Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red dashboard display stays on.

pauljoanss

I have a problem sometimes with the battery going flat after car left for couple of days.

I now have identified that this always coincides with the center red LED  panel on the dashboard staying on when car is not in use and this must be  causing a slow drain on the battery. Ok over 1 day but goes flat if left for 2. In normal operation this red panel switches off after a few minutes if car unlocked or switches off straight away if car locked. This fault is also accompanied by the radilo/sat nav unit going dead. Several times I have managed to correct the fault by disconnecting battery for a few hours, both radio and red panel then work normally. Unfortunately solution is not working at the moment.

Any ideas what might cause this combination of faults and how to rectify?

Ford Focus 2010, comms model.

Something is still alive after the car is locked, most usually on the mk2/mk2.5 you'll find the ignition barrel to be a bit worn and that usually has an impact. Next time you turn off give the key a good wiggle as you turn the barrell and see if it helps. Other problems include the radio itself failing and the instrument cluster potentially having a fault. None are unheard of, but the former is definitely the easier one to check out.

If that doesn't help, try unplugging the radio for a couple of days and checking then, just make sure you have the code!

Finally, chase the gremlins. A multi-meter will be able to show you how much of a vampire you have when checking across the battery side of things.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have the problem for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden it has cleared, red panel off when car ,left (locked or not) a d radio working. Not sure if it started when car running or whe car first started. Must try and monitor under what conditions it happens again. Lovely not to be jump starting all the time.

This is a well known problem.

The instrument cluster display is controlled by CANbus activity. The display is ON when the CANbus network is active. The display is OFF when the CANbus network is inactive (approximately 20 to 30 minutes after the car has been locked) and all CANbus modules go into sleep mode. 

The display not switching OFF indicates that there is a problem that causes the CANbus network to remain active and preventing the CANbus modules from entering sleep mode. In this case every single CANbus module that is installed in the car will remain constantly powered (during operation the modules draw approximately 95% more current than in sleep mode) which causes the battery to drain pretty fast.

Every single CANbus module that is installed into the car can basically develop a defect or software fault and cause the CANbus network to remain active and prevent the CANbus modules from entering sleep mode. The radio (especially the Travelpilot FX satnav system) and the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module however are infamous for causing these issues and will be the biggest suspect. In about 90% of all cases disconnecting the radio and/or Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module solves the problem immediately.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much for your reply JW1982, it is the first time I have had any idea how the two faults (radio and dashboard) could be linked.

I have not been on this forum for some time so have only just read your reply. The problem has now been back for a couple of months and is getting a bit frustrating, every time I leave the car overnight I have to disconnect the battery.

Some questions:

1. I understand  that you suggest disconnecting the radio/satnav, is that complete disconnecting or could I just cut power by removing a fuse.?

2. If this cures the dashboard problem then is the faulty radio/satnav repairable?

3. You mention disconnecting the bluetooth/voice control module, is this separate from the radio/satnav  if yes then where is it.

Big thanks for your reply and sorry for more questions.

Best Regards 

Paul

Just thought, would Forscan give any useful information.

2 hours ago, pauljoanss said:

I have not been on this forum for some time so have only just read your reply.

Make sure you have the option to 'follow thread', that way you'll get an email to tell you that someone has posted a response and you don't need to visit the forum on spec...

• 11 months later...

I have this exact issue 

I unplugged the radio and installed my own stereo but the dash screen is still constantly on

I cleaned up all my earth's and that hasn't solved it either 

Will I possibly have to get a new screen I wonder? 

The problem is not the screen staying on, that's just the thing you can see. The real issue is the screen stays on because something is keeping one or more modules awake. Until all modules shut down and enter sleep mode the screen remains on.

It's often a difficult fault to trace, if your car has the separate bluetooth module (normally located on or near the top of the glovebox) then it can be a good place to start. Unplug the bluetooth module and see if the screen shuts down after 15 minutes.

You could also try using a laptop with the software FORScan, and see if there are any DTC's stored that might indicate problems on the CanBus system

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:28 AM, unofix said:

The problem is not the screen staying on, that's just the thing you can see. The real issue is the screen stays on because something is keeping one or more modules awake. Until all modules shut down and enter sleep mode the screen remains on.

It's often a difficult fault to trace, if your car has the separate Bluetooth module (normally located on or near the top of the glovebox) then it can be a good place to start. Unplug the Bluetooth module and see if the screen shuts down after 15 minutes.

You could also try using a laptop with the software FORScan, and see if there are any DTC's stored that might indicate problems on the CanBus system

Wow that was amazing, thank you! The screen now turns off after I removed the bluetooth module. You saved me so much money you diamond! 

My battery is still draining but I'll get the forscan device and software and suss that bit out

Thanks again!! 

• Like 1

Pleased it worked for you.

Replacement bluetooth units can be found on eBay. Check that you get the same part number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=ford+focus+mk2+bluetooth+module&_sacat=0

Also FORScan can be downloaded free from here: https://forscan.org/download.html

You will need one of the new OBDII port leads to connect your laptop:

https://www.bmdiag.co.uk/forscan-diagnostic-cable-for-ford-vgate-vlinker-fs

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club