Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF advice please

Martin2017

Hi I am looking for advice on my DPF. I don't kno if I'm in the right section but here is my problem anyway. My engine light came on and the car started loosing power,so brought it to a mechanic and he said my DPF was blocked. So it got sent away for cleaning and the car ran fine for 2 weeks and the same problem happened again so I went back and they refilled the additive and said it was empty that I should be fine. Now 2 weeks later the same problem. I do a lot of motorway driving. The car is a 1.6tdi 2013 focus. Can any one  advise me why this keeps happening please?? 

You got lied to the 2013 Focus MK3 onwards does not use additives such as eolys fluid, what mileage is on your car? Could just be a simple fuel filter replacement.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:54 PM, Ryan_Tango said:

You got lied to the 2013 Focus MK3 onwards does not use additives such as eolys fluid, what mileage is on your car? Could just be a simple fuel filter replacement.

There is 97000 miles on the clock. So do you think I should just do a fuel filter replacement??

Take it to a different mechanic tbh...

As Ryan says, there's no additive for those so I dread to think what they were pouring where... :unsure:

It's potentially a temp or pressure sensor fault.  Or a damaged pipe to the pressure sensor.  Or an unrelated engine fault such as the EGR sticking open which causes excess soot which blocks the DPF quicker than it can regenerate.

Have you owned the car long or recently bought it?  Always done lots of motorway?  Are you cruising at a reasonable speed or just rolling along at 55mph in 6th?

The fuel filters on these do block earlier than their suggested interval but if it was that, it would be immediately noticeable instead of taking 2 weeks.  

2 hours ago, Martin2017 said:

There is 97000 miles on the clock. So do you think I should just do a fuel filter replacement??

Tom made a great point I completely forgot about the sensors they're very prone to failing and usually the cause of problems, I know Terraclean replace the sensors but I'm assuming a mechanic would be able to do the same, but don't use your current mechanic.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Take it to a different mechanic tbh...

As Ryan says, there's no additive for those so I dread to think what they were pouring where... :unsure:

It's potentially a temp or pressure sensor fault.  Or a damaged pipe to the pressure sensor.  Or an unrelated engine fault such as the EGR sticking open which causes excess soot which blocks the DPF quicker than it can regenerate.

Have you owned the car long or recently bought it?  Always done lots of motorway?  Are you cruising at a reasonable speed or just rolling along at 55mph in 6th?

The fuel filters on these do block earlier than their suggested interval but if it was that, it would be immediately noticeable instead of taking 2 weeks.  

Any idiot can replace the sensors...from experience. :biggrin:

They should be tested on diagnostics first though, if it's just a small Indy garage they may not have the right equipment.  On that note, I seem to remember having to reset my DPF parameters through Forscan after changing it.  They may not have done that, not sure how much difference it would make.

I'm sorry to say but your garage has flat out lied to you. :angry:

The diesel engines in the MK3 all have a cDPF i.e. a ceramic one that doesn't need the additional fluid injecting into the DPF to aid burn off.  There isn't anywhere on your car for them to "fill up" the DPF fluid :wallbash: so they are flat out lying.  Do you have an invoice where they have charged you for refilling the DPF fluid?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club