Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A/C now fixed, 3rd time lucky??

StephenFord

I acquired my Mik2 last Christmas. it became apparent that the A/C didn't work, so I took it off to KwikFit for a regas. Lasted a bit, but soon all the chilled air disappeared. To KwikFits credit, got full refund so not out of pocket. On taking it to my long standing A/C guy, he diagnosed that the condenser radiator was leaking. It didn't look in good condition and they are in such a vulnerable position, got it replaced.

However, after a couple of weeks, I again lost all my chilled air. On the ramp, he showed me where the dye had also been leaking out of my compressor. So, onto eBay, ordered a replacement (£25!), and had it fitted. Now gassed up with a replacement compressor, and new condenser radiator, I'm hoping that's the end if it - I'm due some luck, aren't I?

Old compressor, but I cleaned up the green gunk before taking pic!

987562711_oldaccompressor.thumb.jpg.b8a954bcd8dfaa186d298d9cc83fbfdb.jpg

• Like 2

Out of interest, how much did each step cost?  I have been told that my condenser has a leak and was quoted a huge amount to replace it.  That was a couple of years ago and never got it done, but then I complain about it every summer:)  Not sure if it is worth doing it now as the seals may also need changing but still think about it everytime the weather gets hot.

1 hour ago, south_bound said:

Out of interest, how much did each step cost?  I have been told that my condenser has a leak and was quoted a huge amount to replace it.  That was a couple of years ago and never got it done, but then I complain about it every summer:)  Not sure if it is worth doing it now as the seals may also need changing but still think about it everytime the weather gets hot.

I think I've answered you before, but no harm saying again.

Initial KwikFit re gas £59.95 (but later refunded)

New condenser radiator (£80 off Ebay)

Replacement A/C compressor (£25 off Ebay)

The labour for the latter 2, which included 2 further regases were £140. (£100 condenser, £40 compressor)

The condenser took about 90 minutes, and the compressor took 20 minutes. My A/C guy lives in a rural area as do I so no silly 'London' hourly labour rates.

There is no way i could afford all new parts and 'main dealer' labour charges which I'm sure would be pretty hefty, I'm sure if you shop around you should be able to get similar without being ripped off. I should also mention that after the 2nd re gas, there was a very slight leak from 2 seals, but this totally dried up after the 3rd so the lubrication of the gassing fixed that issue.

Typical as I look out now it's about 14c and pouring LOL Oh well, I'm sure there'll be warmer days to try her out 🤣

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Typical as I look out now it's about 14c and pouring LOL Oh well, I'm sure there'll be warmer days to try her out 🤣

:laugh:  Ideal, just in time for autumn! :biggrin: 

Be sure to use it now and then through the winter so it's still good for next years summer!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

:laugh:  Ideal, just in time for autumn! :biggrin: 

Be sure to use it now and then through the winter so it's still good for next years summer!

Good advice Tom, I always drive any car with the A/C permanently on, as even when it's wet & miserable, the humidity benefits of A/C helps to keep the screen clear too.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club