Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil for a '63 reg Fiesta 1.5 TDCi

FordSpanner

Seems a 5w30 A5/B5 oil should be used.

I've read however that VW 504.00/507.00 oil aces most of the Ford specs for economy, sludge and wear.

What's the general opinion for a TDCi engine oil?

Just stick with the Castrol Magnatec stuff that's recommend. I've never seen an engine fail due to using the oil stated in the handbook (provided it was serviced regularly obviously).

Got a tub of Granville FSF 5w30 in the end. Its full Ford spec !

Just typed M2C913-C, the oil spec for the engine, into eBay and got the options.

£20 for a 5L tub.

I actually put Quantum's 5w30 LL (504.00/507.00) in a 2007 KA 1.3 and its been running as sweet as a nut.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the oil you bought but everyone should be aware that there is fake oil out there being sold even branded as Castrol etc

Indeed, there's always the change the product is fake.

If it is, the manufacturer soon tell you if you contact them!

Forgot to ask!

The in dash 'service Due' is  message on display. When the oil is done, will the message go off by itself?

Nope, you need to reset it. Switch ign on , press brake pedal and accelerator down and wait until message goes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Job done!

Does anyone know why the filter has a spike on the bottom?

i have tried to find this out before but don't know. the spike has an o ring on. it seems to fit into a hole in bottom of the chamber. I am thinking maybe there is a drain hole in the bottom of the chamber for oil to go back down into sump.  the spike / o ring plugs the hole. when you pull filter out it allows the oil to run down into sump. Bit of a guess.

Indeed, a drain hole makes sense since the oil filter is on an angle.

So the filter has to be replaced first before the sump oil is drained off.

Had to do the same a few weeks back when I did an oil/filter change on a '94 reg Merc C220. When I took the filter out, I could here oil draining into the sump.

In the past, I've always drained the sump oil, plug back in then taken the filter off.

With this Fiesta oil change,  I've fitted a Blue Print filter to see how it fairs. I've used Mann filters for quite a while but disappointed in the Mann fuel filter I for the car so sent it back. A lot of folk are recommending Hengst brand.

i have only used genuine Ford filter on my current and previous fiesta diesel. I think it says made by mahle on the actual filter. but you will and me will never know if any make filter was better or worse then anyother. How can you tell?  short of it actually falling apart we can't tell if it is more or less effective. 

The effective way is an engine strip down after 100k miles.

All bearings/journals inspected and measured.

19 hours ago, isetta said:

i have only used genuine Ford filter on my current and previous fiesta diesel. I think it says made by mahle on the actual filter. but you will and me will never know if any make filter was better or worse then anyother. How can you tell?  short of it actually falling apart we can't tell if it is more or less effective. 

To name a few, Mann, Mahle, Bosch I think you cannot go wrong with either of those as long as you buy from a reputable business.

I think a lot of people buy parts / filters from the dealer and willingly pay more for convenience and peace of mind but the dealers are sometimes supplied with counterfeit goods, Ford very recently have had a large supply of fake oil filters circulate throughout their dealerships across the UK. These fake filters could be taken apart by hand. So much for "Genuine Ford"....

Be it a local motor factor or an online seller, either could fall victim to fake goods.

An effective way to confirm genuine goods, albeit a bit pedantic perhaps, is to ask the manufacturer if they supply to the seller as I did with the oil I purchased from an eBay seller.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club