Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Rear brakes stick on when car not driven few days

Paul Surrey Ford Focus

I have a 2012 Ford Focus 1.6d Zetec that I have owned from new and maintained on a service contract by the Ford dealer I bought it from.  

When I took it in for a service last month the Ford Dealer advised the rear brakes were sticking and I paid to have them to be stripped, cleaned and refitted. I had noticed that after a few day of not being driven reversing the car out of my garage there had been a slight knock so I assumed this was the sticking they had referenced; note when driven daily this never happened and the car seem to drive as normal at all times; as such I was more happy to pay for this to be done. The trouble is the slight issue I paid to have corrected simply got worse, much worse; again when driven daily all was well, but leave it a few days and it is no longer a slight knock to release the sticking brake, the car rises up against the brake and then after what appears to be unreasonable amount of force 'bang' it releases, then drives OK; naturally each time literally straight back to the dealer in a bid to get this issue rectified. 

I have taken the car back twice since with the same issue and each time the dealer has advised they have adjusted, but I would have thought three goes at adjusting it then perhaps it's more than just an adjustment needed, my concern is I don't want brakes that are not working as they should, failing when parked is one thing, failing at other times far more worrying. I confess I have started to loose faith in the dealer as each time they have not been able to give me an explanation as to why it sticks, confirming it is not the handbrake. I wondered if anyone else has a similar issue with their brakes sticking on after a few days? 

17 minutes ago, Paul Surrey Ford Focus said:

I confess I have started to loose faith in the dealer as each time they have not been able to give me an explanation as to why it sticks, confirming it is not the handbrake.

It almost certainly will be the handbrake.  Leave it in gear with the handbrake off next time you leave it parked for a few days and I'll bet it doesn't happen.

Unfortunately sticking rear brakes are quite common on various cars, especially over a few days of no use, and particularly bad in damp conditions.  There's not much you can do about it.  I suspect the reason it's worse now is because the handbrake was tightened at the rebuild.

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It almost certainly will be the handbrake.  Leave it in gear with the handbrake off next time you leave it parked for a few days and I'll bet it doesn't happen.

Unfortunately sticking rear brakes are quite common on various cars, especially over a few days of no use, and particularly bad in damp conditions.  There's not much you can do about it.  I suspect the reason it's worse now is because the handbrake was tightened at the rebuild.

My handbrake sticks if i leave the car for a day or two, i just leave it off and in gear now luckily i have a flat drive, 2018 Grand C-Max disc on rear.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your replies, they are drums on the rear, that's my car below, not that it helps clarify I guess! I did think it may be the handbrake as well.

I made a point to explain to the dealer, emphasising that it drives perfectly when it finally does go 'bang' and becomes free. Initially looking back so minor was it before the service that I didn't mention it when I took it in, it was they who contacted me to to advise they were sticking and I told them at the time of the call "now they had mentioned it I had noticed what I felt may have been a hand brake issue", they responded that the issue they had found would have caused that and as such I was happy to be have the work done.

I made even more a point of explaining the issue both times I have returned the car and both times they have dismissed the handbrake even though I directly referenced and asked if it could be. The trouble I have is all seems OK when it finally does free up and takes a few days to seize again; which isn't at the dealer of course. Even when I collected the car I asked them again as I would have thought if the brakes were sticking I may feel that when driving, where as to me logically the handbrake once unstuck would result in a normal driving experience; again they dismissed it, the check in staff referenced they had also asked if it could be the handbrake as well, so it's not for want of trying! Both times I have collected the car after taking it back with this issue I haven't been given much reassurance, the opposite in fact; "we have adjusted it; again," which by association means they had adjusted it incorrectly twice before; the first time charging me to do so.  

I was happy to pay for a minor issue to be corrected, but it seems all I have done is paid for something to be made worse and fear I am now about to get into a dispute over this with the dealer. I will let you know what happens, I could be worrying over nothing and for all I know it is third time lucky and all is now well!

Focus1.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club