Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DV6 engine query

FatHead1979

Hi all,

Mr father in law is considering leaving the dark side (BMW) and purchasing an 11 plate MK2.5 Focus.  The one he has seen has service history (I'm assuming FSH at this point), I've checked on ETIS and it's the cDPF variant which is good.

My question is in relation to the changes that were made over the life of the DV6 engines to make them more reliable i.e. the newer 8 valve version is a seemingly a lot more reliable than the original 16 valve version.  With the car being a late MK2.5 does anyone know if the DV6 engine will be one of the "modified" versions or is it likely to still be exactly the same version that was fitted in the early builds?

I'm trying to steer him towards a 1.8 TDCi to avoid the potential DPF and blowing turbo issues but the car he's looking at does look tidy so if it all adds up we'll see where we go.

Don't know the answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine

At bottom of DV6 section it shows a table with the engine codes for 16 and 8 valves.

Does ford etis give you enough info to match it up with that table.

Visually the 16 valve has two cams and the injectors are in between the two cams (bit like looking at a twin cam petrol engine where you have the spark plugs in between the twin cams)

The 8 valve has one cam with the injectors more towrds the back of the engine

ETIS shows the engine as DV6 rather than DV6-C or D so I think I'm going to go with the engine being the older "compromised" design and suggest he gives it a wide berth.

(Unless someone can confirm otherwise in terms of which engine variant is in this car).

image.png

EDIT: just checked couple of MK3 Focus I found on Autotrader and ETIS does show DV6C for the newer variant.

I'll definitely be suggesting be suggesting he keeps his money in his pocket.

image.thumb.png.96c21396dc2fa056913a471be9291148.png

Edited by 1979Damian
Added 2nd screenshot

The info on ford etis was not very specific was it.

On my current car it says:  1.5L SOHC DI TC DSL DV5FD B    

which is bit more specific, although I can't find a table of DV5 engines (DV5 being the 1.5 versions of the single cam 8 valve DV6)

I had a  2007 Fiesta DV6 engine which my brother now has at just under 160k miles. No turbo problems or other major problems, although I am aware that they have a reputation for turbo failures. It seems to go a lot better than my current 1.5tdci

That's funny because I drove a load of 1.5 and 1.6 TDCi Focus as hire cars in the last 18 months and I really liked the 1.5 TDCi engine.  I think there might have been a software update for the that engine though, not sure if it was anything to do with performance.

***Just noticed you have the 1.5 TDCi in a Fiesta*** For the Fiesta I think that engine is available with either 84 BHP or 120BHP, if yours is the 84 BHP variant I'd expect it to feel a LOT slower than a 108 BHP DV6 engine or 120 BHP DV5.

mk7.5 fiesta 1.5tdci  came in 75bhp and 95bhp. I have the 95bhp.  My older 2007 1.6tdci was 90bhp. The new fiesta has higher bhp

It has the DV6TED4 version of the engine fitted to that vehicle 110ps is a dead giveaway, these are the 16v engines.

Hope that helps! 

Thanks for the advice guys.  I think he's going to go ahead with the purchase despite my reservations :whistling:

Nice looking car though and it looks like it has been looked after.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club