Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2.5 new exhaust issue

Jon Bhoy

Hi all,

The mounting came off my original back box in December and was flagged up on my MOT so today took it to local independent Garage to get a new OEM box fitted.Came out of the garage and pretty fast sounded like it was blowing! (Its an A2A exhaust,anyone any knowledge on them?) . I drove for a few miles and its a LOT more throaty at lower revs hence why i think its almost blowing but keep running out to the car to give it a few revs and part of me is sure then a few mins later unsure (I would have taken it back but picked car up just before closing). Im wondering as mine is the 1.8 Zetec S is there a chance they may have fitted a 1.6 and if so would it cause this issue ? The only reason i ask is with the Ford exhaust the down turned trim that was on the car im guessing from new by the look of it was just more towards the middle of the car where the arch on the bumper defuser is but where the exhaust is is actually behind where the arch slopes so putting on the new trim is almost impossible. guess an easier way to say is in the picture the brown cap to the right of the black plastic holder and jubilee clip needs to come over to the right about 4-5cms.Is that just a case of adjusting the mounting?Have included the mounting pic of the new exhaust set up.Many thanks everyone,my minds doing loops having to wait to go back to the garage so any advice is gratefully received.

20190204_175509.jpg

20190204_175519.jpg

20190204_175712.jpg

if you want to know if it's blowing hold a large screwed up rag over the end of the exhaust whilst it is running on tickover.  I don't know about the exhaust type, if they vary by engine size, but it looks like a bit of a bodge having that jubilee clip on there like that. I suppose it does the job but I wouldn't have thought it was how the exhaust makers intended. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest i have no idea why the jubilee clip is even there! Im guessing its to stop side to side for some reason?

Wouldn’t surprise me if you find the garage never used any exhaust paste when they put the new one on so it’ll take a bit for the exhaust to seal properly. That’s why some exhausts sound ‘raspy’ for a while after they’re fitted.

• Thanks 1

Just to clarify, perhaps it’s just how it’s worded but that is not an OEM exhaust. That’s an aftermarket brand.

Also, some cheap aftermarket brands do sound throaty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys,do you think from the pics shown that they would be able somehow to adjust it from left to right a bit? 

Exhausts do take some time to bed in, heat cycles and soot quietens them a bit, but it'll also have less wadding/baffles in than the original.  Originals are made to meet strict noise emissions limits, aftermarkets aren't.

If you undo that jubilee you'll be able to slide it across, however I reckon it was rattling against something which is why they've pushed it right over and locked it with that jubilee.  Pretty poor job tbh but that's not unusual with aftermarket parts and exhaust garages.  It may have been a better job to have the bracket welded back on your original.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sadly i agree Tom regarding welding back the bracket but to late now its changed 😞 I have the exhaust trim thats on the Zetec S coming to put back on and as soon as it arrives ill head down there but feel either its the wrong part that they have had to bodge in or somethings not right with the fitting.Its at the point im having to turn the radio up louder so i dont hear the droning! 😞

Mines fell off too but it's went through mot with a jubilee holding it to the bracket with no advisory.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Mines fell off too but it's went through mot with a jubilee holding it to the bracket with no advisory.

As long as it is secure and not leaking it doesn’t matter. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jon Bhoy said:

Sadly i agree Tom regarding welding back the bracket but to late now its changed 😞 I have the exhaust trim thats on the Zetec S coming to put back on and as soon as it arrives ill head down there but feel either its the wrong part that they have had to bodge in or somethings not right with the fitting.Its at the point im having to turn the radio up louder so i dont hear the droning! 😞

Get one of these if it bothers you that much https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Removable-Baffle-DB-Killer-Noise-Reducer-to-fit-63-5mm-I-D-Angled-Exhaust-Outlet/181772003867?hash=item2a5274aa1b:g:aSkAAOSwBLlVeaLa

• Like 1

Years ago id have spent money like i did on Peco Big Boire 4's to get a noise but now its just annoying.Im more bothered the fact half the outlet exhaust is behind the bumper and about 5cm's away from where it should be and that theres a Jubilee clip on there for no reason (shouldnt be i guess on a proper fitted one).

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know if theres a specific exhaust for the 1.8 Zetec S that would have the outlet pip in a different position to a standard one? I have looked but not found anything just yet in the few mins ii have had time to.

Yes the last bit of pipe leaving the vehicle under the skirting.

Well had the Zetec S trim arrive and lifted the car but as my nephew was about i asked him to hold a rag against the back box pipe.As soon as he did i could hear a hiss.So lifted the car enough to get my arm under and about directly under where the front door handle is (Its a three door) on the exhaust system i felt air rushing out so i guess thats where the droning noise is from!!!!!Off back to the garage tomorrow,not a happy man!!!

• Sad 1

Well they have not sealed it properly bad garage! You can either get a clip on pipe that goes from bend to straight or get it cut and welded or get an aftermarket more expensive straight version.

Cheapest version would be... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F300910240915

So glad I put a stainless steel system on my zetec s 3 years ago

20160910_150548.jpg

20160910_150604.jpg

• Like 3

Thats a beautyChris . If you dont mind me asking how much did that set you back?For some reason the buggers want to put my insurance up nearly £200 if i put a sports exhaust on it!I was ***** shocked and seemed a fair few companies did the same too 😞

Thanks Ian,i took the car back today and the connection where the back box meets the centre pipe hadnt been sealed (They said a couple of "holes" had come loose and needed filling....erm....yeah ok!!!) . The guy sealed and tightened it and although theres still a slight drone its certainly liveable.The trim i got they even lined up and fitted for me so im happy.......for now!

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone that chipped in.This forum has always been superb for me and your answers help me and many others on here so a huge pat on the back.Can you feel the love!haha 

15 hours ago, Jon Bhoy said:

Thats a beautyChris . If you dont mind me asking how much did that set you back?For some reason the buggers want to put my insurance up nearly £200 if i put a sports exhaust on it!I was ***** shocked and seemed a fair few companies did the same too 😞

Thanks jon 👍

I think it cost me about £350 ish, can't remember exactly. It was my very first mod I had done to the car, I wanted the ST/RS look on the back end, I've since added a copy part RS rear spoiler as well. I was planning this mod before I even picked up the car.

If you search Google for "pro speed exhausts" Cardiff there are more photos of my car when you click on Google photos.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club