Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uneven idle and start stop update

Legacy7770

Hello everyone drove a 100 or so miles yesterday the stop start system worked perfectly no problem at all. 

Two problems left to sort out 

1 Road noise I think my rear tyres are stepped out. 

2 uneven idle it gets worse when you put lights heated screen etc seems to be dependent on electrical load 

Any help would be much appreciated guys 

Thanks Steve Evans 

The stop stop system is very sensitive to battery voltage you will find when you do short journeys the stop start will stop working eventually.  Ive had two focuses and both stepped the rear tyres eventually very annoying.  Rotating them regularly does help.  No idea about the uneven idle as the ecoboost usually idles nicely.  Have you checked the engine for inlet air leaks?

Tyres went the same on my mk2, made worse by rotating them as there was then wear on different areas, noise was horrendous, wish I'd left them where they were as ended up replacing all 4 instead of 2 at a time lol.

Uneven idle with high electrical load, presumably just after startup as you said heated screens, isn't unusual on a modern car.  The alternator will struggle to charge the battery at idle even before all those extras, the PCM wants the revs to stay low for emissions but the alternator/smart charge wants more revs to top up the battery so it's a bit of a compromise...  Is it still rough when warm?

Thanks for the quick replys guy's.

Rear tyres definitely stepped out as I've swapped them to the front of the car and now the rumble is at the front. Will get them done tomorrow. 

As for the idle speed. First of all I checked for any error codes none found. 

Had a go with the launch no codes found 

Live data all looks fine fuel trims ok checked the pipework for any air leaks none found. OK next was the altanator no load 14.8 v full load 14.5 v voltage drop tested all the earth connections all fine 

The only thing I can think of now is something that I found on the launch apparently I should relearn the cam position while at TDC. It states that if the cam cover belt bottom pulley have been replaced or removed that you must carry out the procedure. 

I'll keep you posted guys 

Steve 

• Like 1

Update guys new tyres sorted the road noise. No more noise!!! 

Going to set the car to tdc tomorrow then use the launch to relearn the cam position 

I'll keep you posted guys 

Steve 

Good stuff mate, I'm well impressed that you managed to restore a knackered 1.0 EB engine to working order (I get it also depended on what was damaged but still, fair play).

And me considering the ecoboost is a new and technically advanced engine.  Just goes to show you don't always need a new engine just someone who knows what they are doing.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Remember it's just an engine ounce you strip off the stuff on the outside  its just an engine and a small one at that!!

The engine wasn't that hard to work on to be fair except for the bottom pulley!!!

Major problem is parts availability timing belt and tensioner back order degas hose back order etc. 

Don't even try to rebuild the bottom end of the engine crankshaft pistons big end bearings etc the only way forward is a replacement block. Wish I'd taking more photos guys. 

Steve 

• Like 1

Update again guys the relearn process smoothed out the idle speed the car still pulls like a train!!

43 minutes ago, Legacy7770 said:

Update again guys the relearn process smoothed out the idle speed the car still pulls like a train!!

Nice, I bet you're in a happy place seeing as the gamble seems to have paid off! :biggrin:

Every non runner is the same mate!!

Never take anything for granted it could have just as easily been a replacement engine  

Steve  

• Like 1

Good work sounds like it will be a good car after all.

what does stepped out rear tyres mean

Jamie

Hi mate it simply means that the inside edges of the rear tyres are worn unevenly. 

If your getting exsecive Road noise rub your hand along the inside edge of your rear tyres and feel for uneven wear  

Steve 

You might know it as 'feathering' as that's the more common term. :smile:

Americans tend to call it saw-tooth wear.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club