Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head gasket 1.6 ecoboost labour

Heisenberg01

Having head gasket done as I type,(ford dealer) it's been a week and not done yet been advised by main dealer "it's a big job half the engine has to come out".

I'm in a courtesy car so not unduly worried but should this be taking a week +??

Local garage quoted a day.

It wont be a week of solid work, a day sounds about right for someone experienced enough (if the head isn't warped). Main dealers will leave it sat there till they have time to fit it in. They don't really care as much as you're in a courtesy car.

They're not wrong though. Half the engine does have to come out (well the top half anyway). This is ontop of the intake + exhaust manifolds, injectors, wiring, engine mount, hoses + other bits I've missed off in order to gain access to said components.

The job may take a bit longer if the heads got lots of emulsified oil in (oil + water mix) as they will have to remove the cam shafts + each valve (x16) and clean the lot down + rebuild. That's if they're a decent garage anyway, some will just bang it back together. Also they will have to send the head off to be skimmed if it has been warped due to overheating it will take longer than a day. The head has to be perfectly flat to seal properly or you will find the headgasket blows again in a few months time.

main-qimg-8c2f2db658e966a19e777a9ae3bb7526.jpg.e5f697866fa6023866e1bd477893d2b2.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers for the reply.

I didn't think they skimmed heads anymore.

Absolutely, although not every time. You can usually tell by putting a straight edge across the face and trying to fit a 4 thou (0.1mm) feeler gauge in between. Ideally you shouldn't get a 2 thou under. Some people/garages just get it skimmed every time for peace of mind, though there's no real need if the face is flat and cleans up nicely.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club