Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoke on acceleration

Chewy72

My 2014 focus diesel zetec s smokes on acceleration and smells of fumes only had it 9 weeks worried sick any ideas 

just when it's hot or just when it's cold or all of the time. what mileage is it showing?   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy72 said:

Would appear when getting warm 64k 

Once it's warm does it do it continually?

Especially noticeable at night with car headlights behind 

car drives fine apart from this 

So even once warmed up it doesn't always do it?

I'd be very surprised if the injector seals had given up after just 3-4 years, although never say never.  Are there any visible sign of leaks around the injectors/any "chuffing" noises (yes, as in like a steam train?).

To be honest if it's driving well I wouldn't worry too much, but it's probably a sensible move to start looking at possible causes.

Have you got a modified ELM cable?

It idles fine but smells of fumes drives fine but really shouldn't be smoking on acceleration 

also I notice a bit of carbon around the turbo

16 hours ago, Chewy72 said:

What's an ELM cable

One of these mate Modified ELM327 cable, it's USB so you need a laptop to plug it into, they also do a wireless one for tablets/phones etc.  Along with certain software it allows you to plug into your car, see/clear error codes, check live data etc, similar to what garages use when they plugin and charge you £50 for the privilege.

Injector seals can make it smell fumey under the bonnet and hence come into the air intake to heater vents inside car.   I can't see that the injector seals would cause smoke out of the exhaust . 

as above "Are there any visible sign of leaks around the injectors/any "chuffing" noises (yes, as in like a steam train?)."  (at the base of the injectors where they go into the cylinder head)

Not sure seems abit hesitant when cold and smells 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club