Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something blown in the fusebox

ChrisFordFocus

Hi

I was trying to install a dashcam and wire it to my passenger fusebox. I followed this guide but when I got to testing the fuse socket I managed to blow something in the fusebox. I attatched the crocodile to some metal in the glovebox and then put the tip into an empty socket in the fusebox to make sure the low-voltage tester works. Then I heard a spark and saw that the tip of the tester was little bit molten. I dont really understand what I did wrong but now the rear windows, the radio and interior lights don't work. 

The AC, electric mirrors, windhield wipers, front windows, all exterior lights etc (everything else I could think of) work okay. I checked the radio fuse and it was okay so I assume other fuses are also fine. Could anyone please tell me what I did wrong and more importantly, what do I need to get fixed? I'm taking the car to diagnostics next week but would like to get some idea of what's broken and how costly would it be to get fixed.

This was the last time I would touch electrics in a car. 😐

Edit: Car is Ford Focus C-Max 2006

It sounds like your "low voltage tester" has caused a direct short to earth from wherever you plugged it in. NEVER USE ONE OF THESE NEON SCREWDRIVERS!  They're monumentally crap at best and dangerous at worst, spend the money or borrow a proper multimeter.

If you're lucky you've blown a fuse or fuses either in the passenger fusesbox or the underbonnet fuse box when you caused a direct short/overload with the screwdriver. If you're unlucky you've caused damage to a circuit track inside the fusebox or spiked something electronic. Personally I'd carefully check all the fuses one at a time to see if any are blown. This PDF: https://www.clubford...Mk2 Engleza.pdf has the fuses listed (page 203 on). I'd start my search at the following locations:

In-car fuse box:

81 Door module, right-hand rear

82  Door module, left-hand rear

83 Audio modules (high level)

Underbonent fuse box: 

3&4 (Passenger compartment junction box supplies): WARNING: THESE ARE BIG 60A FUSES, DON'T TRY AND BRIDGE THEM OUT TO TEST!

Thank you very much for your thorough answer. I checked the 81-83 fuses and they were fine. English isn't my first language so I just want to make sure I understand what you mean by not trying to bridge out and test the 60A fuse in the engine fuse box. From what I google'd, it seems it means just bypassing the fuse?

I don't have a multimeter at hand now, but was wondering whether I could just go out and buy a new 60A fuse (seems to be Midival type fuse? Is this the right one?) and then see whether that was the problem or there is indeed a bigger problem.

1065154913_ScreenShot2018-08-18at14_56_09.thumb.png.a586192825f01f0e7db4608dbc2e2d4a.png

Do I just unscrew the the nuts holding the fuse in and switch it for a new one or should I also disconnect the battery before doing that?

Thank you very much for your thorough answer. I checked the 81-83 fuses and they were fine. English isn't my first language so I just want to make sure I understand what you mean by not trying to bridge out and test the 60A fuse in the engine fuse box. From what I google'd, it seems it means just bypassing the fuse?
I don't have a multimeter at hand now, but was wondering whether I could just go out and buy a new 60A fuse (seems to be Midival type fuse? Is this the right one?) and then see whether that was the problem or there is indeed a bigger problem.
1065154913_ScreenShot2018-08-18at14_56_09.thumb.png.a586192825f01f0e7db4608dbc2e2d4a.png
Do I just unscrew the the nuts holding the fuse in and switch it for a new one or should I also disconnect the battery before doing that?
Yes, "bridging out" means bypassing the fuse.

It should be obvious if you've blown one of the 60A fuses or not.

If you don't have a multimeter then I strongly suggest you take the car to a professional repairer.

Got a multimeter today and you were right, a 60 A fuse was indeed blown in the engine compartment fuse box. The fuse was transparent only on one side (underside) so it wasn't obvious just from watching that it was blown.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it. 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club