Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying advice for a 2005 1.6 petrol

Jack McGuire

Hi all, I am going to look at a car with a friend today, he needs something to use for a year or two whilst his insurance comes back down.

He has found a 2005 1.6 MK2 focus with 138,000 on it. What should we be looking out for on this car?

Many thanks.

Jack

36 minutes ago, Jack McGuire said:

Hi all, I am going to look at a car with a friend today, he needs something to use for a year or two whilst his insurance comes back down.

He has found a 2005 1.6 MK2 focus with 138,000 on it. What should we be looking out for on this car?

Many thanks.

Jack

If it's the non-VCT engine then I don't think there is anything specific to worry about.  If it's the VCT version of the engine then it needs to have good service history, specifically regular oil changes otherwise the VCT can wear a lot quicker and VCT problems typically cost ££££ to fix.  Knowing what BHP the engine is will tell us if it's the VCT version or not.

Thanks for the response, ive just ran a check and its the 100bhp one?

4 minutes ago, Jack McGuire said:

Thanks for the response, ive just ran a check and its the 100bhp one?

No worries mate, the 100 BHP version is the non-VCT version so it's just the usual older used car stuff to check.

• Ideally some recent service history
  • No major rot/rust on the sills, lower part of the front wings and front lip of the rear arches
  • Pulls smoothly
  • Brakes properly from speed
  • No obvious clutch slip
  • No obvious knocking etc i.e. tired bushes/ball joints etc

Being realistic, on a car of that age it's not likely to be immaculate but if the price is right and it seems pretty solid?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack McGuire said:

Many thanks.

Jack

Ensure that the timing belt has been replaced. Otherwise it will be costly for you to do later on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Incontro said:

Ensure that the timing belt has been replaced. Otherwise it will be costly for you to do later on.

lol , at almost 140K the car is fast approaching the recommended mileage for its 2nd timing belt........ :-D

to the OP , i'd advise your friend to look for something a bit lower mileage to be honest - MOT time will be a nerve racking lottery on those miles / age

• Like 1

have a look at the mot history on dvla website (from the reg no). this will list all of the failure points and advisories.  Although I find advisories vary a lot as some MOT testers put loads of minor stuff down and some do not. But if for example it has an advisory for play on inner track rod ends, and deteriorating suspension bushes and rust near suspension mounts then it puts you on guard when viewing (although a car that mentions none of these could have same things about to go to MOT failure level). 

and then some people get all of the advisories fixed straight away and some people won't fix any of that unless thay are made to (by it becoming a failure). so you just don't know.

I don't think it naturally follows that there will be a lot of stuff about to go at 138k miles.  My brother's 2007 fiesta has 160k on. passed mot last month. no advisories. Been in family since it was 5 months old so we know the history of it. It's had tyres / 2 sets front brake pads / timing belt kit / one air filter /one fuel filter / rear silencer / windscreen / lots of oil and oil filter changes and that's it. (I appreciate it's a Fiesta and not a Focus)

and we don't know if he plans to do loads of miles in it

• Like 1

I would recommend you go for a 1.8 or 2.0L petrol with Duratech engine, these have a timing chain so no cam belt or DPF problems to worry about which is always an expensive  headache with high mileage diesels.  Should be able to pick up a good un for around £1,500.

this was about a petrol engine I believe.  If the timing belt has been done properly it should be fine. they generally last well on these engines and there are not loads of horror stories of premature failure. I find the performance of this engine a bit weak but they don't seem to let you down. 

• Like 1

The non VCT 1.6 petrol is unchanged from the original Focus, despite being a bigger and heavier car. It doesn't really have enough power for the bigger size of the MK2, so the gearing was changed to try and counteract it (IIRC). This gives it relatively weak MPG figures. It's a very reliable engine for sure, but if you can then spring for the 1.8 or 2L Duratech engines.

I looked at 1.6L because it's my first car, but in a year or two I might switch up to a 1.8 or 2L. That said, I really like the focus I have. Everything on it was well kept so despite having done a decent amount of miles, the interior is nice and clean, clutch, gearbox, handbrake, brakes, injectors etc. are all in very good condition. You can't really go wrong with one if it's in pretty good nick.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club