Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK1 Focus boot doesn't open

Edwin.Alin

Hello. I have a 2000 Ford Focus Estate 1.6 petrol engine, european edition. My boot seems to be joking with me... I can't open it with the key, but it's ok, I have the button in the car for this... Yesterday, the button stopped working, then... 2 hours later, worked again and...stopped working again. When I press it, it doesn't make any sound, just nothing...

When you say it doesnt work with the button, are you talking about the button in the car or on the key? I had the same problem with my Mk1. In the end I tracked it down to a broken wire in the rubber boot (no pun intended!!!) which goes from the car to the top of the tailgate for the loom. I think I soldiered it back together, as replacing the loom looked to be a nightmare. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

When you say it doesnt work with the button, are you talking about the button in the car or on the key? I had the same problem with my Mk1. In the end I tracked it down to a broken wire in the rubber boot (no pun intended!!!) which goes from the car to the top of the tailgate for the loom. I think I soldiered it back together, as replacing the loom looked to be a nightmare. 

I'm talking about the button in the car. 

If I remember right, there was some kind of common fault with the connection on the back of the switch. I'm guessing, if the key and the switch doesn't work you are now unable to open the boot.

1 hour ago, Nathan Buffery said:

If I remember right, there was some kind of common fault with the connection on the back of the switch. I'm guessing, if the key and the switch doesn't work you are now unable to open the boot.

Yup... that's right. But it's weird that sometimes the button in the car works. I'm guessing it's a wire that doesn't make contact...

If I was you I'd take the switch out first and check the that the connection is in good condition and not corroded. Give it a good spray with DW40. If that doesn't work, I'd have a look inside the rubber boot at the wires running from the car to the boot lid.  You pull the rubber off a plastic clip that is acting as a Gromet on the car end of the rubber. Check that all the wires are in good condition with no breaks. Like I said, I used solder, but you could use a crimp to rejoin the wire if it's broken. To put the rubber back on, you remove the plastic Gromet, refit the rubber and then push the Gromet back in. It took me maybe two hours to figure out how to get the rubber back on, with lots of swearing!!! There is also a possibility that the mechanism is corroded as very often the rear washer pipe (which is also within the rubber boot) breaks and fills the rear tailgate with water. Good luck!!!

7 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

If I was you I'd take the switch out first and check the that the connection is in good condition and not corroded. Give it a good spray with DW40. If that doesn't work, I'd have a look inside the rubber boot at the wires running from the car to the boot lid.  You pull the rubber off a plastic clip that is acting as a Gromet on the car end of the rubber. Check that all the wires are in good condition with no breaks. Like I said, I used solder, but you could use a crimp to rejoin the wire if it's broken. To put the rubber back on, you remove the plastic Gromet, refit the rubber and then push the Gromet back in. It took me maybe two hours to figure out how to get the rubber back on, with lots of swearing!!! There is also a possibility that the mechanism is corroded as very often the rear washer pipe (which is also within the rubber boot) breaks and fills the rear tailgate with water. Good luck!!!

Thank's. I'll try that and come back with a good result, I hope 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club