Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil + Filter change

robbyvrs

I've got my car booked in for the 1 year convenience check this week (booked online) and asked for a price including the oil + filter change which they didn't price me on.

How much will a main dealer charge for this? just want to be prepared beforehand so i can tell them not to do it if they're ripping me off

The check is just under £100 which extends the assist by another year but looking on the ford website is says they just "check" items - guess no brake cleaning/ adjusting, etc then?

Some dealers are still doing the check at £35 or so which was the advertised price when I ordered my car. I got the check + oil/filter change for £99.

Where was that Eric? i'm booked in with Evans Halshaw

47 minutes ago, robbyvrs said:

Where was that Eric? i'm booked in with Evans Halshaw

My local dealer who supplied the car (Lawtons, Tadcaster) which is probably out of your way I think.When checking round myself I noticed quite a few of the dealer websites were still quoting the £34.99 (TCH was one I remember but they don't operate in Yorkshire these days).

A point to bear in mind if haggling is the check includes up to 1litre of oil anyway.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

My local dealer who supplied the car (Lawtons, Tadcaster) which is probably out of your way I think.When checking round myself I noticed quite a few of the dealer websites were still quoting the £34.99 (TCH was one I remember but they don't operate in Yorkshire these days).

A point to bear in mind if haggling is the check includes up to 1litre of oil anyway.

Got my Fiesta from there Roger.  About an hour and a half from where I live but well worth it to avoid my local Helshaw.

@Rob - £99 sounds like a decent price as my local (non-ford) garage charged me about £140 but I did specify Magnatec.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tef89 said:

well worth it to avoid my local Helshaw.

I think like most big groups they vary from branch to branch. Some friends of ours have had 3 Fiestas in a row from them and been quite satisfied.

5 hours ago, tef89 said:

Got my Fiesta from there Roger.  About an hour and a half from where I live but well worth it to avoid my local Helshaw.

@Rob - £99 sounds like a decent price as my local (non-ford) garage charged me about £140 but I did specify Magnatec.

The £99 is just for the check and breakdown assist renewal for another 12 months - not sure how much they'll charge on top for the oil + filter change?

Their website does say they price match (or beat any genuine price?) so if i find out within 5 days afterwards it was cheaper somewhere else i can claim the difference back - i'll be checking around 🙂

38 minutes ago, robbyvrs said:

The £99 is just for the check and breakdown assist renewal for another 12 months - not sure how much they'll charge on top for the oil + filter change?

Should be no more than 4 litres of oil (1 being included in the check) at around £4.95/litre, filter and washer around £9 plus whatever they charge for labour.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Should be no more than 4 litres of oil (1 being included in the check) at around £4.95/litre, filter and washer around £9 plus whatever they charge for labour.

so around £150 i'm guessing 😉

Well Halfrauds do a minor service for £70 so i'm hoping for £50ish - any more and i wont bother, it's only got 1300 miles on so can leave it till next year

• Like 1

First year service (which is basically an oil and filter change) from my local trust ford is about £180.  Second year is £215 though they have a £20 off promotion that I just took advantage of.  Like all manufacturers, Ford know how to charge!!!

The service will of course also include the visual inspection!  Tbh £100 sounds like a lot of money for someone to walk around under the car with an inspection lamp

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:14 PM, tarbyonline said:

First year service (which is basically an oil and filter change) from my local trust ford is about £180.  Second year is £215 though they have a £20 off promotion that I just took advantage of.  Like all manufacturers, Ford know how to charge!!!

The service will of course also include the visual inspection!  Tbh £100 sounds like a lot of money for someone to walk around under the car with an inspection lamp

Make that £111 for labour.  The keys were out of my hands for exactly 45 minutes which included them giving it a very quick wash (they missed some bits).

They also tried to sting me for a brake fluid change, saying they’d give me £20 off as the vehicle was already up on the lift!  So there you have it, it costs £20 to but a fiesta on a lift lol 😂 .  The only parts used were an oil filter, pollen filter, and oil billed at what looked to me to be a rather high rate.

Here’s the invoice for anyone interested

EAB4C8CC-2617-4E4F-8662-C152DC465540.jpeg

To to be honest the only reason I still use Ford for servicing is the car is on pcp and will likely be going back under a voluntary termination or just handed back early if possible later this year as the car is barely used due to a change of circumstances.  I could easily get the same service elsewhere at a third of the price!  I don’t want to give them any excuse to charge me a penalty essentially.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club