Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Misfire after cambelt change

robertvb

Misfire and o2 sensor issue after cambelt and water pump fitted on ka2013 Car left garage and about 15 mins into journey engine management light flashing and warning light lit and engine losing power Garage checked but unsure of whats causing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, robertvb said:

Misfire and o2 sensor issue after cambelt and water pump fitted on ka2013 Car left garage and about 15 mins into journey engine management light flashing and warning light lit and engine losing power Garage checked but unsure of whats causing this

Sounds more like the coil/leads or plugs have gone (the misfire) when the coil breaks down it can sometimes also effect the O2 sensor but the O2 sensor issue could just be a symptom due to the coil/plugs/leads. 

Sounds more like the coil/leads or plugs have gone (the misfire) when the coil breaks down it can sometimes also effect the O2 sensor but the O2 sensor issue could just be a symptom due to the coil/plugs/leads. 

Car had just had a 62,000 service and garage checked all those issues

16 minutes ago, robertvb said:

Car had just had a 62,000 service and garage checked all those issues

Did they hook it up to a diagnostics to read the codes?

Did they hook it up to a diagnostics to read the codes?

They did not get any codes out of it although i gave them the codes the AA gave me when they plugged it in

903394413a6d12121952e0f244d9ee76.jpg

Missfire on cylinder4 if I remember right normally suggests a faulty coil. When the coil goes it can also take out the plugs and leads, the O2 sensor ‘could’ be a symptom of the coil failing.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

they need to recheck the cambelt timing.

Agreed, even being one tooth off can cause a drama.

Missfire on cylinder4 if I remember right normally suggests a faulty coil. When the coil goes it can also take out the plugs and leads, the O2 sensor ‘could’ be a symptom of the coil failing.

Thanks for info see what the Ford garage say they seem to be baffled i asked them about the coil service manager said checked and is ok so is strange unless he is fobbing me off must have done something when changing cambelt and water pump

can i ask why you had the cam belt changed at 62k.

it does sound like the belt is not set correctly or they messed with something and may have damaged it.

i would not pay anymore for any parts as its their fault the car is playing up

unless it was like it prior to having the belt done.

i understand having the aux belt changed but the cam belt ?

can i ask why you had the cam belt changed at 62k.
it does sound like the belt is not set correctly or they messed with something and may have damaged it.
i would not pay anymore for any parts as its their fault the car is playing up
unless it was like it prior to having the belt done.
i understand having the aux belt changed but the cam belt ?

Cambelt changed in line with manufacturer recommendation

12 hours ago, robertvb said:

They did not get any codes out of it although i gave them the codes the AA gave me when they plugged it in

903394413a6d12121952e0f244d9ee76.jpg

Looks like the coil pack at fault to me, quite often see 2 cylinders show a misfire. 1 and 4 probably fire at the same time using wasted spark method. 2 cylinders use one coil. 

Looks like the coil at fault to me, quite often see 2 cylinders show a misfire. 1 and 4 probably fire at the same time using wasted spark method. 2 cylinders use one coil. 

Thanks for info garage said when plugged in got error of o2 sensor but then started showing up different errors every time they check it so not sure whats going on initially they said car has been out for 20 , 40, 15 minute runs and all been fine and as soon as i drove it had problems with engine management light flashing and warning light on and loss of power as soon as i turned engine off and on warning light still on and drove car to garage no loss in power

Lambda sensor will show up due to being out of parameter with the un burnt fuel

• Like 1

22 hours ago, robertvb said:

Cambelt changed in line with manufacturer recommendation

take abck to garage to get it fitted correctly  if the problems started after the belt was fitted

re ignition/wasted spark method. I am not familiar with this car but I am familiar with that method from japanese motorbikes of the 1970s onwards.

Can you narrow it down by swapping the coils/leads around and then see if you get fault codes on cylinders 2 & 3 instead of 1 & 4. I don't know if that is easy or possible.

But as said before  by others I would be pushing the problem back on the garage.

If the new belt had been fitted with the timing one or more teeth out I am not sure how noticable this would be when you drove it - eg. power down a bit?

I do agree that the 02 sensor fault could be caused by it chucking loads of unburnt fuel into the exhaust (so not really a fault, but a symptom of other fault(s).

Call from the garage they say changed ecu unit and cost would be £1200 and deny its a problem caused when they changed cam belt and water pump The car was running perfectly before it went in for cambelt and water pump change Ford customer relations do not seem to want to help as is a franchised garage

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club