Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

I think that’ll be a card fault, I’ll plug my car in later and tell you were i messed about for the on screen display, I can’t remember off the top of my head 👍🏻

• Like 1

Cheers. The relevant byte (or rather, bit) in the data appears to be correct according to the spreadsheet.

I can't remember which one OTTOMH but it's set to '1' or 'rear only/PDC'.

Also, is it possible to fit a reverse camera to my sync 2? It would seem, looking at the pictures of the back of the apim I posted earlier, that I'm missing a connector for one, or does the feed go directly into the sync connector?

The feed goes into pins 14 and 15 👍🏻

• Like 1

Also the byte I believe needs to changed is 7D0-02-02 make sure that the fifth is a 2 so. 

7D0-02-02 **** 2*** ****

good luck! 

• Like 1

Thanks Luke, I'll give that a go in a bit. 

Got the maps f6 card today. It brings up the nav now but says I have no gps fix, suggesting faulty gpsm module, but emergency assistance apparently works, or at least, doesn't give a fault.

That, and when I accidentally removed the nav option in the as built, there was still a 'where am i' option which shows lat/long. This was working in that it gave a number, but there's no telling at the moment if it was correct.

At the minute, my satnav is fixed in the middle of London with a red x through gps.

I'll try a reset of the sync module and hope that sorts it... 

Yeah give that a go, does the gpsm module show up in forscan? Is it possible the can wires are the wrong way round? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Yeah give that a go, does the gpsm module show up in forscan? Is it possible the can wires are the wrong way round? 

Yes it does show in forscan and it's possible I got the wires the wrong way round, but then it's unlikely the fascia controls would work as they are also down the can as I understand it?

No the fascia is mm-can and the gpsm is ms-can. 

If it shows in forscan I’d try swapping the pins around in the apim 

• Like 1

Ah my bad. You know what I didn't do that you did and I should have? Label all the wires... 🙂

ill try the swap and report back! 

Is the gpsm module the only ms can module connected the APIM uses? 

It sure is 👍🏻 If the plug was already at the window it has to be connected wrong at the apim 

• Like 1

It sure is 👍🏻 If the plug was already at the window it has to be connected wrong at the apim 

• Like 1

Yeah unless i didn't get all of that horrible sticky felt tape off lol!

Having to revise for accountancy exam on Friday but will check it out. Just had a look at the data for APIM and looks like relevant bit you mentioned is set to 0 instead of 2 so will give that a bash too.

Thanks!

Yeah changing that to a 2 is what turned my optical on. If forscan sees the module then it’s connected fine to the ms-can network, so it’ll be the connection to the apim 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Any progress yet? 

• Like 1

Haven't had chance yet. Wife's birthday Thursday, 3 hour accountancy exam yesterday and today as part of her birthday I've sent my wife and a few of her friends to London to see a west end show so had the kids all day.

Hoping to tinker a bit after bedtime tonight and will post back!

Welp! I've hit a bit of a snagaroo 😕 Got everything in, the system and the controls work but now I'm at the USB Media Hub, I don't know when they changed it but now they require additional power and don't take power directly from the bus! so now I'm at a loss for what to do.  Any of you guys got any thoughts on what I can do for this or what I would require? I've had a quick google but I'm coming up short 😞

Whats even more strange is that the Sync 3 loom I got with the system didn't have the power cable connection on it, or any cable that could use the conversion kit you can get for it.

I've got a couple of other questions too,

The ACM connections you swapped for the TMC (Unsure what that is), what plugs am I looking for and what do they control? are they required? I don't have climate control and I think thats what those connections are for (correct me if Im wrong)

The bluetooth calling feature, it works and people can hear me but audio isn't coming through the Speakers from them, I'm assuming this is related to programming that I haven't done yet? (if I remember rightly its tied to the voice control functionality of the car so I'm pretty sure its down to programming) 

The MS-CAN +/- (Pins 16 and 17) Do I require these since I don't have the GPSM module (Uses a different GPS type which connects VIA Fakra)

I think thats all I need to ask right now, you'll soon know if you get another post from me full of questions haha! 

Weird. By default, USB ports carry 5v. I believe so do SD slots...

Not sure what you're referring to regards ACM and tcm without looking at the chart on Luke's first post, but I think you need to swap wires within those plugs. Or do you mean which plugs are you looking for? Climate control is HVAC so it's not that. I think it's to do with info going between the centre console screen and the dash screen, like nav directions etc.

Luke says that you do need the gpsm for sync 2 but not sure for sync 3. If your nav or emergency assistance doesn't work without it, it's likely that's the cause.

As to bluetooth, I can't really say, bit Luke said that voice control won't work (and presumably audio and bluetooth feedback) until that programming is done (though mine did)!

Good luck! I've a few tweaks to do myself to get it all 100%. I am noticing that Sync 2 is noticeably slower to respond than the sync 3 in my neighbours brand new kuga...

What's involved with going from 2 to 3 I wonder...

Right let’s tackle this! 

TMC is live traffic updates, so when you use navigation it’ll alert you to traffic jams up ahead etc. ACM module is the audio unit ( the bit with the CD player slot ) on the back there are 2 black connectors, one is larger than the other, you remove the 2 wires from the larger one and insert them into the smaller one. This will then transmit the traffic updates to the screen. 

You still need the ms-can connection for sync 3. But you don’t need the gpsm module. The 2 wires should still be in the heating controls even without climate. They are in the blue plug. 

the bluetooth / voice control issue is to do with programming, this held me up for ages until I done the programming changes and then it all worked fine! 

The usb issue - you need to connect 2 cables to the hub for it to work, sync 3 supports 2.1ah charging so the ports are powered and the usb transfers data only. 

Look at these posts which should give you the info for what to connect 

https://www.f150forum.com/attachments/f118/538473d1511662859-current-sync-3-carplay-android-auto-information-airborne-apes-apim-page-insanity.pdf

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31286

• Like 1

Oh and 2 to 3 is just a case of adjusting the wiring for the hub and programming 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 2

I have the 2011 titanium no satnav and I really want this fitted in my car or soemthing similar, could someone recommend somewhere that does it but not at the cost of an arm and a leg? Also how difficult is it to lift the car a bit and also change the exhaust as it faces down and it’s quite low I wanted to have it straight piped on the back. Thank you 

8 minutes ago, Lucianfocus said:

I have the 2011 titanium no satnav and I really want this fitted in my car or soemthing similar, could someone recommend somewhere that does it but not at the cost of an arm and a leg? Also how difficult is it to lift the car a bit and also change the exhaust as it faces down and it’s quite low I wanted to have it straight piped on the back. Thank you 

You will almost definitely not find anyone that will do this mod for you, not unless you live in Norfolk 👍🏻 As for the rest I feel that might be for a different post bud 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m really after changing the face unit I have it’s the standard one, I would like to change it to maybe not the exact one on the post but one with a touch screen and a cleaner look, at the moment the dash I find had a lot going on does anyone know anyone down in Devon who might be able to help at all thank you 

You can always go aftermarket? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Right let’s tackle this! 

TMC is live traffic updates, so when you use navigation it’ll alert you to traffic jams up ahead etc. ACM module is the audio unit ( the bit with the CD player slot ) on the back there are 2 black connectors, one is larger than the other, you remove the 2 wires from the larger one and insert them into the smaller one. This will then transmit the traffic updates to the screen. 

You still need the ms-can connection for sync 3. But you don’t need the gpsm module. The 2 wires should still be in the heating controls even without climate. They are in the blue plug. 

the bluetooth / voice control issue is to do with programming, this held me up for ages until I done the programming changes and then it all worked fine! 

The usb issue - you need to connect 2 cables to the hub for it to work, sync 3 supports 2.1ah charging so the ports are powered and the usb transfers data only. 

Look at these posts which should give you the info for what to connect 

https://www.f150forum.com/attachments/f118/538473d1511662859-current-sync-3-carplay-android-auto-information-airborne-apes-apim-page-insanity.pdf

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31286

In regards to TMC, I have this already working on the Sync 3, she says "caution" over the Speakers for speed cameras, accidents and as far as Im aware traffic too, I think this is due to the GPS connector that Sync 3 uses, so whether I need them or not is still a question, I may do the swap just to see whether anything changes.

The MS-Can connections, you got them from the Blue plug in the fan system? how on earth did you get it up that far!? xD Is there any benefit to them being connected? you mentioned the HVAC connections going there, I assume those are the cables you're referring to?

The calls issue, I thought it would be programming, I can get that done easy!

Any ideas where I can get the power from? I'm pretty sure I can get the 4 pin connector from somewhere :S 

I'll have a gander at the info thanks! 😄

2 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Weird. By default, USB ports carry 5v. I believe so do SD slots...

Not sure what you're referring to regards ACM and tcm without looking at the chart on Luke's first post, but I think you need to swap wires within those plugs. Or do you mean which plugs are you looking for? Climate control is HVAC so it's not that. I think it's to do with info going between the centre console screen and the dash screen, like nav directions etc.

Luke says that you do need the gpsm for sync 2 but not sure for sync 3. If your nav or emergency assistance doesn't work without it, it's likely that's the cause.

As to Bluetooth, I can't really say, bit Luke said that voice control won't work (and presumably audio and Bluetooth feedback) until that programming is done (though mine did)!

Good luck! I've a few tweaks to do myself to get it all 100%. I am noticing that Sync 2 is noticeably slower to respond than the sync 3 in my neighbours brand new kuga...

What's involved with going from 2 to 3 I wonder...

Thats what confused me! USB's are always powered by the bus so it threw me for a second when I found out there was another plug that was required.

Hopefully Luke's advice will help me in regards to the ACM connections on the back of the radio!

Thankfully the GPS and EA is working okay! (as far as Im aware? not found anything missing yet xD)

Yeah Luke has confirmed my suspicions about it being a programming issue.

Haha! I was going for Sync 2 originally but fancied myself CarPlay so I decided to make the jump.  It doesn't seem any different connections wise! So I think you'd have no problem moving from one to the other since I've basically followed Luke's wiring table and everything is working A-OK! well thus far it is anyway haha! might need to investigate further and see if I can find what may or may not be missing!

Gps will give you cameras but traffic should be via rds which comes from the audio module, try swapping them over and see what happens 😂

when I say the hvac controls I mean the control panel for your interior heating /ac so the cable just drops down and connects to the plug it should only be about 30cm away from the apim.

if you look at the links the hub is powered from the apim 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club