Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with tyres and LPMS

ElaineML

Hi,  Got 2015 Ford Focus Zetec, still under warranty.  Always had a  few issues with the tyres since I purchased it, losing pressure in two of them .  Got two new ones fitted two weeks ago, next day, LPMS comes up with warning, checked tyres one low again 24.  Took it back to fitters, they said faulty/damaged valve.  Took it into my local Ford, they said damaged valve, not covered under warranty, no alternative but to get a new one fitted.  Four days later, warning coming on again, checked tyre pressure and down to 24 again.  At a loss to know what to do, never had these problems with other Fords I have owned.  Don't like the way they say not covered by warranty. Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Elaine.

Was it just he same wheel, could be a damaged or corroded alloy. Also worth checking your tyre pressure with a proper gauge.

• Like 1

as above but check the edge of the rim sounds like it needs cleaning and getting the crap of it , also check the wheel for cracks in it  ,if you have a paddling pool!  put the whole inflated wheel in to it  you should be able to see where the leak is coming from and solve the issue once and for all , Argos   do cheap paddling pools   other shops available  🙂

• Like 2

When it was taken back to the place that fitted the tyres, they did what you suggest and said it was a faulty valve.  Took it back to Ford, they said damaged valve and replaced it £57.00.  (not faulty valve, but damaged valve) but here I am still with the same problem.  I have read other cases where it has been covered under warranty, are Ford selective with their customers?

To be honest, it's almost worth removing the pressure monitoring valves, turning off tpms and enabling DDS with some simple software.

Not hard to do, plenty of people here happy to talk you through it but you would need an ELM327 cable (around £20 from tunnelrat I think and useful for a lot more things, eg reading error codes instead of the garage charging you £60 to do it).

Basically a very similar system, but DDS uses the abs sensors in the wheels to detect when one is spinning faster than the others - ie it has a smaller diameter.

Would tell you when you have a tyre going flat but just won't tell you which one.

Saves having to replace the valves at £60 when a careless mech damages them when you get new tyres...

Obviously this doesn't fix the fact that your tyre appears to be actually leaking...

• Like 1

so you got two tyres fitted last week, were both rubber valves changed then? if not why not? 

damaged tyre valves wont be covered under any warranty. 

Yes ok I get that, but surely replacement one done by Ford should not still be losing air. New tyre, new valve, the car had only done 16,000 miles when I got it in January, been a problem since I got it, hence the new tyres hoping to sort it.

your right , they shouldnt be. theres no logical reason it can still be the valves. its just a rubber valve. nothing special about them . also you shouldnt be suffering corrosion this early in life of the rim of the wheel so can disount that also.sounds like a porous alloy wheel to me . wheels and tyres are not rocket science, surely your dealer or tyre supplier should be able to find and fix your leak where ever its coming from. 

• Like 1

are your wheels standard from new? only thing i havent mentioned is your type of tyre valve, i assumed they are rubber ones. nearly all are but some wheels come with metal valves. theses metal ones can cause issues 

Yes the wheels are standard from new. Managed to get it in this morning where I bought it from, so I hope they can resolve it once and for all.  Ford / Wolverhampton who did the new valve last week could not fit me in until 10th July,  to take another look at it - did not fancy driving round for that long on potentially dangerous tyre/s.  Hope it gets sorted today.  Newest car I have ever owned, and caused me most problems so far.  My old Focus 2003 still going strong.

Quick update, Ford replaced the valve that was put on last week, said it was faulty, hope this is it once and for all.

• 4 weeks later...

Well sad to say a couple of weeks down the line, same old problem, warning light coming on and tyre pressure going down, I would love to know if this is just me that has this problem or if anyone else has, can't find much about it.

Could be the wheel itself leaking.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club