Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo whine down

john j

When cutting my engine I can what must be the turbo still spinning.  This make a whining noise before it comes to a halt.  Does this very briefly.  About 2 to 3 seconds. I wondering if this is normal or a cause for concern.  I had a Fusion 1.4 tdci previously and didn't notice this. 

I don't think it's the turbo. I always thought it was the power steering pump.

I had a mk6.5 fiesta 1.6tdci and there was always a noise that I thought was the turbo spinning down when turning off engine. It never occurred to me that it might be the power steering pump. But I know the power steering on my car was a hydraulic rack with an electric pump under the battery area so I think it could be. 

On my current 1.5tdci I don't hear such a noise and I assumed it was because of better sound insulation. But if the noise on old one was power steering pump I would not hear the same on my 1,5tdci as it does not have a power steering pump (it has the power steering assistance electrically on the shaft up under the dash).

So I am thinking it is more likely the power steering pump.

1.4tdci did not have electric pump I believe, it had traditional belt driven mechanical pump.

It's the EGR solenoid whining during the self test.  Normal on those engines along with a few clicks etc at the same time.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club