Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuck Oil Filler Cap

BigKen65
聽Share

The oil filler cap on my 2013 Focus TDi is stuck only moving slightly in either direction, is there a knack to taking it off or will it need replaced?

twist and pull up聽馃榿

Yeah tried that, local garage tells me its common on these engines but I'm never convinced by Fast-fits pretending to be mechanics, its moving just a few mm right and left. Tried pushing down as I twist but wont budge.聽聽As its first time for me changing oil on this car wondered if there was a strange ritual that had to be performed with one leg in the air etc.

strange it`s not comeing off for you then. guess your local garage tried it aswell then and had no luck ? how long have you had the car for?

Just over a year, only had it open once and it opened easily. It will be my weekend project thanks for your comments.聽

Try it with a warm engine, the heat should help expand it slightly and make it easier.

What you can to is bunch a teatowel long ways and loop it round the cap if you can. Collect the ends and twist them until it grips tightly on the cap, then use the teatowel as a wrench.

I've done this a couple of times and works best when the cap has finger grips.聽

• 2 weeks later...

If you get the cap off or if/when you buy a new one smear some silicon grease around the seals on the cap and on the internal neck of the water tank and it鈥檒l never seize up again. Don鈥檛 ask ford for the grease as it鈥檒l cost an arm and a leg, get some from a shop like maplins for about 拢5 馃憤馃徏

13 hours ago, Russ said:

If you get the cap off or if/when you buy a new one smear some silicon grease around the seals on the cap and on the internal neck of the water tank and it鈥檒l never seize up again. Don鈥檛 ask ford for the grease as it鈥檒l cost an arm and a leg, get some from a shop like maplins for about 拢5 馃憤馃徏

Well, while Maplins is still open anyway...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club