Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wheel Lock

Benlavelle

Morning Guys n Gals, 

In our area we've been seeing a lot more car theft recently, with that in mind i went out and bought a steering wheel lock for my ford focus.

However, i wanted to know how it is that they actually steal you car? From what I've read they seem to buy some device from eBay / amazon for around £300 that boosts the signal of your car keys (while in the house) and relays them back to the car to make the car think you're standing next to it thus opening the door. 

Is this is correct are cars with key-less entry the only one's at risk? or are normal car key holders at risk of this too? 

Ben.

On Non-keyless my understanding is that once access is gained to the OBD (Diagnostic) port then something can be plugged into that to get the immobiliser code to program a key . I understand that on Fiesta ST many have been stolen by breaking the small window just ahead of the front door and reaching in to the OBD port which I am told can be done without setting off alarm. So this is why many people are moving the OBD port to a secret place in the car or disconnecting the wiring from the OBD port, or removing the OBD port fuse. However, removing the fuse only would not be as good as there is till access to the ECU/Computer and the thief could have a battery to overcome the fuse disconnection.  Whilst doing these things might stop the theft of the car, the car has still been damaged in the attempt.

So I am in favour of a big visual deterrent like the steering wheel lock in the hope that it encourages them to move down the road to target someone else's car.   Until everyone has a steering wheel lock and then I guess they will be using the good range of battery drills now available to drill the lock off the steering wheel lock and then use the OBD port.

You can never stop anyone stealing it, you can only make it harder so they hopefully move on to an easier target.

• Like 1

I had read somewhere that placing your keys in a metal box and as far away from the car as possible. May help block this happening. How true this is, IDK. But a visual deterrent like streeing wheel lock, might just make thief's move onto to easier pickings.

Yeah, I want to use the wheel lock I bought from Aldi this week. Only issue is it’s leaving marks / indentations on my leather steering wheel which I really do t like 

I had read somewhere that placing your keys in a metal box and as far away from the car as possible. May help block this happening. How true this is, IDK. But a visual deterrent like streeing wheel lock, might just make thief's move onto to easier pickings.
Definitely works.
I have verified this using an RF key tester which detects the 433Mhz signal sent from a key fob.
My keyfree fob gives out continuous low power pulses and my key case effectively stops them.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

With the bar type steering wheel lock the rim of the steering wheel rim can be sawn through and the bar is then able to be removed. I have used a DiskLok for years.

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/

• Like 1

If I approach my car (‘15 plate Titanium) with the car key on me my doors do not auto unlock. Do I have a different set up meaning I have less to worry about? To unlock the car I have to press unlock on the fob.

you should be more safe then keyless entry but still can be stolen.

The reach of the fob isn't very far. It needs to be within about a metre of the car so not sure how they'd read the fob signal unless the keys are directly behind the door. Or is it just the receiver in the car can't pick up very far?

Huge mount of people leave their car keys within a metre of their front door I reckon. On window sill or in coat pocket on coat rack behind the door.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club