Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Not Starting - Dead Battery? (Video)

Incontro

Hi guys,

Went to my parked Focus Mk2 (Petrol, 1.6) after roughly a week of not using it at all, and realised it's not starting.

First thought was dead battery (not sure how old the current battery is, at least 4/5 years, it's a Ford branded one), as the starter seems to be rapid clicking, but not cranking.

Pretty sure it's the case, just wanted to get others views before I go out and buy a new battery.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/zSj8oHBhKYs

1 hour ago, Incontro said:

First thought was dead battery (not sure how old the current battery is, at least 4/5 years, it's a Ford branded one), as the starter seems to be rapid clicking, but not cranking.

The voltage is dropping, as all the dash lights go out when trying to start. From the age of the battery, dead battery is most likely. Try the headlight test (see how long before they go dim, ign on, engine off.)

Other possibilities are:

Something has drained all the charge from the battery. You could try charging it, but if it has been discharged for more than a few hours, then at 4-5 years old, that is likely to have killed the battery anyway.

Bad connection, power or earth. A voltmeter test on the battery terminals with headlights on would check this.

But it is 80% likely that a new battery will cure it.

• Like 2

Dead battery...but I would disagree with Peter in this case, it probably will charge ok.  While my Focus was left standing for sale the battery died twice, giving the same symptoms as yours.  Both times a charge revived it and it's still fine now, battery is 8 years old. :smile: 

• Like 1

I agree with Tom, definitely worth trying a charge before you condemn it.

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming guys!!

Decision was made to purchase a new battery, no longer want to take chances with an 8 year old battery, as I dont want to risk being stranded again.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club