Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 2.0TDCi EGR problems?

wjsmarine

Hi All,

I'm new to the Ford empire with my 2008 2.0TDCi 6 speed manual hatchback with 155,000km on the clock, I just joined this forum.  I'm in Australia and the vehicle was built in South Africa apparently.

When purchased from a private seller it drove without issue and for the first few hundred km's thereafter but then developed a nasty shuddering on cruise and light throttle eventually leading to MIL and other indications (LCD "Engine System Fault") and difficult to start.  Engine codes were P2566, P0236, P141A and P0490 - these last two relate to EGR sensor issues.  Clearing these with my OBDII reader allowed easy starting but a test drive confirmed the problem remained with the jerkiness and ultimate stoppage with a MIL light.

Regarding P2566 (Turbo control position sensor) I replaced the sensor only to find the same code appearing again after the shuddering.  I also tested the physical turbo actuation of the VNT by using my hand vacuum pump directly for a number of operations.  All moved freely for what appeared to be full strokes each way.

I removed the EGR valve and found very little coking of soot and a freely moving mechanism but cleaned the assembly anyway.  I have no details of the electrical connections but measured resistance of the 5 pins (6 pin connector, #2 is not populated) for reference.  With the EGR valve unbolted but connected to the loom and the engine running the valve is closed at idle and momentarily actuates with throttle movement as expected - also at idle if I force the mechanism the motor opposes my movement strongly so I expect the assembly is fully operational.  I have access to a Peugeot 407 with the same engine so removed its (identical) EGR valve and confirmed both its electrical measurements and operation at idle are identical to the Focus unit.  Swapping the Pug valve to the Focus and repeating the tests resulted in exactly the same operation so I don't believe the EGR valve is defective.

I reassembled everything and was pleased to find the car running 100% all day with 4 different trips covering about 100km - until the final drive home when the shuddering started again on light throttle.  Noting there was none at idle (although nearly stalled leaving the traffic lights) or under acceleration but only light throttle and cruise I am convinced the problem remains EGR related because of the problems occurring only at times when the EGR would be doing its job.

I can only assume the ECU drivers for EGR are suspect or the interconnecting wiring loom so next job will be to remove the wiring loom and confirm all EGR wires are continuous.  If there are any suggestions on where the ECU is located and how to remove it I'd appreciate the help or any other suggestions on what to do next.

If all else fails I will look into a tune/remap to remove the EGR operation completely so suggestions welcome here as well.

Thanks in advance for your constructive information and help.

Kind regards, Bill

Just block it. So easy on that engine, even I managed it.  Much much smoother. (at least as a temporary test)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club