Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus MK2 low mpg forscan

madman

Hello

My focus MK2 1.6 ti-vct on dash is only saying I'm getting 18-20 average mpg, I know the focus mk2 are not good on petrol.

Also everytime I fill car up pump keeps cutting out, put 20 quid in Sainsbury's last night and had the nozzle about 2 inches in and had go at snails pace to put 20 quid in 

I have forscan is there anyway from this diagnostic program I can find any faults or mpg?.

Thanks

Mpg could be poor if the engine thermostat needs replacing and the engines running a bit cool and you do a lot of short journeys as well. 

I wouldn't put too much effort into it based on the mpg figure on the dash. you need to do it like this: fill up to brim, note mileage. Use car until gauge low. Fill to brim noting how much fuel you put in to get it back to brim. Note mileage. Work out mpg from the difference between the two mileage readings and how much fuel it took to get it back to the brim. This figure will be more accurate than what the car's computer says.

2 hours ago, isetta said:

I wouldn't put too much effort into it based on the mpg figure on the dash. you need to do it like this: fill up to brim, note mileage. Use car until gauge low. Fill to brim noting how much fuel you put in to get it back to brim. Note mileage. Work out mpg from the difference between the two mileage readings and how much fuel it took to get it back to the brim. This figure will be more accurate than what the car's computer says.

Agree with this, when I got my ST filled it to the top and it said 190 miles to empty!! Drove 210 miles and there was still half a tank left

1 hour ago, jonj1611 said:

Agree with this, when I got my ST filled it to the top and it said 190 miles to empty!! Drove 210 miles and there was still half a tank left

That's because the computer goes off average MPG over a certain period. If it has been ragged around for a few weeks then it will give you little range. Then if you don't hammer it you'll be getting better MPG but will take a while to affect the range.

Now mine has settled down since buying my ST the range is within 10 miles or so I'd say.

You must be driving it like a granny to be able to get 400 odd miles out of a tank though 🤷‍♂️. Most I've had is 300 and that was 70mph on the motorway for a lot of it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club