Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silicone beneath front windsheild washer jets?

Amanda2007

Hi all,

So, I've been reading this forum a lot since buying my 2007 Focus LX last week.

As the days go by, I'm starting to notice that my car suffers from some of the common Focus problems, mainly water ingress.

The engine bay seems good so far, but after reading about water ingress through the bonnet spray jets I'm wondering if I should silicone below them for good measure?

Is it simply a matter of cleaning the area well and applying bathroom sealant around the underside of the jets?

Many thanks for any advice or recommendations.

pretty much, you need to make sure you get it off the paint when done and ideally use one that won't do the paint any harm.... (not sure bathroom stuff is the best - probably the cheapest)

• Like 1

Normal household silicone sealant has acetic acid to help it cure. Not sure what it'll do to car paint, but you can get neutral curing stuff too.

If I were getting water ingress like this i'd probably be looking to see if I can get an engine cover instead. 

• Like 1

i use normal silicone before on bumper fresh paint was ok , 🙂

• Like 2

I used ‘normal’ silicon sealant for a bathroom’ on my fiesta mk6 screenwash jets to seal them, just wiped the excess from around them (on the top of the bonnet) and didn’t effect the paint.

• Like 1

Oh..........I thought you had to seal them from the underside of the bonnet 😯

On 1/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, Amanda2007 said:

Oh..........I thought you had to seal them from the underside of the bonnet 😯

I removed the jet from the bonnet, wiped the area around the aperture clean, put a small smear of sealant on the bottom of the jet. When I pressed it into the aperture the sealant oozed out so I just wiped around the jet with a damp tissue. Can’t remember the colour name of my fiesta at the time but as it was a very very light bluish silvery colour the white sealant wasn’t obvious. As you said you could seal them from underneath where the sealant won’t be seen anyway.

• Like 1

Cheers mate, might get around to doing it next weekend. The days are so short at the moment, it's practically dark at 4.30pm. 😟

mask around the jet so any excess sealant will splodge onto the masking tape.

2 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

mask around the jet so any excess sealant will splodge onto the masking tape.

Just remember to remove the tape before the sealant goes off. Got distracted doing my bath and came back to a pig of a job to remove the tape neatly 😛

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club