kylinski said:

What's a Faraday cage? 

I googled it, the photos are of a pouch for mobile phones??? 

It's more of a description, than a specific thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Any metal cage/pouch/tin/container that blocks the RF signals getting out from key is essentially a Faraday cage.

If you've got something you want to test, just pop the keys in it and try and unlock the car. If it doesn't recognise the key until you open the container then you have a working Faraday cage. :)

11 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I have a tracker, clutch pedal lock and a dummy OBD fitted so short of picking the car up there isn't a big chance of mine getting nabbed.

I can't move the OBD as it may effect my warranty. 

Intresingly, I was at Ford today, the salesman 'played down' the issue saying it only happened to fiestas where the OBD was near the wing mirror. It's not happening on bigger Fords. Mmmm! 

It was easier on Fiesta's, but I'm not going to post publicly why.

Still easy on any keyless car, they just try and hack the OBD quickly while the alarm is going off, then shut it up.

Hence why at least moving it is a good step as the attention from a sounding alarm is usually enough to put them off trying to find it.

Also, unclipping the OBD port from its holder and tucking or tying it out of the way won't affect your warranty. Just remember to temporarily put it back come service time so they can plug in their equipment.

• Like 3

My Festa, not keyless was gone in about 90 seconds. i have now relocated my OBD port into a metal safe.  Along with a Disklok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, karl46 said:

My Festa, not keyless was gone in about 90 seconds. i have now relocated my OBD port into a metal safe.  Along with a Disklok.

Not even keyless start?

On 5/9/2017 at 10:45 PM, alexp999 said:

I've ordered 2 of these. One for the spare key and one to carry carry about with me. 

Im also fitting a steering lock. 

With my luck with cars, I'm taking no chances! 

1 hour ago, Philf1 said:

Read this if want to get really depressed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4503762/On-Amazon-hacking-gadget-car-thief-s-dream.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk

Depressing indeed! 😧

Car manufacturers are always slow to respond! 

So, is it that the key fob only sends a signal when it's near the car, or is the fob constantly sending a signal to the car?

Could theives read the signal from a key fob sitting on a table inside someone's home?

It seems that according to that article, theives need to wait until the key fob is pressed, opening the doors, to read the signal?

Can someone clarify this? When is the car most vunrable? 

And do they then steal the car? Surely the immobiliser prevents the car being started?

A keyless fob transmits the signal at all times AFAIK that is how thieves can use a range extender outside your home when the car is on the drive

Because there are no buttons to be pressed on the keyless fob it always emits the signal, that's what I have been told. To me though it would make more sense if the car always emitted a signal requesting a code which was then picked up by the corresponding key and that key would then transmit the code. That's why some people disable the key via ELM. I'm also sure the thief then uses the OBD port to start the car, again that's why people move and or lock their port and use a steering lock.

I can confirm that a keyless entry fob doesn't constantly transmit as I have a fob tester which lights up when a signal is received and my keys don't set it off.
The fob is passive until it is within range of and within the sensor areas to the sides and rear of the car.
The only time the keys produce their own signal is when a button is pressed.
RCL keys transmit on 433Mhz and can be detected using any fob tester, radio scanner or frequency counter but it's the digital code that the fob transmits which needs to be recognised and accepted by the car.
All the worries about keys being read from inside your house are unfounded, they need to be actively trsnsmitting to be picked up.
TBH, keyless entry is actually more secure than using keys that need to always be pressed.
The problem comes from the fact that no physical key needs to be inserted into an ignition barrel to start the car, spoofing the system via the obd port is all that is needed.
Fitting a false port, hiding the port, locking the port in a protective box or physically locking the steering wheel or clutch pedal are prudent measures.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 5/9/2017 at 10:45 PM, alexp999 said:

Mine arrived yesterday.

It works, though you still have to take the key fob out of the case to open the door, which means the signal can still be detected while entering and starting the car. 

The codes change though so even if they scan it, once locked/unlocked again the code has changed. The idea of the Faraday cage it to stop thieves using signal boosters to trick the car in to thinking the key is within range.

• Like 1

If the keys only emit a code when near the receivers of the car how can a booster be any use? The key does not emit the code all the time, so I'm lead to believe. The driver and key would be close enough to stop anyone messing with the car I would have thought.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club