Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wierd steering/starting issue

gyislander

I have a really wierd issue with my 2011 Ka tdci. When I start it it fires up instantly but the battery light stays on and the power steering doesn't work. The steering warning light does not come on and the battery is charging fine, If I switch off and restart within 20 seconds no battery light, steering works fine and battery charges as before. On the second start I can hear and feel an electric click from the electronic steering unit on the colum and another click after I switch off. Leave it more than 20 seconds and theres no click or power steering. I've cleaned all the battery and alternator connections and earths and fitted a new battery. There are no OBD codes showing or pending. The only other unusual thing is that the dash light in general seem to vary at different times as to how long before they extinguish. I've tried starting with the alternator disconnected incase its spiking but made no difference.

Is there any fix possible or is it indeed a complete replacement job ? Or is there another possible cause I'm missing ?

Probably the alternator is begining to fail. Brushes might be dirty due to wear and are starting to lose contact. Wierd things can start happening depending on how the car is wired. The alternator might not be able to supply both battery and power steering due to bad contact, but could appear to work charging one device. The power steering may also need the alternator to work properly, depending on how it is wired.

Alternator is putting out 14.2v on idle and maintains that with all the lights on too. As above, makes no difference if alt is disconnected.

So when the alternator is charging at 14.2 the power steering is still not working? 

51 minutes ago, iantt said:

So when the alternator is charging at 14.2 the power steering is still not working? 

Charging is irrelevant to it working or not. Issue is that on initial start it doesnt work (and battery light stays on despite charging) but restart within 20 seconds everything is fine. Its on initial start (after 20+ seconds off) that the steering ecu isnt clicking into action.

If it is putting out 14.2v with the lights on then I think the alternator should be ok. Could be a bad connection on the back of the fuse box going to the alternator. A connector might be blackened and will need replacing.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was going to suggest a look at the engine bay fuse box, esp as your heater fan isn't working as that fan gets its power from the same fusebox. 

Fan issue was just a loose connection. Tried a few different things; steering module is getting a good 12v dropping slightly on cranking. Pins on the multi plug are 12v on one and signal voltage on the rest. Car will start with the heavy +ve and groung cables disconnected. Won't start with the multi plug disconnected and shows the immobiliser red light so obviouslt the steering ecu needs signals from somewhere to work.  Still haven't found a proper wiring diagram to see where everything connects. I am tempted just to put a replacement steering column in but the mystery remains as to why the steering ecu solenoid only clicks into operation at the second time of asking.

• 2 weeks later...

Put in another steering column from a breakers but no joy. My scanner wont read the car as a ford but does as some fiat models. It gives codes U1702 U0019 U0426 and U 1700. They can all be cleared apart from U0019 which it says is a B-can line wiring fault. Really need to try and get some diagrams.

Discovered that even if the ignition is just switched on (rather than car started) then off then started everything works ok !

Interesting to find that when running but faulty, the scanner shows engine status as parking as opposed to running when everything is ok. I just need to figure out what gives the ecu the message.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, did you ever find a fix for this as I am having the same exact issue?

• 11 months later...

hi I have just purchased a Ford ka 2011 3days ago and I am having the same fault with battery light staying on and steering not working on first engine start up but if you switch off then restart it all works fine so has anyone resolved this issue yet and it looks like a new alternator fitted so looks like someone has passed the fault to me any info would be appreciated 

1 hour ago, Lee walters said:

so has anyone resolved this issue yet

I would hope that the issues above have been fixed otherwise that's a lot of Ka's that been scrapped.

You need to go to the Fiat 500 forums and ask there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, unofix said:

You need to go to the Fiat 500 forums and ask there.

Put "Fiat 500 battery light power steering fault" or similar into your favourite search engine and you should get lots of results. From what I've seen, poor battery condition, low state of charge or related issues are often the problem.

did any one ever resolve this issue..having same problem even after a new alternator and new battery   thanks

1 minute ago, french connection said:

did any one ever resolve this issue.

Not here on the Ford site that I know of. It is a common issue over on the Fiat 500 forum which is actually what a Ford Ka is.

Just use Google and do a quick search.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:20 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Put "Fiat 500 battery light power steering fault" or similar into your favourite search engine and you should get lots of results. From what I've seen, poor battery condition, low state of charge or related issues are often the problem.

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

Not here on the Ford site that I know of. It is a common issue over on the Fiat 500 forum which is actually what a Ford Ka is.

Just use Google and do a quick search.

thanks will look

On 4/28/2020 at 6:22 PM, gyislander said:

Interesting to find that when running but faulty, the scanner shows engine status as parking as opposed to running when everything is ok. I just need to figure out what gives the ecu the message.

Hi. I see on one thread the reason for this. About non factory alternators the elctrics act up.  But how did ya fix the problem. Or didnt you please ?

2 hours ago, french connection said:

But how did ya fix the problem. Or didnt you please ?

You won't get an answer from @gyislander they were last on the forum 4th June 2020

8 hours ago, unofix said:

You won't get an answer from @gyislander they were last on the forum 4th June 2020

Ok. I see he put the reason for it happening on fiat, but not how it was solved.. new battery and 3 alternators later still happening, 2 different mechanics. Machine dont pick the issue up...its just getting annoying haha 

Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club