Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK6 fiesta power steering noise after engine warms up

klaudmjj

I have recently bought a 2008 Fiesta Zetec 1.4

When I start the car cold, and move the steering about while standing still you cant really hear any whining although if you listen closely you can.

When the car heats up, however, that's when the whining starts to become more noticeable and there is also a slight vibration of the steering wheel when turning (while stationary).

When I do speed up the noise goes away (it probably still is there but cant hear it due to tire noise etc) and the steering wheel vibrations go away. It only happens at slow speeds 0-5mph.

The car has been serviced every year since new and I do have the service history for that. Last service was at 58250 miles, the car currently has 58440 miles. Cambelt was changed at 42k. I know the car has fresh oil but do not know when all the other fluids were changed.

I bought the car off a mechanic who has worked on the car. He said if I have any issues to bring it back to him, so today I did and he said that could be because the car was sitting inside a show room for a long time and If I eventually go for a long journey it should stabilise but I don't really believe that.

I have a video so you can hear the noise. (best heard with headphones) The engine in the video is warmed up.

What is the best thing I could do?

Might be a silly question but have you checked there is enough fluid in the reservoir? 

Yes the level is above minimum marking. I'm getting a lot of answers, from the steering column going dry and needs lubrication, auxiliary drive belt needing replacement to the steering pump itself or just simply changing the oil. I think the easiest would be lubricating the steering column so I could try that.

Steering column wouldn't cause that sort of noise. Sounds as though your noise if definitely coming from the pump, is there any bits of swarf in the fluid? 

I didnt see any swarf in the fluid, the fluid is dark in colour however.

• 1 year later...

Did you ever solve the issue because mine does same quiet when cold noise when warm no vibration tho and mine was low on fluid and cap missing so I replaced cap and topped up and it helped but still there slightly when warm

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club