Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New car purchase

Bobr
聽Share

15 minutes ago, Bobr said:

I was a police driver though and we trained on both manual and automatic cars as we might have had to drive either on occasion.

馃憤 No worries, then! I was interested because, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I may have to make the switch myself eventually (dodgy toes on clutch foot). I'm ok with driving autos, but my Mrs has never driven one. She normally only drives her own car but may have to drive mine occasionally. I may have to persuade her to book a few lessons in an auto when the time comes!

First time I got into an auto car, Roger, the instructor told me to take my left shoe off.聽 聽It worked.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bobr said:

First time I got into an auto car, Roger, the instructor told me to take my left shoe off.聽 聽It worked.

That's not bad advice. I once got into Mrs. TimST2's auto and pressed the brake pedal with my left foot as I got to the end of the driveway (no idea why). I nearly exited the car via the windscreen聽:laughing::whistling:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

I nearly exited the car via the windscreen

The聽 first few weeks I had an Auto I had聽 problems when things got a bit busy at roundabouts or junctions I would go for the clutch when I would have been down changing on a manual and shooting myself through the screen as I left foot braked instead. Got used to it after a while. Now back on manual gearbox which I prefer unless I was doing a lot of driving in the city/town then I'd get an Auto.

One thing I don't understand.聽 聽I've done a hell of a lot of research on this gearbox as I've never had a twin clutch auto before.聽 聽I understand that one clutch operates 1,3 &5 and the other 2,4 & 6.聽 聽But where does reverse come in?

17 hours ago, Bobr said:

聽But where does reverse come in?

That's a good question, Bob!馃榾. Not certain on this, but I think I've seen somewhere that on a dual clutch box reverse would normally be on the same shaft as the "odd" gears (1,3,5).聽

18 hours ago, Bobr said:

One thing I don't understand.聽 聽I've done a hell of a lot of research on this gearbox as I've never had a twin clutch auto before.聽 聽I understand that one clutch operates 1,3 &5 and the other 2,4 & 6.聽 聽But where does reverse come in?

1,3,5 & R

51731CEC-B309-41E7-9EB7-ED02EF73FCB3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.聽 聽I've stripped and repaired gearboxes in the past (the distant past) but I don't think I'd like to tackle that one.馃榾

On 11/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, TimST2 said:

That's not bad advice. I once got into Mrs. TimST2's auto and pressed the brake pedal with my left foot as I got to the end of the driveway (no idea why). I nearly exited the car via the windscreen聽:laughing::whistling:

I鈥檝e done the same, 3 times in about a minutes time, just couldn鈥檛 figure out how to adjust my body to acknowledge the fact there isn鈥檛 a clutch pedal to press, such a daft feeling

Found something that I think might be a bit odd.聽 聽I know that, when the gear lever is in Sport mode, you can change gear manually but I found that I can change gear manually when in Drive mode.聽 聽Is this normal?

Normally on the autos or dual clutch boxes I've driven, when manually selecting a gear while聽in D it quickly goes back to auto mode, if you do it in S it stays in the gear you select unless you select another yourself. I think it may mention this in the "Autocar" test I posted the link to.

Thanks Roger, I'll have a look.聽 聽In fact it did quickly revert to it's normal operation.

Yes, found it Roger.聽 聽Quote, 'In D, the gear you select manually defaults back to normal automatic mode quite soon. In S, the gear you select stays selected unless you move the rocker, or select D on the main lever.'

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

Found something that I think might be a bit odd.聽 聽I know that, when the gear lever is in Sport mode, you can change gear manually but I found that I can change gear manually when in Drive mode.聽 聽Is this normal?

Mine does this too, in fact sometimes I bump the down button with my knee, which has scared the crap out of me haha.

• Haha 1

Harking back to the tyre pressure problem earlier (20 psi in all tyres) it occured to me to wonder why the tyre pressure sensors didn't alert me to the problem.聽 聽So I reduced the pressure in one back tyre to 20 psi and drove round the block.聽 聽Nothing.聽 聽No alert at all.聽 聽Sandicliffe are collecting the car on 4th December to sort the problem out.

Did you check and see if it's enabled, I think all the settings are in the radio. It might just be disabled, maybe one of the sensors failed and in order to hide the error they just turned it off?

56 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Harking back to the tyre pressure problem earlier (20 psi in all tyres) it occured to me to wonder why the tyre pressure sensors didn't alert me to the problem.聽 聽So I reduced the pressure in one back tyre to 20 psi and drove round the block.聽 聽Nothing.聽 聽No alert at all.聽 聽Sandicliffe are collecting the car on 4th December to sort the problem out.

This might be a silly question, but did you reset the Base Pressure in the Information Screen when you pumped up the tyres to their correct pressure.

I have read elsewhere on this Forum that the warning comes when the pressure drops to below around 80% of the Set Pressure, so either it is not working or the car was set up incorrectly before you got it.

• Thanks 1

When I pumped the tyres up to their correct pressures I did reset the Pressure Monitor in the menu.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going for my first long drive today; Nottingham to Wakefield and back.聽 聽Rather ,looking forward to seeing what the mpg will be.聽 聽It's 1 deg C and a bit foggy so will obviously be taking my time on the M1.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

Going for my first long drive today; Nottingham to Wakefield and back.聽 聽Rather ,looking forward to seeing what the mpg will be.聽 聽It's 1 deg C and a bit foggy so will obviously be taking my time on the M1.

Have fun Bob m8, just remember low temps have a negative effect of MPG 馃槈

It was very foggy in patches and, on the way back was getting dark too.聽 聽I stuck to 60 mph and many others were doing the same.聽 聽Couldn't believe some idiots driving in fog with no lights on.聽 聽Overall average was 58.2 mpg in max temperature of 2 deg. C.聽 聽Quite pleased with that.聽 聽Still loving this gearbox.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club