Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrade maps to 2017 F7 & F8 versions

KugaEdge

Yay, just updated to F8, and the Norwich NDR is now on there, which is great!

Update took 35 mins for the first part, then another 50 mins for the 2nd.  All seems to have gone smoothly.

Did it generate xml file to upload to Ford site.??

23 hours ago, SgtAWilson said:

Yay, just updated to F8, and the Norwich NDR is now on there, which is great!

Update took 35 mins for the first part, then another 50 mins for the 2nd.  All seems to have gone smoothly.

Interesting you got Version F8 as the latest one usually available is F7.

F8 is not even 'out there' yet. Did you specifically ask for it or was just by chance?

H

@eddiek No, it doesnt produce a log file, as the package doesnt include the file which produces one.

@Hamster If you look on the German and Polish forums (http://mondeo-mk5.de/forum/index.php?thread/2781-kartenupdate-f8-für-sync3-v3-0/) using Google Translate you can see links for the necessary package.  Also I note some people on here are also being shown that the new map files are available.

Ah right, that's OK then..........

Now, I'm never one to shy away from an illicitly gained piece of cool software but, a Ford Sync3 map update, via a German\Polish Forum, from a Russian download site has got to be risky. Don't forget that you are updating a £37k car with a file that started its life in Russia.

The Northern Norwich bypass you speak of is probably the one near Vladivostok.

H

Its also probably contains software to hack into the Huawei 5g mobile network so that the chinese can track you too! 😉

Seriously though, the other websites contain VIN numbers for ford vehicles that you can use on the Ford Sync3 website to download properly, so didnt see any issues with that.

Also just checked my own VIN number on the Uk Ford Sync3 update page, and its showing a 25Gb map update, so the F8s are officially out for Sync 3 version 3.0.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 12:31 PM, DavesEdge said:

Hi All

Am I right in thinking that this update is only for vehicles with Sync 3.

Meaning that those of us with Sync 2 (myself included) are unable to update to latest version of maps?

Happy motoring

Dave

On 1/26/2019 at 2:45 PM, Trent Edge said:

You can update, but just need to buy the SD card. I found one on eBay for £25.

I can only see F7 cards for sale, no F8 ones yet.

I updated my Sync3 a while back but the check file wouldn't upload and now if I want the latest maps I can't access the link.

Anyone got the definitive version of the map update without any check files, faffing or file restructuring needed?

I just want to bang the map data onto a stick and crack on.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:47 AM, kelvin1950 said:

I can only see F7 cards for sale, no F8 ones yet.

Yeh, I couldn't find F8, from the search I did, F7 was applicable for 2018-2019 I think. Maybe Sync3 is numbered differently.

Because I didn't get a log file on my last update (Voice), it took 2 weeks for the website to give up and just say "Please try again later". This morning I have another update (just JR3T-14G423-AA to JR3T-14G423-AB (Gracenotes)). Updated successfully, still no Bl**dy log file though, website still offers me the same update ... looks like another 2 week wait whilst Ford get fed up of waiting for confirmation!!!

<Ahhhhhrrrg>WHAT AN UTTER CR*P SOFTWARE UPDATE PROCESS. </Ahhhhhrrrg>

I downloaded the latest update, which took 4 hours to download at my connection speed, then extracted the files which took another 2 hours, then when I tried to update the car it got to about 10 seconds in where it told me it had failed and I should download again.  Now whenever I switch on, the car tells me an update is in progress and certain features are disabled.  I’ll try again when I can find the time and inclination. 

Oh, that's not good. Try a Master Reset.

H

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Because I didn't get a log file on my last update (Voice), it took 2 weeks for the website to give up and just say "Please try again later". This morning I have another update (just JR3T-14G423-AA to JR3T-14G423-AB (Gracenotes)). Updated successfully, still no Bl**dy log file though, website still offers me the same update ... looks like another 2 week wait whilst Ford get fed up of waiting for confirmation!!!

<Ahhhhhrrrg>WHAT AN UTTER CR*P SOFTWARE UPDATE PROCESS. </Ahhhhhrrrg>

Simon  i`m in exactly same position with mine.  No log file last time either.  Went on Ford site today and was needing another update same as yours .  This time its only 1 file  JR3T-14G423-AB.tar   in Sync My Ride folder  and an autoinstall LST file that appears after unzipping.   No DONTINDX.MSA  file this time.   Gonna try updating anyway and see what happens.       I have been checking for updates over wifi  but it never seems to get anywhere but maybe it has. 

21 hours ago, eddiek said:

Simon  i`m in exactly same position with mine.  No log file last time either.  Went on Ford site today and was needing another update same as yours .  This time its only 1 file  JR3T-14G423-AB.tar   in Sync My Ride folder  and an autoinstall LST file that appears after unzipping.   No DONTINDX.MSA  file this time.   Gonna try updating anyway and see what happens.       I have been checking for updates over wifi  but it never seems to get anywhere but maybe it has. 

Tried the update and  same here Simon.   No log file either again and update went so quick could hardly see what happened.  ??

21 hours ago, eddiek said:

The thing that's annoying about the whole process is the fact the instructions provided on the website page have so many inconsistencies and contradictions ...

1) Unzip the files onto your USB stick, instructions mention DONTINDX.MSA, but all the zips I've downloaded so far, DON'T contain it!

2) DON'T REMOVE the USB stick after install, but the screen on the complete popup on sync3 says REMOVE the USB stick!

3) A log file will be written ... NO IT DOESN'T! even if you leave the USB stick in for a couple of days!

4) In the FAQ's in the instructions it says, if the log file isn't created. Download the log file tool (link on the troubleshooting section  of the website) ... NO THERE ISN'T, No troubleshooting section and no link to download any tools or utilities !!!

5) Call Ford .. they say talk to your dealer, Talk to your dealer, they don't know what to do or what's wrong, we'll have to talk to Ford!!

WHAT A COMPLETE MESS!! ... and that's the views of an ex Automotive/Construction based electronics and firmware engineer. If this had left my dept, someone would be out of a job by now! 

41 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

The thing that's annoying about the whole process is the fact the instructions provided on the website page have so many inconsistencies and contradictions ...

1) Unzip the files onto your USB stick, instructions mention DONTINDX.MSA, but all the zips I've downloaded so far, DON'T contain it!

2) DON'T REMOVE the USB stick after install, but the screen on the complete popup on sync3 says REMOVE the USB stick!

3) A log file will be written ... NO IT DOESN'T! even if you leave the USB stick in for a couple of days!

4) In the FAQ's in the instructions it says, if the log file isn't created. Download the log file tool (link on the troubleshooting section  of the website) ... NO THERE ISN'T, No troubleshooting section and no link to download any tools or utilities !!!

5) Call Ford .. they say talk to your dealer, Talk to your dealer, they don't know what to do or what's wrong, we'll have to talk to Ford!!

WHAT A COMPLETE MESS!! ... and that's the views of an ex Automotive/Construction based electronics and firmware engineer. If this had left my dept, someone would be out of a job by now! 

Couldn`t agree more Simon.  These are £40,000 + vehicles and we shouldn`t need to mess about like this getting so called updates.   

1 hour ago, eddiek said:

Couldn`t agree more Simon.  These are £40,000 + vehicles and we shouldn`t need to mess about like this getting so called updates.   

I know why companies usually hate customers doing things like updates for fear of the backlash when it goes wrong, or the unpredictability of what could happen to the product. But if you are going to let them do it, make sure its absolutely bomb/idiot proof and 100% reliable. The sad thing is, that I know the process involved in developing, testing and releasing firmware, but this is so fundamentally wrong and disjointed it beggars belief!

Rant over ... until the next update 😉

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

I know why companies usually hate customers doing things like updates for fear of the backlash when it goes wrong, or the unpredictability of what could happen to the product. But if you are going to let them do it, make sure its absolutely bomb/idiot proof and 100% reliable. The sad thing is, that I know the process involved in developing, testing and releasing firmware, but this is so fundamentally wrong and disjointed it beggars belief!

Rant over ... until the next update 😉

Also, get a more reliable hosting server!! with better connection speeds...

• Like 1

Have to agree as well that it is simply a poorly implemented process, worsened considerably by inept customer support who pass you around or give simply incorrect advice (my favourite being that I was invited by my main dealer to buy an F7 maps SD card because Ford don't offer online updates)

Just in case others find their way here via google as I did, here's some pointers for what finally got me into 'no updates required' nirvana! Not my ideas but a summary of what I picked up online from others which got me there in the end.

1. If at all possible prepare your USB stick on a windows PC. It is possible to do in macOS but not 'out of the box' so this simplifies the process and eliminates one possible cause of issues. 
  2. Make sure to format your USB stick to exFAT (it may not be in that format when you buy it) which is different from FAT16 or FAT32. Formatting also ensures it is 'clean'. The process does not like extra files or directories.
  3. If your USB is not recognised by the car after 20 minutes, try a different one. it seems to prefer older USB2 sticks to USB3 but can be picky generally
  4. Ignore any and all messages about 'you can remove your USB stick' until at least the third time you've run the car with the USB in place.
  5. If as is likely you don't get a log file to upload, it seems if you use the check for updates function from the sync 3 system itself via wifi (ie in the car, not on your computer) then after a while it updates the distribution server. I found it easiest to enable mobile hotspot on my phone and connect to that wifi network from my car. Then go into the sync 3 automatic updates settings and press the check for updates button. It takes a while to do this with the spinning circles thing but when that stops the timestamp of last check should update. If not, or it says incomplete, repeat. It took me up to 4 goes for it to run to success. However once it does then 24-48 hours later it seems to get around to updating at their server end which then when you check from your computer offers a new set of files to complete the install, or says you are done!

I also found that last point was what got me out of a cycle of update errors after a family member read and believed the message in point 4 above. My next step would have been a system reset but checking for updates from the car and waiting sorted it out.

That's what worked for me anyway after multiple cycles. As an aside, while I share the frustration about a really poorly implemented process I am reluctant to sound off too much about it if the alternative is that they stop offering map updates to customers and we revert to the situation I had until last week of navigating with maps only a couple of months shy of five years old. But it ultimately isn't good enough and as simonb65 says below his list, basic lack of attention of the sort of issues he listed would not be tolerated at my place of work either.

• Like 2

Hi All

Further to my earlier comments, I ordered an F7 upgrade sd card off eBay for just over £21 late January

The eBay seller emailed me shortly after my order, saying that delivery has been delayed and offered 50% discount plus goods ordered, of which I have accepted.

He then further emailed me saying that royal mail have lost his order, so has now offered me a full refund, and will supply sd card for free when he gets them, eta 22/2/19

So I have now accepted his latest offer.

Whilst I am slightly suspicious and skeptical of this offer, he does have a good eBay seller rating, so I am taking this at face value.

If I start getting mucked about too much, I shall use the paypal promise regarding undelivered goods, if I do not get a full refund.

Happy motoring

Dave

On 2/9/2019 at 1:42 PM, DavesEdge said:

He then further emailed me saying that royal mail have lost his order, so has now offered me a full refund, and will supply sd card for free when he gets them, eta 22/2/19

So I have now accepted his latest offer.

Hi All

I have now received refund with further email confirming goods will be sent when he gets them.

Happy motoring

Dave

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, KJB1969 said:

Have to agree as well that it is simply a poorly implemented process, worsened considerably by inept customer support who pass you around or give simply incorrect advice (my favourite being that I was invited by my main dealer to buy an F7 maps SD card because Ford don't offer online updates)

Just in case others find their way here via google as I did, here's some pointers for what finally got me into 'no updates required' nirvana! Not my ideas but a summary of what I picked up online from others which got me there in the end.

1. If at all possible prepare your USB stick on a windows PC. It is possible to do in macOS but not 'out of the box' so this simplifies the process and eliminates one possible cause of issues. 
  2. Make sure to format your USB stick to exFAT (it may not be in that format when you buy it) which is different from FAT16 or FAT32. Formatting also ensures it is 'clean'. The process does not like extra files or directories.
  3. If your USB is not recognised by the car after 20 minutes, try a different one. it seems to prefer older USB2 sticks to USB3 but can be picky generally
  4. Ignore any and all messages about 'you can remove your USB stick' until at least the third time you've run the car with the USB in place.
  5. If as is likely you don't get a log file to upload, it seems if you use the check for updates function from the sync 3 system itself via wifi (ie in the car, not on your computer) then after a while it updates the distribution server. I found it easiest to enable mobile hotspot on my phone and connect to that wifi network from my car. Then go into the sync 3 automatic updates settings and press the check for updates button. It takes a while to do this with the spinning circles thing but when that stops the timestamp of last check should update. If not, or it says incomplete, repeat. It took me up to 4 goes for it to run to success. However once it does then 24-48 hours later it seems to get around to updating at their server end which then when you check from your computer offers a new set of files to complete the install, or says you are done!

I also found that last point was what got me out of a cycle of update errors after a family member read and believed the message in point 4 above. My next step would have been a system reset but checking for updates from the car and waiting sorted it out.

That's what worked for me anyway after multiple cycles. As an aside, while I share the frustration about a really poorly implemented process I am reluctant to sound off too much about it if the alternative is that they stop offering map updates to customers and we revert to the situation I had until last week of navigating with maps only a couple of months shy of five years old. But it ultimately isn't good enough and as simonb65 says below his list, basic lack of attention of the sort of issues he listed would not be tolerated at my place of work either.

I've checked mine again today... and finally it has updated the ford site to say its updated to latest Sync Version.

Any of you guys managed to get the "map update available" box to go away yet... as I am on F8, but it still says that's now available to download... The map update doesn't generate a log file (Or mine didn't anyway)

Yes I updated to F8 version a few weeks back and on checking today it  says my maps are updated to latest version.   It appears it just takes time to update the site.   

Some people saying the maps update doesn't generate a log file... myself included... It would appear ford have corrected this issue... I've had a look today and downloaded the maps for my car again, and the log creation file now appears in the SyncMyRide folder... Whereas it didn't when I originally downloaded it...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club