Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CAN'T FIND DAB FUNCTION ON SONY FORD DAB RADIO??

ColonelSanders

Hi,

Can anyone help me find the DAB functionality on my Ford Sony DAB radio?

I have a ford focus 2014 st with a standard FM/AM radio. I bought a replacement off eBay........a Ford Sony DAB radio (part BM5T-18C815-XK, serial Z010263). 

A professional installer came to swap it over but he couldn't find the DAB menu?? Only the FM and AM stations. We tried every button & menu but to no avail. We didn't connect the digital aerial but in any case, surely the unit should have still been able to offer the DAB menu and simply said "no reception"? The seller advertised it as DAB and indeed it does say DAB on the case.

See pics attached. Any advice or help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

22207177_10159358745100147_1408538110_n.jpg

22237266_10159358745105147_381995094_n.jpg

2 hours ago, ColonelSanders said:

Hi,

Can anyone help me find the DAB functionality on my Ford Sony DAB radio?

I have a ford focus 2014 st with a standard FM/AM radio. I bought a replacement off ebay........a Ford Sony DAB radio (part BM5T-18C815-XK, serial Z010263). 

A professional installer came to swap it over but he couldn't find the DAB menu?? Only the FM and AM stations. We tried every button & menu but to no avail. We didn't connect the digital aerial but in any case, surely the unit should have still been able to offer the DAB menu and simply said "no reception"? The seller advertised it as DAB and indeed it does say DAB on the case.

See pics attached. Any advice or help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

22207177_10159358745100147_1408538110_n.jpg

22237266_10159358745105147_381995094_n.jpg

ive got dab on mine earlier model .i just press radio untill it comes up with what i want .try that

On the Focus MK3 the DAB functionality needs to be activated/configured in the CCC (Central Car Configuration) of the BCM.

If not activated/configured the DAB functionality will not work.

I was gonna say you need to use FoCCCus and an ELM cable to enable it.  It's one of the self explanatory options in the software.

Indeed, and just to confirm, if you don't do this, it'll just not appear on the radio sub menu, and won't cycle with each radio hardware button press.  It just disappears, exactly as you describe.

The good thing is, it's a nice easy fix - but you will need a ELM327 cable and FoCCCus.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Am I right in saying Focccus is a bit of software? And do I need anything else apart from an ELM cable? And what's a BCM? As you can tell, I have no idea about any of this so I'm assuming a professional would have to sort this. I'm hoping that doesn't mean an official ford dealer?

Also one other question - can this radio function with a glass mounted aerial? Or does the non DAB aerial + base on the roof have to be replaced?

sorry for all the questions. I never imagined this would be so complicated and I'm a complete novice.

I owe you all a beer.

I have read differing things that say that the DAB antenna is glass mounted and that it is in the base of the whip.

On my Ti which had Sony DAB from factory, it is in the base of the main antenna. I discovered this for certain after fitting cheap LED brake lights and losing DAB when braking. I put ferrites on the looms and thought I'd fixed the problem - only to realise that the open boot was shielding the antenna and the problem returned when the boot was shut!

So you could get DAB by driving round with the boot open :biggrin:

i bought a separate glass mounted aerial (website says its compatible with sony ford radio)

but the installer says it won't fit the socket in the back of the radio unit....:sad:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

I have read differing things that say that the DAB antenna is glass mounted and that it is in the base of the whip.

On my Ti which had Sony DAB from factory, it is in the base of the main antenna. I discovered this for certain after fitting cheap LED brake lights and losing DAB when braking. I put ferrites on the looms and thought I'd fixed the problem - only to realise that the open boot was shielding the antenna and the problem returned when the boot was shut!

I've never seen a glass mounted antenna for a factory DAB radio unless its been fitted aftermarket. If this guy has upgraded he will need to fit an antenna as the connector is a fakra and will not use the existing antenna loom as the already installed antenna will not be setup for DAB.

The connector is FAKRA you are correct, but the Halfords Sonichi plug does fit (you just push it into the fakra and it fits snuggly - just remove very carefully!

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/sonichi-magnetic-roof-mount-dab-antenna

Absolute steal at that price (£12.75? with our discount), and I know it works becuase I have it on my car.  Reception is about the same as the original (I installed it because of a problem with my OEM-DAB reception, but it turned out not to be aerial related).

BTW, do you need a modified cable for FoCCCus? I can't remember, since I have one anyway, but is BCM/IPC HS or MS? Technically you only need to update the IPC I believe, since the BCM is a backup, but I guess that's extremely bad practice!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club