Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Turvey's New House Troubles

Turvey

Looking excellent mate, 

The pictures of the old wallpaper is hurting my eyes 🙈 looking much brighter now though; and the wardrobe looks to be custom built for the space its fitted in very nicely there too. 

The bathroom is also much brighter looking more Efficient on water too with the dual flush system on the toilet.

Looking forward to seeing more progress soon; my build is on hold now until March next year due to the cost of my three kids returning to school; so I'm enjoying reading this until I can get back to my own again, 

Thanks for sharing 👍

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Lenny it took way longer than we had planned, but it's good that it's finished and we're in. We spent way more on the bathroom than we should have but it's done the way we want it and it'll be good for quite a few years. 

The wardrobe was a pretty snug fit right enough, especially as I had to take it out after I assembled it incorrectly! 🙄

Still working on getting son's room ready for painting! Rare nice day here yesterday so we had a BBQ for tea and we didn't get much else done. We spent a couple of hours washing the walls but the amount of paste left on is incredible! I YouTube'd the problem and came across this vid. Seems to work very well. God, I hate wallpaper!

Enjoy your hiatus from DIY mate 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Room 3 done..... only another 11 to go!!! 🙄

Oldest son's bedroom, just a general strip back to bare walls and floor. New door, skirtings and facings, shift and add a couple of sockets and reroute a TV cable. Ceiling skimmed and painted.

The usual before and after pics. Much the same as our room. Same paint colour, same carpet even the same wardrobe. Probably going to get him matching chest of drawers and bedside cabinet. 

We're away to Inverness next weekend so the DIY will (probably) take a backseat for a wee while. 

IMG_27181132.jpg

IMG_20190721_194010656.jpg

IMG_20190721_193938614.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been a quiet couple of months house wise, family holidays and weekend trips away for gigs etc but back onto improving the place. 

Probably the least visual impact but, hopefully, it will have the most positive effect on the house. Certainly it's the most expensive job we've done so far.

Job started today, hopefully all done and dusted by Friday dinnertime.

A wee teaser pic.

IMG_20190828_194340129.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DEVSR2 said:

Air con will do you right in this weather mate, enjoy 👍

Unfortunately, due to our location, we probably won't get much of a chance to use it to cool the house ☹️ but hopefully it'll be an effective and cheap way to heat the house. It'll certainly be cheaper than oil heater anyway! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Unfortunately, due to our location, we probably won't get much of a chance to use it to cool the house ☹️ but hopefully it'll be an effective and cheap way to heat the house. It'll certainly be cheaper than oil heater anyway! 

I saw the Panasonic branding and assumed it was a TV...been a while since I've seen a TV in that 4:3 aspect! :laugh:   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Turvey said:

Great idea mate, are these units self installed ? 

They seem to be getting increasingly popular these days, 

I must say; at first glance i too thought it was a television before reading the post as your last update was routing cables in one of the bedrooms for a television.

• Like 1

@Lenny definitely not a self-install 😲

So far, we've had 2 men worked whole day Wednesday and half day today. They did all the messy jobs yesterday, holes bored to run pipework and cables etc and today they've been making up and routing the aforementioned pipework to the indoor and outdoor unit locations. 

Tomorrow will be hooking up, filling with gas, commissioning, testing etc

We had air to water heating in the last house(underfloor) and know how economic it can be. This won't be as economical but it'll be better than oil at 60p(ish) a litre being burnt in a 30 year old boiler, which we'll still have for hot water duties.

• Like 2

3 indoor units to be installed on the wall, 1 in the sitting room to be a floor mounted unit. 

Outdoor unit location, pipework will be hidden inside trunking.

Disclaimer: Please don't diss the decor! It's being replaced room by room 😀

IMG_20190829_174833205.jpg

IMG_20190829_175235827.jpg

IMG_20190829_174854843.jpg

IMG_20190829_174927982.jpg

• Like 3

Very tidy job there mate, sexy braided power cables too, 

Will you be keeping the radiators in place as back up or are they being blanked and removed as each of the rooms gets re-painted ?

47 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Very tidy job there mate, sexy braided power cables too,

I was wondering if they would miss 30 feet or so 🤔 be fine for getting power in the summer house 😉

IMG_20190829_180546804.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Will you be keeping the radiators in place as back up or are they being blanked and removed as each of the rooms gets re-painted ?

The one you see in the sitting room will be going, there's another one on the opposite side of the room for a backup. 

I think most of the others will be staying in case of breakdown etc 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Turvey said:

I was wondering if they would miss 30 feet or so 🤔 be fine for getting power in the summer house 😉

IMG_20190829_180546804.jpg

I first thought that was a dog 😂. Definitely worth it though with the hot weather here. In my room the indoor AC unit is installed so now just need the outside unit and someone to connect it all up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, zain611 said:

I first thought that was a dog 😂. Definitely worth it though with the hot weather here. In my room the indoor AC unit is installed so now just need the outside unit and someone to connect it all up. 

I'm sure it will go woof before we ever see it going cheep 😅.... I'll get my jacket now...🚪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Due to being called away to other jobs, we didn't get our install finished on Friday and due to other commitments ie Rock Festival weekend 😁 there was no work done yesterday. However it'll hopefully be finished up on Monday 🤞

All units installed, just one to be tidied up, outside unit still to be wired up. 

IMG_20190901_120938237.jpg

IMG_20190901_121010556.jpg

IMG_20190901_121111761.jpg

IMG_20190901_121051677.jpg

IMG_20190901_121228494.jpg

• Like 2

As an aside I received an addition to the side project AKA The Piston Broke Garage Bar 😎

Tennant's Lager did a new tap range recently. There was a generic Scotland one I think but they also did ones for various areas/towns/cities etc incorporating local sites and events. I've managed to get one of our local ones, very rare! 

IMG_20190831_112304223.jpg

• Like 3

New heating up and running 😀

What a difference, can get a room up to temperature in quite a short time, hardly know they're on. Just need to figure out what times we want them to come on, just now we're turning them on and off manually but come winter I would prefer it if, especially in the morning, the rooms we use are a bit warmer. 

We'll need to keep an eye on electricity usage over the next few weeks and still run the radiators occasionally to keep things ticking over but overall I think we're happy we went ahead with it.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Room 4 done! 

The 'main' bathroom, even though it's the smallest one in the house, was needing a bit of an update.

The shower used hot water like it was going out of fashion, the shower drain was nearly at the stage of falling out of the shower, the extractor fan didn't work etc etc

Just the usual strip everything back to the plasterboard and renew everything. Taking the tiles off proved impossible so it was easier to just pull the plasterboard off. The pipework for the sink had to be rerouted to exit the wall as opposed to the floor. Soundproofing insulation was packed into the wall, and covered with 2 layers of plasterboard. Old extractor was removed leaving big hole, decided to add another layer of plasterboard to the ceiling and taped and filled it. Quicker than filling the hole and skimming over a couple of times. 

Next room has been started 🙄 just a spare bedroom, so nothing too exciting.

IMG_20191012_121615812.jpg

IMG_20191012_121636059.jpg

IMG_20200122_223436214.jpg

IMG_20200121_165004312.jpg

• Like 2

Looks really nice...and finally an area I have plenty of experience with! :biggrin: 

I guess the main question is...what's it like sitting on a square seat?  More comfortable?  Easier wiping access? :g:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Looks really nice...and finally an area I have plenty of experience with! :biggrin: 

I guess the main question is...what's it like sitting on a square seat?  More comfortable?  Easier wiping access? :g:

Didn't know you were into bathroom decorating. Gives me some ideas what id like to do when I get my own house. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I can't speak from experience, I use our ensuite 😃, but Mrs Turvey assures me it's ok. She uses that one because it's a different type of plastic and the seats warmer than our one 🤔😃

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zain611 said:

Didn't know you were into bathroom decorating. Gives me some ideas what id like to do when I get my own house. 

This is how the conversation goes when it comes to designing most things in our house.

Mrs Turvey: Come to the bathroom shop and help choose a suite.

Me: No point, you'll just go for what you want.

Mrs Turvey: But you have to have some input!

At the bathroom shop.

Me: I like this one.

Mrs Turvey: But this one is better because.....

Me: Ok, we'll get that one then.

Mrs Turvey; But only if you like it.

Me: Yeah,  I suppose.

Mrs Turvey (to the assistant) We'll take this one! 

🙄😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, zain611 said:

Oh no...I just have plenty of experience using them!! :laugh:

However, I did re-tile my Mum's kitchen & bathroom when I was 15 along with decorating various rooms...  You know, while all the other 15 year olds were getting drunk, smoking weed, having s*x and enjoying beach parties... :unsure:

I would genuinely quite like to do light property development though.  Not extensive building work but manageable stuff at my own speed on my better days.  Need a huge amount of money to even start doing that though sadly.

2 minutes ago, Turvey said:

This is how the conversation goes when it comes to designing most things in our house.

Mrs Turvey: Come to the bathroom shop and help choose a suite.

Me: No point, you'll just go for what you want.

Mrs Turvey: But you have to have some input!

At the bathroom shop.

Me: I like this one.

Mrs Turvey: But this one is better because.....

Me: Ok, we'll get that one then.

Mrs Turvey; But only if you like it.

Me: Yeah,  I suppose.

Mrs Turvey (to the assistant) We'll take this one! 

🙄😃

I wonder if it's the opposite when choosing a car?  :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I wonder if it's the opposite when choosing a car?  :biggrin:

Nope!   🙄

In fact, we've got a sign in the kitchen which shows the level of input I have in anything in this house! 😃

IMG_20200123_193218361.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club