Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

9 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Gps will give you cameras but traffic should be via rds which comes from the audio module, try swapping them over and see what happens 😂

when I say the hvac controls I mean the control panel for your interior heating /ac so the cable just drops down and connects to the plug it should only be about 30cm away from the apim.

if you look at the links the hub is powered from the apim 👍🏻👍🏻

That makes sense actually, haven't got anything to lose so I'll give it a shot! see what happens!

That 30cm may seem small but in that confined space, every. millimetre. counts! xD

There.... is a lot of information on those pages, talk about info overload haha! I'll have to read through these fully and see, now I just need to find where I can get the USB connector from so I can power the thing! its proving more difficult than originally anticipated! :S 

They sell it as a pigtail in the states but that’s not much use over here 😂

If you pop the heater control panel off then  you should have loads of room 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

eBay item numbers - 253599749625 or 382366678003 appear to have the plug you need 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luke_Anderson said:

They sell it as a pigtail in the states but that’s not much use over here 😂

If you pop the heater control panel off then  you should have loads of room 👍🏻👍🏻

I saw the pigtail online through someone who'd done it in America! spent ages trying to find one over here to only find out later that they don't sell it here! 🤣🤣🤣 why not Ford! 😭😭😭

eBay item numbers - 253599749625 or 382366678003 appear to have the plug you need 👍🏻

You know, you've gone above and beyond what I'd expect of anyone! thank you for looking those up for me and all the help you've given! I just ordered one of the looms and anticipate an easy finish! (just need to sell the bits I don't need back on!) eagerly looking forward to getting this done! been at it for a good week now what with ordering bits I missed and missing tools xD 

This is the very last task I need to do now, finish up the few wires I've missed, add the hub, program her and keep her Head Unit closed up till I need to add any new features! (OEM Parking sensors and ambient lighting next I think!)  I'll keep you posted on the final outcome! 😃😃😃

• Like 1

Look forward to it! Once funds allow I’m gonna change to sync 3 as well 👍🏻

Ill be honest I’ve had mine done and finished for a few weeks now and it really does change the whole feel of the car, best thing I’ve done to it by far! 

• Like 2

Seconded on Luke's helpfulness!

I know we're getting a bit crowded on the sticky front, but it'd be good if this thread was saved for posterity due to the amount of effort Luke has gone to in researching this and also helping others achieve it. I'm sure there will be plenty of others who would attempt this, given the amount of guidance there is now available!

Just to be sure, I'm just gonna go through and like every one of Luke's posts in this thread!

Edit: ok all liked. @luke: sorry about the 50+ notifications lol! @mods: im not taking the ***** here, it's just representative of my appreciation for his efforts and the recognition I feel he deserves!

🙂

• Like 1

Ahhh thanks guys your making me blush 😂 to be honest when it’s as straight forward as it is I’m surprised it hadn’t been done before! It’s such a worthwhile mod 👍🏻👍🏻

I am now 100% functional!!

My gpsm issue was that the scotchlocks I used weren't biting through the sheathing of the wire so wasn't conducting. I just cut and y-spliced them with some heat shrink instead. Came up straight away. 

Also got park pilot working, thanks Luke, it was that bit needing changing.

All I'm left with now are two error codes in forscan, one for the bcm (missing lock led) and one for the ACM (incompatible configuration). These are known so all good!

Now I have a couple more questions:

Is there a way to have the audio (radio, USB etc) slightly mute when park pilot is beeping? Sync 1 used to and it's quiet compared to the volume of my stereo, which isn't deafening.

Also, I'd just updated to the latest version of sync 1.1 which allows a long press of the voice button to directly activate siri/Google. Sync 2 doesn't seem to do this, so is there a way? I'm not sure if it's on the latest firmware though...

I'm thinking of fitting a reversing camera soon. I don't really need one (nor the sensors, come to that) but I like gadgetry. Do I understand correctly that I just need to send the video feed into the pins in the main sync loom as per the spreadsheet Luke provided? I know the back of my unit does not have a four pin fakra connector like my sync 1 did.

Finally, and starting to get a little off topic here, how much of the parking or lane alert/blis gizmos can be added to my car, which has reverse sensors only?

16 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

I am now 100% functional!!

My gpsm issue was that the scotchlocks I used weren't biting through the sheathing of the wire so wasn't conducting. I just cut and y-spliced them with some heat shrink instead. Came up straight away. 

Also got park pilot working, thanks Luke, it was that bit needing changing.

All I'm left with now are two error codes in forscan, one for the bcm (missing lock led) and one for the ACM (incompatible configuration). These are known so all good!

Now I have a couple more questions:

Is there a way to have the audio (radio, USB etc) slightly mute when park pilot is beeping? Sync 1 used to and it's quiet compared to the volume of my stereo, which isn't deafening.

Also, I'd just updated to the latest version of sync 1.1 which allows a long press of the voice button to directly activate siri/Google. Sync 2 doesn't seem to do this, so is there a way? I'm not sure if it's on the latest firmware though...

I'm thinking of fitting a reversing camera soon. I don't really need one (nor the sensors, come to that) but I like gadgetry. Do I understand correctly that I just need to send the video feed into the pins in the main sync loom as per the spreadsheet Luke provided? I know the back of my unit does not have a four pin fakra connector like my sync 1 did.

Finally, and starting to get a little off topic here, how much of the parking or lane alert/blis gizmos can be added to my car, which has reverse sensors only?

Great new's mate

Hope you can add to Luke's great how to with all the questions you asked 🙂 as i'm sure other will do this as now is the time to get this done a with people knowing it can be fitted the prices are going to go up on these second hand 

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

Great new's mate

Hope you can add to Luke's great how to with all the questions you asked 🙂 as i'm sure other will do this as now is the time to get this done a with people knowing it can be fitted the prices are going to go up on these second hand 

I'll do my best, but really Luke has done all the hard work and I wouldn't want to take his credit. 

Probably both sync 2 and 3 will go up, as most people who would be prepared to do the legwork on upgrading from 1 to 2 would be happy to take the relatively small step of 2 to 3...

Mine has always muted when the park pilot is on, I would try updating the software, my advice is only go to version 3.08 using this guide - 

don’t go to 3.10 as it isn’t an official ford release and is a hacked version. This is what I think may have caused the reboots on the first sync 2 I installed. 

This update also gives you Siri with a long press of the voice button 👍🏻

Adding the camera is as easy as you say 👍🏻 If you use Ford parts you can essentially programme anything into the car so you can go as far as you like with the gizmos. I will say this though, I have active park assist and I’ve used it about 3 times in 6 months, the novelty soon wears off! 😂

• Haha 1

Oh and feel free to add away, there was loads I missed in the guide and at some point I may go back and update it but don’t worry about taking my credit as you say, I put it up there to help people and the more people that help the easier it will be for people thinking of doing it 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Ok, I've put up a guide on my build thread.  It covers more of the dismantling with some photos, but refers back to your thread for the docs and the programming.

Hope this is ok.

22 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

I'll do my best, but really Luke has done all the hard work and I wouldn't want to take his credit. 

Probably both sync 2 and 3 will go up, as most people who would be prepared to do the legwork on upgrading from 1 to 2 would be happy to take the relatively small step of 2 to 3...

I can say the effort between Sync 2 and 3 has been non existent, it follows the same changes wiring wise as Sync 2, the only difference that I can see really is the GPS being a different module.  If you can, make the jump! its definitely been the best thing I've done to the car!  plus.... CarPlay/Android Auto is rather cool!

Luke has done the world a service and deserves this to be stickied! by trade I'm a computer engineer and for me this guide made this the easiest thing I've ever done! and I feel like I understand the car and some of its inner workings so much better now! heck even my dad managed to understand it and help me with parts I needed a second pair of hands for and thats saying something!! 🤣🤣🤣

Absolute legend amongst legends I think! he solved my only gripe with my car in one nice, easy to follow guide!

Although @Luke_Anderson you should definitely title this Sync 2/3 since it does both! the only difference being the GPS which can be mounted under the dash and the power pins for the CarPlay USB hub ( Pin 8 in APIM to pin 1 in USB and Pin 38 in APIM to pin 4 in USB)! add that in and you've basically covered both systems!! 😃😃😃  where was this guide when I was looking at that gorgeous Titanium X with Sync 1, totally would have gone for that one had this guide existed earlier! 🤣

• Thanks 1

Thanks again guys! I’ve just bagged a sync 3 system from a c max for £150 so hopefully I’ll be up and running on that soon! Just need the part number for the CarPlay usb hub! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Ok, I've put up a guide on my build thread.  It covers more of the dismantling with some photos, but refers back to your thread for the docs and the programming.

Hope this is ok.

More than okay! It’s a fantastic write up! 

Thanks again guys! I’ve just bagged a sync 3 system from a c max for £150 so hopefully I’ll be up and running on that soon! Just need the part number for the CarPlay usb hub! 

But I've just got.... gawwwhh.

Dammit, you're all leaving me behind now!

This is gonna take some explaining to the wife. 

"You know all that money and time I spent buggering around with the cars stereo? Weeeeeeeeeelllllllll..."

Alright. Whaddo I need that's different?

FCDIM, APIM and ACM and hub?

Oh and fascia I guess. Ahhhh I just remembered the CD slot is in a really weird looking place on sync 3. Hmm...

😐

Nahhhhh, apim and screen and hub if you want CarPlay to work 👍🏻👍🏻 

To be honest I got lucky, guy didn’t know what he was selling, it is a risk though as he said he didn’t think it has nav but according to etis it does so I guess we’ll see when it turns up 😂 i only done it because it was cheap and selling the left over bits will more than cover the cost 👍🏻

Fascias should be the same, I hope they are anyway 😂

12 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Nahhhhh, apim and screen and hub if you want CarPlay to work 👍🏻👍🏻 

To be honest I got lucky, guy didn’t know what he was selling, it is a risk though as he said he didn’t think it has nav but according to etis it does so I guess we’ll see when it turns up 😂 i only done it because it was cheap and selling the left over bits will more than cover the cost 👍🏻

What, so you don't have to have the CD player above the screen? Because to be honest it looks ridiculous to me...

I don't have an iPhone so not bothered about carplay...

Definitely not! I’ve gotta hope that I can swap the brackets over to mount mine! Otherwise it ain’t going in 😂 I bought it on a whim after a couple of beers, hopefully I’ll be able to adapt it and hopefully it has nav 😂

11 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Fascias should be the same, I hope they are anyway 😂

Definitely not! I’ve gotta hope that I can swap the brackets over to mount mine! Otherwise it ain’t going in 😂 I bought it on a whim after a couple of beers, hopefully I’ll be able to adapt it and hopefully it has nav 😂

Facias are definitely the same! don't worry about that! as are the brackets! also if it doesn't have NAV from what I've found about Sync 3 systems, plug in the GPS antennae and you should be able to program it in!  Only going off what a friend of mine said who's worked on the Sync 3 systems and haven't tested it since I bought one with it in.

3 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

What, so you don't have to have the CD player above the screen? Because to be honest it looks ridiculous to me...

I don't have an iPhone so not bothered about carplay...

Your CD player is above your screen!? what? 😂😂😂 that sounds ridiculous! who designed that xD

8 hours ago, skullyi said:

Facias are definitely the same! don't worry about that! as are the brackets! also if it doesn't have NAV from what I've found about Sync 3 systems, plug in the GPS antennae and you should be able to program it in!  Only going off what a friend of mine said who's worked on the Sync 3 systems and haven't tested it since I bought one with it in.

Your CD player is above your screen!? what? 😂😂😂 that sounds ridiculous! who designed that xD

The 16 year old lad on work experience designed it, now that Ford has a full on spanner heading up Ford USA it's his latest big idea to cut costs (besides only making trucks and Mustangs). :withstupid:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skullyi said:

No but what I'd seen of sync 3 systems the cd slot is above the screen.  It's that way on my mates kuga. 

Blech...

Just now, Phil21185 said:

No but what I'd seen of sync 3 systems the cd slot is above the screen.  It's that way on my mates kuga. 

Blech...

CD slot location varies by model regardless of Sync version.

The new Mk8 Fiesta the CD slot is optional and gets fitted in the glove box.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club