Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunking sound

CraigJ123

Hi, hoping someone can help. Last few weeks the car (Ford Focus 2007 5 door hatchback) has been making a wooden clunking sound (like the sound of dropping wood on pavement) under feet in line with the drivers seat and a bit in front of driver side rear wheel. This occurs infrequently when going over little bumps in roads like drains or right hand turns. It's just been in for MOT and nothing mentioned. Also there is squeaking from the engine sometimes when first turned on. Any ideas for the cause? I'm a big novice, but hoping to learn a lot from this site and other sources as quickly as possible. Any help gratefully appreciated.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CraigJ123 said:

Hi, hoping someone can help. Last few weeks the car (Ford Focus 2007 5 door hatchback) has been making a wooden clunking sound (like the sound of dropping wood on pavement) under feet in line with the drivers seat and a bit in front of driver side rear wheel. This occurs infrequently when going over little bumps in roads like drains or right hand turns. It's just been in for MOT and nothing mentioned. Also there is squeaking from the engine sometimes when first turned on. Any ideas for the cause? I'm a big novice, but hoping to learn a lot from this site and other sources as quickly as possible. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Hi Craig. You're in the right place; I started on this forum two years ago with no knowledge of cars at all.  In that time with the help of the guys on here, have changed a Timing belt, calipers, EGR valves, brakes, serviced our cars!  Great people, great forum!  

Have you listened to the squeaking with the engine running and bonnet open?  Can you pinpoint it or video it and post it?  Could just be as simple as the drive belt.  What engine is it?

As for the clunking, I would guess something to do with suspension, but have little to zero experience on that subject so someone else will have to chip in on that.  

Edited by Albert27
  • Like 1

Is the clunking more frequent when going slow over bumps?

I'm not sure about the engine. I'll try get a video when I can of the squeeking. I don't think it makes a difference with the speed, but I'm going a lot slower since noticing the sound.

Since the MOT, the heat shield started hanging off so I've had to tape that up. It didn't like speed bumps! I'm still going slow over them, so I've got cars right up behind me which isn't nice.

There was just the squeeking under the bonnet this morning, no cluncking, but it will be back I'm sure. The heat shield was rattling a bit but not making the noise it was previously and not hanging off, for now.

Clunking could be a few things, snapped spring, worn bushes, loose exhaust knocking on underside of the car, etc, etc.

I would take it to a fast fit centre ATS, Halfords, Kwik Fit etc and let them diagnose the fault and quote for the works. It's up to you if you accept the quote or walk away at least then knowing what the fault is and if you want to repair it yourself.

• 10 months later...

It's still happening and was going to get it checked next month when MOT was due but I'm getting a new Ford Focus so I'll never know! Thanks anyways.

1 hour ago, CraigJ123 said:

It's still happening and was going to get it checked next month when MOT was due but I'm getting a new Ford Focus so I'll never know! Thanks anyways.

Yeh let somebody else figure it out good luck with the new one!

1 hour ago, F0CUE said:

Yeh let somebody else figure it out good luck with the new one!

Lol aye and thanks. I'm trying to learn about all the tech stuff as reading about some issues on here it appears it may be wise!

Do they give you a fixed credit for the car being traded in or do they assess it first?

1 hour ago, CraigJ123 said:

Lol aye and thanks. I'm trying to learn about all the tech stuff as reading about some issues on here it appears it may be wise!

Do they give you a fixed credit for the car being traded in or do they assess it first?

They will probs have a look at it to test its value as long as it has MOT and is reasonable it should be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fixed amount apparently and I'm getting an old Fiesta and not a new Focus :sad:. I misunderstood my dad :blush:. He'll be driving the car for an hour before he sends it in so hopefully he'll hear the dodgy sounds and know what it is :laugh:.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club