Marianne

Just bought my 2008 Fusion don't want to sound daft but.....

When I was driving and wanted to change the headlights from dipped to main the blue headlight symbol showed. How can I put main beam head lights on for night time but not 'dazzle' anyone driving  in the opposite direction? Thanks and sorry if this is the silliest question you ever had - but the car didn't come with any sort of owners manual or 'at a glance' dash board guide.

Is this your first car?

Main beam is only for use without oncoming traffic, it will always dazzle which is why the blue telltale shows.

Dipped beam is for general use, they are 'dipped' down so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic.  

is the confusion on how to change between dipped and main beam (some people might call it low beam and high beam particularly people who have had a motorbike where switch is often marked Hi and Lo) . 

On most cars including yours, you pull the stalk towards you to go from one to the other and then do same again to go back.

On some cars eg. many older cars eg 1970s plus my wife's 2010 Mazda 2 and perhaps some other cars, to go from Dipped to main you push the stalk away from you, and pull it towards you to go from main to dipped. I was quite surprised the Mazda was like that, I thought no cars were like that for years and years.

2 minutes ago, isetta said:

On some cars eg. many older cars eg 1970s plus my wife's 2010 Mazda 2 and perhaps some other cars, to go from Dipped to main you push the stalk away from you, and pull it towards you to go from main to dipped. I was quite surprised the Mazda was like that, I thought no cars were like that for years and years.

2018 grand c max is like that😀