Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPMS Sensors not detected

andrew64

Hi all i drive a 14 plate ford fiesta and im getting message on my display screen saying tyre sensors not detected check handbook and a warning light. Ive reset the pressures in the vehicle settings as advised i can drive 5 miles with no problem then the message and light come back on. Any ideas guys 

8 hours ago, Amanda w said:

Hi had tyres our on few months back

Quite possible the sensor has got damaged or was fitted incorrectly when the tyres were replaced unfortunately.  I believe a hard impact on the sidewall in the right place (like hitting a kerb) is also enough to damage one (had this happen to a relative who had to swerve to avoid an oncoming car which crossed into their lane).

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, andrew64 said:

Just to give you an update.

Took it in to Kwik-fit this morning they did the diagnostics for free. Turns out it was the rear offside valve sensor they reckon the battery in it was flat, sensor looked perfect to me. Replaced and all seems OK at the moment. I'm glad I didn't go to the main Ford dealer in Inverness and get ripped off.

How much did they charge

• 4 years later...
On 7/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, andrew64 said:

Just to give you an update.

Took it in to Kwik-fit this morning they did the diagnostics for free. Turns out it was the rear offside valve sensor they reckon the battery in it was flat, sensor looked perfect to me. Replaced and all seems OK at the moment. I'm glad I didn't go to the main Ford dealer in Inverness and get ripped off.

Hey I’m having the same problem. All my batteries are dead and they say it’s £150 per battery to replace!?!? How much did yours cost to change / replace battery including all the labour etc

3 hours ago, James000000001 said:

Hey I’m having the same problem. All my batteries are dead and they say it’s £150 per battery to replace!?!? How much did yours cost to change / replace battery including all the labour etc

Are you sure that's not for all 4?  They're about £30 each from Ford.  Then labour is likely to be around £10 a wheel.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:47 PM, James000000001 said:

Hi

I got charged £110 for the set when I had to change mine if this helps (Pye Motors, Morecambe Main Dealer)

Thanks

The day after I bought my 16 plate Fiesta in July, I got the warning. I took it to a tyre fitter who told me that three of the four were dead. They didn't sell sensors so they weren't trying it on - and I had to buy some elsewhere. The official Ford website were out of stock (at about £26 each) and I couldn't find them for sale anywhere until I checked eBay and found sets of four for around £24. They looked identical to Ford ones and when I looked into identifying fakes, they were either very good copies (I used a printer's linen tester because some of the details were so small) or they were grey imports - genuine Ford parts intended for a foreign market. The tyre place fitted them for £15 per tyre.

Anyway, despite the amount I have read up and watched on TPMS, much of it is still shrouded in mystery. Why, for example, does the system not say which tyre is flat? It knows which tyre is which when they are activated - you have to go around the car activating each one as the display indicates. I have wondered whether the solar sensor kits you can buy from China might recognise the sensors- they are all on the same frequency, 433.92MHz but other than that, I don't know how they communicate.

3 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

Me? Yes.

I thought you might be 😉

You need to get the iPhone version of FORScan (£7) and a vLinker FD+ dongle and then you will be able to read all the DTC's (if there are any) and of course everything to do with the TPMS including which wheel(s) have faulty sensors.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

vLinker FD+ dongle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H8JHWP2

I have the PC version of Forscan and vLinker USB but that would require hooking everything up and running the application - so would the iPhone version to a lesser extent. Not very convenient when driving and getting a low tyre pressure warning - I was thinking more of the £12-ish solar powered devices which come with sensors (not that I would am thinking of using the included sensors). I was wondering if they would detect the Ford sensors as they are on the same frequency (433.92MHz) but I don't know if the protocols are compatible.

On 11/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, unofix said:

I thought you might be 😉

You need to get the iPhone version of FORScan (£7) and a vLinker FD+ dongle and then you will be able to read all the DTC's (if there are any) and of course everything to do with the TPMS including which wheel(s) have faulty sensors.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

vLinker FD+ dongle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H8JHWP2

Would the dtc system store the info to tell which one is faulty ? Or does it require using Forscan whilst driving to see live data which one is failing ? 
cheers 

1 hour ago, noste500 said:

store the info to tell which one is faulty ?

There should be a log of what triggered the DTC stored. On some models I believe you can use FORScan and it will give you information of the battery condition for each sensor. Next time I connect to mine I must take a look and see what info it has about the Focus Mk4 TPMS.

• Like 1

Right lads , first question from me . I put forscan on my laptop ,  I also bought a tpms teaching device off eBay , I've narrowed it down to passenger side rear . My sensors are the type with rubber valve attached.  I need advice on do I just fit a new sensor and go through the reteach process via the dash board using my eBay gizmo, and the new sensor will be logged to the ECU .  Kwik fit want £85 lol. 

Screenshot_20231030-192627.thumb.png.01c46881adf2b368a340be9c84ec8ec3.png

6 hours ago, onefortheroad said:

Right lads , first question from me . I put forscan on my laptop ,  I also bought a tpms teaching device off eBay , I've narrowed it down to passenger side rear . My sensors are the type with rubber valve attached.  I need advice on do I just fit a new sensor and go through the reteach process via the dash board using my eBay gizmo, and the new sensor will be logged to the ECU .  Kwik fit want £85 lol. 

Screenshot_20231030-192627.thumb.png.01c46881adf2b368a340be9c84ec8ec3.png

I had all of mine changed and had an argument with young a know-all at the tyre place about this (much to the embarrassment of his colleagues). He claimed that the sensors would just be detected automatically but even though I'd never done it before, I had watched enough YouTube videos to know better.

Anyway, even if you only change one, you will have to re-teach the others too as the process does not facilitate individual sensors- you have to enter teaching mode, as per the video below, then activate each sensor as indicated by the car's display. You can't jump to the sensor you have just changed.

I should point out that that is not my video and that I have the kind of training tool that you have. I bought one like the guy in the video has but it didn't work.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tangerine said:

I had all of mine changed and had an argument with young a know-all at the tyre place about this (much to the embarrassment of his colleagues). He claimed that the sensors would just be detected automatically but even though I'd never done it before, I had watched enough YouTube videos to know better.

Anyway, even if you only change one, you will have to re-teach the others too as the process does not facilitate individual sensors- you have to enter teaching mode, as per the video below, then activate each sensor as indicated by the car's display. You can't jump to the sensor you have just changed.

I should point out that that is not my video and that I have the kind of training tool that you have. I bought one like the guy in the video has but it didn't work.

I'll get a sensor put in and follow the wheels around in order , it's that easy apparantly.  This guy in the video must have his wheels and sensors tagged for location. 😅😅

On 11/17/2023 at 9:51 PM, onefortheroad said:

I'll get a sensor put in and follow the wheels around in order , it's that easy apparantly.  This guy in the video must have his wheels and sensors tagged for location. 😅😅

I posted the video just to show you how to put the car in learning mode. From there, you can see on the car's display which sensor to activate. The bloke in the video had it in his hand so when the display asked for the first sensor activation (front driver's side, I think), he just activated the one he had. The car doesn't actually 'know' the location - it's up to you to activate the correct sensor when asked to do so.

7 hours ago, Tangerine said:

I posted the video just to show you how to put the car in learning mode. From there, you can see on the car's display which sensor to activate. The bloke in the video had it in his hand so when the display asked for the first sensor activation (front driver's side, I think), he just activated the one he had. The car doesn't actually 'know' the location - it's up to you to activate the correct sensor when asked to do so.

Yeah I know . Thanks .  That's how I found my duff sensor .  I've used forscan for now and disabled the tpms system until I get a sensor sorted out.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Previous post was a response to a confusing notification e-mail which makes my post look out of place and now that I realise, I can't delete it. Sorry if it confuses anybody else.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, Bobr said:

I don't understand why the car would fail its MOT if the tyre pressures were all correct.

Hi! I Don't think they'd fail on the actual tyre pressures, it's the warning on the dash that will fail the MOT, I had that on my Fusion (engine management light)& it failed, twice!  

On 11/10/2023 at 4:47 PM, James000000001 said:

This is what mine's doing too, reading through the thread, I'm now assuming that the drivers rear tyre sensor is the 1 that's not happy  as that's the only tyre that's not needed replacing since I got the car, do tyre fitters just change over sensors or use new ones with the new valves, does anyone know? 

20 hours ago, jooulez said:

This is what mine's doing too, reading through the thread, I'm now assuming that the drivers rear tyre sensor is the 1 that's not happy  as that's the only tyre that's not needed replacing since I got the car, do tyre fitters just change over sensors or use new ones with the new valves, does anyone know? 

The sensors are not replaced at tyre fitting unless you've specifically paid extra for that.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club