Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New ST Line X owner, couple of questions

mitch84
聽Share

Hi

Just took delivery of my Fiesta st line x 140, lovely looking car. I have just a few questions

In front of the gear stick where you can store small items, I have a key sign printed into the rubber of it, does anyone know what that means?

Also I notice a slight rattle/ticking sound in the engine, is that normal?, I did a search and found a video, and a lot of the comments seem too suggest it is.

My first stumbling block was how to reverse,馃槀, realised after a few minutes聽you have to lift the mechanism just under the gear knob.

Thanks聽

• Like 1

key sign will be the emergency keyfob position to start vehicle in theevent of flat fob battery.聽

rattle normal.聽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

key sign will be the emergency keyfob position to start vehicle in theevent of flat fob battery.聽

rattle normal.聽

Ta, is that because its closer to the cars sensor for the keys?

Thanks for confirming about the rattle, I thought it sounded strange so googled it.

Will have all weekend to study more things, I will want to check all the Ford sync stuff and check its all up to date.

1 hour ago, mitch84 said:

Ta, is that because its closer to the cars sensor for the keys?

I believe that's exactly it.聽 馃檪

As for the ticking/rattling, I'd say it's likely the injectors because with the higher pressures they run on fuel systems these days the injectors make more noise as they activate but it's totally normal if that's the sound you're hearing.聽

• Thanks 1

When I lock my car is there a technique to double locking it with the finger sensor.聽
I seem to struggle, I might be聽too聽slow.

Also I have a bit of trouble with the gear shifting when in 5th/6th I struggle to shift it into 3rd/4th, might be me聽just needing to get used to it though.

As long as you touch the bars twice within 2 seconds it should double lock (1x flash then 2x flashes).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tef89 said:

As long as you touch the bars twice within 2 seconds it should double lock (1x flash then 2x flashes).

Thanks I will try it next time.

do you guys use stop/start?

its good but I wonder if it鈥檚 better used on longer journeys where the car is not constantly stopping at traffic lights.

Forgot to add if I use auto beams, when it goes to high beam and it maybe reacts to slow to incoming traffic can I use the left stick to manually turn it off?

31 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Forgot to add if I use auto beams, when it goes to high beam and it maybe reacts to slow to incoming traffic can I use the left stick to manually turn it off?

Yes馃榾

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes馃榾

Might need to change my thread title馃ぃ

• Haha 1

Also I have a bit of trouble with the gear shifting when in 5th/6th I struggle to shift it into 3rd/4th, might be me聽just needing to get used to it though.

I聽 Have had my ST-Line X 140 for 2 months now, covered just over 2600 miles. Lovely car, I am very happy with it apart from a few minor niggles.

I struggled with the gearbox at first, including forgetting 6th altogether for the first few weeks, but I'm 95% ok with it now just the occasional problem coming down from 5th to 4th I sometimes seem to get 6th or 2nd to 3rd I sometimes get 5th. It was also a bit notchy in feel for the first month but seems to have freed up a bit now, unless it's just me getting used to it.

I turn stop/start off unless I know I'm going to be stationary for more than 30 seconds. I did some experimenting over the first few weeks and didn't notice any real difference in mpg with it on.

Was quite impressed with the Auto high beam feature the other morning. It was quite foggy for the first few miles of my journey and I noticed it didn't go to full beam at all. Which it what you want in those conditions as full beam just glares back at you from the fog. As soon as it thinned out a bit it went back to high beam when required. So far it's also been pretty good at turning off in time, Only had to intervene聽 once when I was going down a steep hill it didn't seem to recognise the car coming up the hill.

7 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Also I notice a slight rattle/ticking sound in the engine, is that normal?

Can't say I've heard much ticking or rattling on my MK8 or my MK7.5 140 engine, though it might just be my dodgy hearing. With the bonnet up聽 it is just barely noticeable to me, but I've heard a few people mention they can be a bit noisy due to the high pressure direct injection system.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Blatto said:

I聽 Have had my ST-Line X 140 for 2 months now, covered just over 2600 miles. Lovely car, I am very happy with it apart from a few minor niggles.

I struggled with the gearbox at first, including forgetting 6th altogether for the first few weeks, but I'm 95% ok with it now just the occasional problem coming down from 5th to 4th I sometimes seem to get 6th or 2nd to 3rd I sometimes get 5th. It was also a bit notchy in feel for the first month but seems to have freed up a bit now, unless it's just me getting used to it.

I turn stop/start off unless I know I'm going to be stationary for more than 30 seconds. I did some experimenting over the first few weeks and didn't notice any real difference in mpg with it on.

Was quite impressed with the Auto high beam feature the other morning. It was quite foggy for the first few miles of my journey and I noticed it didn't go to full beam at all. Which it what you want in those conditions as full beam just glares back at you from the fog. As soon as it thinned out a bit it went back to high beam when required. So far it's also been pretty good at turning off in time, Only had to intervene聽 once when I was going down a steep hill it didn't seem to recognise the car coming up the hill.

Can't say I've heard much ticking or rattling on my MK8 or my MK7.5 140 engine, though it might just be my dodgy hearing. With the bonnet up聽 it is just barely noticeable to me, but I've heard a few people mention they can be a bit noisy due to the high pressure direct injection system.

Thanks, I will have a play with the gear stick with the engine off聽to get used to the changes I think.

As for the engine sound, I found a thread in here with loads of members videos and it sounded the same and everyone suggested it鈥檚 normal, will try to get link later to show you.

Also does anyone have hill start enabled it鈥檚 off on mine which I presume is the default, but mine is slightly used so it could of been changed to off?

Night update:

first time driving home at night, experience was great, unlocked car lit up like Blackpool illuminations, turned engine on and headlights came on.

I have it set on auto lights, saw some up down聽movement in the headlights while at a standstill as if they were adjusting, is this the adaptive headlamps feature where they move depending on objects and road layout?聽

Anyway I have the led headlights and they are great , pure white light and great output, the auto high beam also worked brilliantly with oncoming traffic.

one other thing when I was parked up, engine on I got out to check lights, I noticed the bottom right fog light was on or that鈥檚 what I believe it was, can anyone explain this please, is it that cornering thing I have seen mentioned, I did have my wheels slightly turned right when I parked earlier in the day.

When you collected the car from the dealer, did they not spend 15 to 20 minutes or so, taking you through the features of the car with a "how to" , showing you what does what etc??聽

We had to fill in a form appraising our sale person from him ordering our new cars to showing us how to use our new cars.聽

He even paired our phones, set up Ford Pass account etc etc.

I notice you mention the LED headlights being good. This was an option I was keen to add to my car as I said I wanted brighter lights and would add the full led units but was talked out of it by the sales guy as he said for the extra cost they were a little underwhelming?

7 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Night update:

first time driving home at night, experience was great, unlocked car lit up like Blackpool illuminations, turned engine on and headlights came on.

I have it set on auto lights, saw some up down聽movement in the headlights while at a standstill as if they were adjusting, is this the adaptive headlamps feature where they move depending on objects and road layout?聽

Anyway I have the led headlights and they are great , pure white light and great output, the auto high beam also worked brilliantly with oncoming traffic.

one other thing when I was parked up, engine on I got out to check lights, I noticed the bottom right fog light was on or that鈥檚 what I believe it was, can anyone explain this please, is it that cornering thing I have seen mentioned, I did have my wheels slightly turned right when I parked earlier in the day.

I have the LED headlamp option on my car. They are not adaptive but they do self level which is what you can see on start up.

The fog lights double as cornering lights which activate depending on the steering wheel angle / direction. Shame they are not LED also.

You also have dynamic indicators on the front (but not on the back)聽

My view on the LED headlamp option is that its worthwhile because the standard headlamps are not good and I live out in the sticks.

They are not the best LED or Xenon that I've experienced (not fantastic range on full beam) but in my view they are worth the money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Thanks, I will have a play with the gear stick with the engine off聽to get used to the changes I think.

As for the engine sound, I found a thread in here with loads of members videos and it sounded the same and everyone suggested it鈥檚 normal, will try to get link later to show you.

Also does anyone have hill start enabled it鈥檚 off on mine which I presume is the default, but mine is slightly used so it could of been changed to off?

I think hill start is disabled by default because I've just turned mine on in the driver assist options聽

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Piston Head said:

I have the LED headlamp option on my car. They are not adaptive but they do self level which is what you can see on start up.

The fog lights double as cornering lights which activate depending on the steering wheel angle / direction. Shame they are not LED also.

You also have dynamic indicators on the front (but not on the back)聽

My view on the LED headlamp option is that its worthwhile because the standard headlamps are not good and I live out in the sticks.

They are not the best LED or Xenon that I've experienced (not fantastic range on full beam) but in my view they are worth the money.

On the specs of my car before I purchased it had a feature listed called adaptive headlamps, but perhaps that was a mistake, not worried either way after reading a few issues that can occur, I don't like the cornering lights, don't see the point in them, I think as they are fog lights as well, halogen is better in fog, where LED just shines back at you.

I thought the LED range was excellent on full beam.

Also whats dynamic indicators?

3 hours ago, Piston Head said:

I think hill start is disabled by default because I've just turned mine on in the driver assist options聽

Thanks, I will leave it off then, not sure its something I would require that often.

Just need to sort out my car insurance, AXA quoted me a crazy amount to change my vehicle , so I cancelled and am looking elsewhere now.

15 hours ago, Blatto said:

This thread below is a bit like what I hear, perhaps not as loud though, when I heard it my engine was cold and I had my car down side of house between to walls so maybe amplified the sound more聽as well so maybe that didn't help. All say its normal.

Also whats dynamic indicators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0O3duRtiSQ

• Thanks 1

I actually find hill start assist useful as you don't need to use the handbrake

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Piston Head said:

I actually find hill start assist useful as you don't need to use the handbrake

Wow, so you can stop on an incline without putting hand break on ?

The hill start assist programme keeps the brakes applied for a few seconds whilst you drive off.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Piston Head said:

The hill start assist programme keeps the brakes applied for a few seconds whilst you drive off.

Ah so hand break still needed聽but after release it will hold while gas is applied to help drive off, pretty neat that.

Also on the indicators, I watched that video, is it basically the light effect and how the light strobes across the lens.聽

Just now, mitch84 said:

Ah so hand break still needed聽but after release it will hold while gas is applied help drive off.

Also on the indicators, I watched that video, is it basically the light effect and how the light strobes across the lens.聽

No you don't need the handbrake - you apply the footbrake and when you need to move off you release it and the system holds the brake for the few seconds allowing you to push the accelerator pedal, lift the clutch and pull away normally at which point the brakes are released.

And yes thats dynamic indicators

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piston Head said:

No you don't need the handbrake - you apply the footbrake and when you need to move off you release it and the system holds the brake for the few seconds allowing you to push the accelerator pedal, lift the clutch and pull away normally at which point the brakes are released.

And yes thats dynamic indicators

Ah ok so I need to keep foot applied to break peddle聽all the time until ready to move.

Not had much time with car yet, but have weekend off so will be able to test stuff and learn all the controls.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club